• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2012 - It's Never to Early, Oct 11-14

486 posts in this topic

hotel booked:

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel

I am staying across the river but I was able to get it for under 200$ a night so I figure its worth the travel time to the site.

The last time I stayed at their marina, they charged my card twice. They would not refund the double charge.

So you can stay for free this time hm

Nope! My wife made several calls about this. I won't even buy fuel there anymore.

Did your CC take care of it?

Nope! Lincoln Harbor had the expiration date of the card. The CC company wouldn't remove it. We gave them the card number only to reserve a spot. When we got there, we paid cash. The day after we left, they charged the card as well. (we had reciepts for both cash and card) Despite all of our attempts, they wouldn't refund us the double charge. I call that robbery.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to going to the con this year. :)

We will most likely be staying here.

http://www.thenorthcove.com/

I'll be there Thursday and Friday and will most likely stay with my wife's grandfather on Long Island. There's a train station right near his house, so I'll just park there, take the train in, and then hoof it to the convention.

I am staying at my own home in NJ, right near Rutgers. It can be a bit of a drive, but sleeping in my own bed is wonderful after a long con day. Access to the woman who sleeps next to me is also beneficial.

I just paypal'ed Jonathan Case for my advance order and NYCC pickup! watercolor Dr. Strange coming my way. Add this to the Mike McKone piece (tentative but pretty much guaranteed), and an accepted Andy MacDonald big'un and I am already doing pretty well for this show. And it is still August! I also plan on a 2 character Ben Templesmith advance order and have emailed Stephane Roux, Sean Chen and Tom Raney as well about advance pieces. Think I am a bit eager for the show?

Which artist are YOU hoping to get a sketch from? Your #1 target, so to speak. On the list now it may well be Jimmy Cheung for me, but Sienkiewicz isn't listed yet and he will move to #1 when he is! I got an idea for him...

Most of mine are allready set up.

Talking to JSC to see if he had a chance to finish my home commission. No worries there.

Then off to Mcniven and Brooks. This show will be pretty much be hanging out

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157

Mike

Do you have something set up in advance with McNiven or just going for getting on his list?

Most of mine are allready set up.

Talking to JSC to see if he had a chance to finish my home commission. No worries there.

Then off to Mcniven and Brooks. This show will be pretty much be hanging out

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157

Mike

All of mine are also set up in advance. I talked to Lisa and Mark yesterday they told me that he was not taking any advance commissions for NYCC. So I am jealous if you have one already set up some how and if not ill see you at his table.

Emauala is doing a Magik for me on 11x17 in gold silver and glossy ink.

At the show she will be doing some kind a cover for me as well I have to decide on the character.

I will be getting a Jon Hughes X23 full color (since he didnt have it in Chicago)

Scott Blair - 2 sketches not sure what yet

I asked for fiona staples to do something still waiting to hear back

asrar is doing a super girl on 11x14 refused to do a cover for me.

Clay Mann is doing Rogue cover and another character on 11x17 not sure what yet.

I spoke with Mark and Lisa this week, they added my name to his show list but said he wasnt taking any advance commissions because he is in Singapore until September 2nd and then he has Vegas and NYC. So he is busting a ss to get his Marvel stuff done right now. I will be picking up my X-Men Legacy 275 cover art from him though at the show.

I have an email out to Terry Dodson still waiting to hear back from him

I may or may not get an Ebas depending on time.

Thankfully all these are preset so I can just get in line for Cheung at the show. I have a couple friends with me so I plan to make them wait also. Hoping that with the dealer passes we have that we can score a couple off him.

I would love to get a JSC but like I said ill be Cheungs line at the start of the show. So it probably wont happen.

I guess I should reword.

I talked to Mark and Steve my intentions for the show. Both seemed very recepetive about what I was looking for. I still have to get there early.

JSC I'm not in a rush to get there. I've seen my piece so far. ;)

Many of you are getting rooms in the city... bleh...

There are plenty of places that are MUCH cheaper on Long Island and across the street from the Long Island Railroad or in Queens and Brooklyn and right by the subway.

For example...

The Best Western is right across from the Rockville Centre (Nassau County) station and you would be about 35 minutes out of Manhattan with a final destination of Penn Station. Simply walk down the block. There are other hotels a block away from that train station as well.

There are MANY hotels in Long Island City (Queens) that are near the subways. Just jump on the subway and go crosstown to be within a few blocks from the Javits.

Staying in the city can be costly. Spend that money on comic books instead.

I chose to being close to the city just to hang out and with my buds. Last year I had a hotel literally on 47th and Broadway at the Millenium. With Priceline I had it as a steal. Plus it didn't hurt once we were done drinking it was a short walk back to the hotel.

I wouldn't want to be buzzed on a 20-30 minute train back to the hotel. I'd probably fall asleep. ;)

I chose to being close to the city just to hang out and with my buds. Last year I had a hotel literally on 47th and Broadway at the Millenium. With Priceline I had it as a steal. Plus it didn't hurt once we were done drinking it was a short walk back to the hotel.

I wouldn't want to be buzzed on a 20-30 minute train back to the hotel. I'd probably fall asleep. ;)

Been there! lol

I just set up 2 more (both tentative until they start official lists, but I am on them no problem I think) - Tom Raney and Eric Canete. Tom Raney agreed to a 2 figure Dr. Strange and Eternity and given his recent commission work it should be really stellar. I am going with an underwater Valkyrie with Eric. Not The Valkyrie from Marvel but something mythic, and then underwater. I am excited about both these ideas and think they really fit the artists well. So excited I may have shot myself in the foot with such full, and premature, disclosure!