• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con 2012

437 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say that me and the wife enjoyed talking to Bob Storms and Steve Borock. We tried to talk to Roy but he was too busy lining up slabs or something. There was another guy at Bobs booth with an accent but he wasn't much interested either. lol I've talked to Steve the past two years and he has been one of the nicest people I've ever met at any of the cons.

I'll never go on Saturday again :sumo: (unless there is an exclusive sig on Sat.) I went Friday and there were lots of people sure, but it wasn't packed, just casually busy at best.

I would like to rant that, exhibitors should not be allowed to purchase ECC Exclusives until after the show is over. They are already there to make money (and they surely did with sounds of it!), and the general public should get first pick. I arrived almost two hours early and still had no shot at getting a WD Compendium and I'm okay with that. But when I heard exhibitors just lined up on the inside of the door and ran to the Image booth when it opened....c'mon!

Jerome

I'll never go on Saturday again :sumo: (unless there is an exclusive sig on Sat.) I went Friday and there were lots of people sure, but it wasn't packed, just casually busy at best.

I would like to rant that, exhibitors should not be allowed to purchase ECC Exclusives until after the show is over. They are already there to make money (and they surely did with sounds of it!), and the general public should get first pick. I arrived almost two hours early and still had no shot at getting a WD Compendium and I'm okay with that. But when I heard exhibitors just lined up on the inside of the door and ran to the Image booth when it opened....c'mon!

Jerome

This does sound a little screwed up. So, they buy whatever comics hot at the moment out at cost, then sell them higher? How come it's like that?

"Massive fubar at the opening."

I arrived at Emerald late, as I was busy visiting the Half Price bookstores, and Magus where I was lucky enough to pick up a Gaiman signed 1st printing of "Anansi Boys."

My 2 buddies who did not prepay online just breezed in and got their badges at the SAME time as they paid in less than 2 minutes.

All the other geeks like myself who prepaid months ahead of time and have been supporting Emerald for 10 years had to line up for at least 25 minutes to pick up our entry badge. This was at 3:30 pm Friday when the gates opened at 2:00 pm! So Emerald had a steady NON-stop line up just to get thru the front door. :frustrated:

I almost bought a Planet #13 reading copy, as I could not find any good OA published covers to buy. All the back issue "deals" were already scooped up on the Thurs. dealer set up or early Friday by Harley, greggy, VintageRoy, joeypal. All that was left to choose from were vf SA Marvels which I don't collect, as they are too common.

This does sound a little screwed up. So, they buy whatever comics hot at the moment out at cost, then sell them higher? How come it's like that?

It's way screwed up, Image should have made people show their badges and Exhibitors should've been excluded. They also should have given out tickets (just like for the Kirkman signing) on one end of the booth ($100 for one ticket, 1 per person) and trade the red ticket for the compendium on the other side of the booth. Easy as that.

Instead, it was unfair, unorganized and I know at least two people who got their hands on more than one in the process.

Now I don't blame them for having two, heck I'd try to do the same, but the point is organization and rules are now necessary at Comicon's these days. They are far too popular anymore.

rantrant

Jerome

Very logical and straight forward to pre-sell $100 WD ltd edition x 33 per morning and forget about waiting for a draw. Too crowded and hot at Emerald anyways.

I visited Electronic Music Project aka EMP for the 1st time. Tix were $20 each and a greatly enjoyed the Jimi Hendrix tribute, as I used to live a few blocks from where he used to stay and visit with his grandmother in Chinatown, Vancouver, BC. Another book geek on the right (not aardvark88):

IMG_17821.jpg

Right hand side is Seattle Space Needle, left is EMP museum designed by architect Frank Gehry (sp?), foreground is the mid-60s monorail:

IMG_17801.jpg

There was an incredible 4 storey tower of guitars, and a history of the guitar exhibit at EMP. I know we have some guitarists on our forum:

IMG_17861.jpg

I don't know much about horror movies but they had an excellent comparison of 1930s b/w movie genres versus the 1970s update (European vs USA) with interviews of director John Landis and actors.

IMG_17891.jpg

The desk touch screen computer was a neat interactive prop from Avatar exhibit. Reminded me of the virtual wall computer Tom Cruise accessed in that sci-fi detective on the run "Minority Report" movie based on Philip K. Dic k novel.

Went to the Half Price warehouse $3 sale. Think it only happens twice a year in north Seattle. Incredible bargains in foreign dvd's, $1 music cd's over 10,000 selection, Archie comics cd-roms, How to learn a language cd's, 100s of books on tape when u are too busy to read a paper book, about 16 long boxes of 25c overstocked reader comics.

It was the 10th anniversary of Gaiman's "American Gods" so Barnes Noble released a deluxe leatherette hardcover with embossed edges of it and "Anansi Boys." It was racked next to leather reprint volumes of great classics like Dracula, compilations by HP Lovecraft, EA Poe, Sherlock Holmes, Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" and Ernest Hemmingway.

My best buy was at University Bookstore. Scored a deluxe hardcover in slipcase of Grimm's Fairy Tales with several color plates by the great Arthur Rackham. These were originally released at $100 decades ago, now I saved a lot of $$ as it was a used book. (thumbs u

IMG_17921.jpg

i lined up early for the kirkman signing & was one of the first people in the line up to g et in the con... on the way to get the sign tickets & literally got pushed & shoved & some **** nearly shoved me into a booth trying to push me out of the way it was a complete mess ... There was also people handing out tickets for some WD book at the same time which only served to confuse people more

3 days at the con & i couldn't get a ticket for kirkman... 3 days at the con & i didn't get a ticket for kirkman & i didn't get stuff signed for tony either because no one at the cgc booth told me that the private signing was only for one day :S

I am home now & will post more when I've had time to chill best parts of the con imo were bumping into wolf_2099 & "mike" from the cgc booth (worship)

Also, just thought I'd let folks know that Zenescope is trying to make ammends for the snafu and has an email address set up on their website to place orders for the exclusives (only allowing two copies allowed of each). My order has been placed!

What I'm curious about is if anyone here bought the VIP pass and was it worth it? If you were able to get the exclusives? I also noticed (like others) the line for non pre-registered folks was non existant.

Was the vip pass for everything or just the media people ?.. I can't picture someone cutting in front of everyone in a kirkman signing or to get a WD exclusive or any line in the general convention going over well lol specially with how it was this year ...

Looks like i was right about the amount of people apparently they had a fire marshal come in & made them stop selling & so people couldn't come in

Also, just thought I'd let folks know that Zenescope is trying to make ammends for the snafu and has an email address set up on their website to place orders for the exclusives (only allowing two copies allowed of each). My order has been placed!

Sorry. The snafu fix information is posted on Zenescopes Facebook page. I'd post the address but I'm using my cell phone. Hope this helps and they were really quick to respond - good luck.

The Image Expo in Oakland, CA just a few months ago featured Robert Kirkman, who was very accessible, no tickets needed, and at certain points, no lines either, you could walk up, chat and get a photo as well as an autograph with him. It was a great show and opportunity for fans to interact with a lot of the creators. If that show returns next year with the same guests, I'd advise attending that one to get your signatures and have a very nice fan friendly experience without pushing, shoving or chaos.

i lined up early for the kirkman signing & was one of the first people in the line up to g et in the con... on the way to get the sign tickets & literally got pushed & shoved & some **** nearly shoved me into a booth trying to push me out of the way it was a complete mess ... There was also people handing out tickets for some WD book at the same time which only served to confuse people more

3 days at the con & i couldn't get a ticket for kirkman... 3 days at the con & i didn't get a ticket for kirkman & i didn't get stuff signed for tony either because no one at the cgc booth told me that the private signing was only for one day :S

I am home now & will post more when I've had time to chill best parts of the con imo were bumping into wolf_2099 & "mike" from the cgc booth (worship)

The Image Expo in Oakland, CA just a few months ago featured Robert Kirkman, who was very accessible, no tickets needed, and at certain points, no lines either, you could walk up, chat and get a photo as well as an autograph with him. It was a great show and opportunity for fans to interact with a lot of the creators. If that show returns next year with the same guests, I'd advise attending that one to get your signatures and have a very nice fan friendly experience without pushing, shoving or chaos.

I miss the day when ECCC was like this too. Now, it's way too big and just too crowded, in my opinion.