• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

It’s less a need to sell and more of I hate having dead stock because I’d rather have cash flow for buying more.  

definitely have very little in anything I’m selling, which is nice. Makes the pill easier to swallow when you have like, $.15 to $.50 in each book.  

Very slow so far this year. The only things I have sold with any frequency are 1st appearances and facsimile copies of 1st appearances

1st Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3 copies sold this year

1st Appearance Fathom 3 copies this year

1st Shuri appearance 3 copies ytd

Facsimile of Werewolf by Night #32 1st Moon Knight I have sold 12 copies ytd

On 5/11/2023 at 11:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

Summer season Many cons. U buy cheap u will be fine. Slab markets is really taking hits right now. Many raw books still selling well right now. Unless u need the cash stay the course or leave me less competition lol.

It depends on the age/era. Modern slabs have slowed on eBay, but GA/SA/BA are still selling well at or above GPA (my Clink consignments have been 🤮 though across the board). Slabs of all ages have sold well for me the past two shows. I expect this to change as the economy seems headed for a recession though.

Edited by kimik

On 5/12/2023 at 4:43 PM, kimik said:

It depends on the age/era. Modern slabs have slowed on eBay, but GA/SA/BA are still selling well at or above GPA (my Clink consignments have been 🤮 though across the board). Slabs of all ages have sold well for me the past two shows. I expect this to change as the economy seems headed for a recession though.

I am fairly certain on the fact that slab sales are slowing in many eras especially modern and copper. It's just oversaturation it will slowly even out. You can see the moaning on facebook any day currently. Grading has gotten tighter as well so the "break out and reslab" sellers have slowed down that  part of the hobby some.

Keys are never really going to depress a whole lot,(Maybe modern though) but my last two shows only GA slabs were good sales I knew of. SA and BA sat except for real keys. (The other thing to remember there is the profit margin is not as big many times.) Again all know more in a month at my next show even though my area is notoriously cheap. All ask all my sellers about slab sales this time.  Your area might have more available cash or more slab collectors honestly we don't seem to have either in my area currently. Although I did sell a nice Spawn 2 slab last show.

Edited by fastballspecial

I am seeing more slab collectors locally. Part of it is due to the economy, but a lot of it is driven by overgrading/overpricing by local stores and other sellers. I price at GPA + exchange rate for graded books, and others have their raw books at the same or higher prices. It makes buying slabs from me an easy decision.

There is still a healthy flipping crowd here in Alberta as well. I am fine giving them a reasonable (10-15%) discount on graded common SA/BA books as that would be my cost to submit/ship and auction fees. If they can make a profit on that price then great as they will buy more next show.

Edited by kimik

On 5/12/2023 at 6:02 PM, kimik said:

I am seeing more slab collectors locally. Part of it is due to the economy, but a lot of it is driven by overgrading/overpricing by local stores and other sellers. I price at GPA + exchange rate for graded books, and others have their raw books at the same or higher prices. It makes buying slabs from me an easy decision.

There is still a healthy flipping crowd here in Alberta as well. I am fine giving them a reasonable (10-15%) discount on graded common SA/BA books as that would be my cost to submit/ship and auction fees. If they can make a profit on that price then great as they will buy more next show.

My one shop is full of slabs now.  You can tell when they finally learned how to grade too or started using a submitter. Their grades were 7s to 8s for several books that they didn't pre scan moderns. Now they are pre-scanning they are coming back with higher grades. I can't imagine how many submitter fees they lost because many are effectively worthless in 7.0/8.0 for modern books. (At least 150+ I think) Then they have slabs like Adam Blue which they could sell, but they are asking $550+ in 9.4 instead of discounting to a make the sale. 

My other two local shops are much more selective on what they slab which are either very hard to find modern/copper books or Silver Age/Bronze Keys. They do really well there, but its only like 10% of their inventory or less. The other shop has tons of display cases with slabs that just sit there.

Its a lessen in inventory management and greed. 

On 5/14/2023 at 7:08 AM, awakeintheashes said:

My year hasn’t been terrible. Some months were quite slow, but diversifying over the years has been the key. Granted, nothing will compare to the peak pandemic boom where people were buying anything at whatever price you put on it, but the market isn’t dead.

Older video game comics will sell one month, random Star Wars books or magazines the next. Out of print TPBs or new ones purchased at a very very steep discount have been a constant. 

You won’t be on top of all the trends, and it’s not worth chasing them because that trend will be over once you’ve acquired the inventory. Everything comes back around, though. So, if you’ve got the space, buy that old trend at ice cold prices. 

You have summed up everything after Covid right there. Its the same philosophy before Covid people just forgot it for awhile or they thought Covid
was how sales were going to be going forwarded. 

On 5/15/2023 at 6:28 AM, fastballspecial said:

My one shop is full of slabs now.  You can tell when they finally learned how to grade too or started using a submitter. Their grades were 7s to 8s for several books that they didn't pre scan moderns. Now they are pre-scanning they are coming back with higher grades. I can't imagine how many submitter fees they lost because many are effectively worthless in 7.0/8.0 for modern books. (At least 150+ I think) Then they have slabs like Adam Blue which they could sell, but they are asking $550+ in 9.4 instead of discounting to a make the sale. 

My other two local shops are much more selective on what they slab which are either very hard to find modern/copper books or Silver Age/Bronze Keys. They do really well there, but its only like 10% of their inventory or less. The other shop has tons of display cases with slabs that just sit there.

Its a lessen in inventory management and greed. 

Sounds horrible. At least shops should stay away slapping comics that are not grails (raw over 1000$) or keys that are 9.8.
Like that Adam Blue Marvel why would someone pay extra for slabbed 9.4 than a raw high grade comic? There is zero change of restoration on those kinda books.
and that comic book is still much better candidate for slapping than 95% of slabbed comics :/

On 5/16/2023 at 3:46 AM, godzilla43 said:

Sounds horrible. At least shops should stay away slapping comics that are not grails (raw over 1000$) or keys that are 9.8.
Like that Adam Blue Marvel why would someone pay extra for slabbed 9.4 than a raw high grade comic? There is zero change of restoration on those kinda books.
and that comic book is still much better candidate for slapping than 95% of slabbed comics :/

Agreed, shops should not be slapping their comics, especially grails....:kidaround:

On 5/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, gradejunky said:

Agreed, shops should not be slapping their comics, especially grails....:kidaround:

If Batman can slap Robin (a minor by the way) then anybody, anywhere can get a slapping!

On 5/18/2023 at 6:20 AM, fastballspecial said:

Well the cat is out of the bag now on ASM 26. Now this will really test how popular that 
character actually is. Out of all the characters they had to play with why they killed this
one really doesn't make alot of sense.

Who they kill? Was it MJ? hm

On 5/18/2023 at 6:20 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well the cat is out of the bag now on ASM 26. Now this will really test how popular that 
character actually is. Out of all the characters they had to play with why they killed this
one really doesn't make alot of sense.

will anyone care? 

A)  no doubt will return in near future anyway.

B) even if it was permanent, is it really going to upset the comic fandom like Marvel was letting on?     

Edited by MGH

On 5/18/2023 at 11:36 AM, PeterPark said:
On 5/18/2023 at 10:19 AM, Tnexus said:

Spoiler Ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

Kamala Khan

That will last a comically short amount of time...

pun intended.

Yup.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, fastballspecial said:

It’s a lessen in inventory management and greed. 

What you slab definitely matters. I am getting back the SA and BA books I had sitting in my stock pre-Covid or bought at lows in 2020 that are now $150 or more in FN up. 8.0-9.0 mid to late 60s ASMs/FFs/XMen/Batman that no one wanted then at $50 or less are now $200 books graded which is nice (but not as nice as 2021/22 prices :frustrated:). 

I agree that Modern and Copper common books and a lot of keys have crashed, but if you bought the Copper keys/hit books pre-Covid you are still laughing. They still sell, just at lower prices.

I am seeing LCSs accumulating Modern slabs that come in with collections and sit. I can’t believe how many people submitted drek titles that graded 9.0-9.4. Even at the peak, they were not worth slabbing in sub 9.8.