• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, kimik said:

With 189 sold and 0 remaining on just one listing, I'd say quite a few.

Potential investors need to be aware that the market is very slow at present, and given that the US economy is likely to worsen this year, they may be holding onto CGC'ed 9.8's for a while.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:39 AM, World Devourer said:

Potential investors need to be aware that the market is very slow at present, and given that the US economy is likely to worsen this year, they may be holding onto CGC'ed 9.8's for a while.

image.gif.d140770cc5aa8b22651f3cf34eadd690.gif

On 4/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, World Devourer said:

As a guy that's about to turn 50, I'm trying to re-think speculating. If I was giving advice to a 20-something YO, I might say go ahead and buy and hold, because when you're about to turn 50, there will be collectors who weren't around when it came out that will pay a premium for this book. (Think: recent rise in Jim Lee X-Men books and other overprinted Copper keys). But I don't want to be trying to unload books when I'm 80 years old, and I'm sure that whoever is left with that problem if I don't make it to 80 probably won't know how to profit from it.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, World Devourer said:

GDP has a good outlook this year at least so far. Supply chain problems are dwindling in some areas. My company can't produce enough to meet demand and will continue to have that problem for at least another 2 years+. Our sales have almost out past a year for delivery now.

Local shows are doing fine I will do another in June. New dealers at my shows are finding out its not as easy as it looks after their first shows they realize a show is not the same as selling on ebay.

Its the fringe parts of our hobby that are struggling. Slabs(Oversaturation) and Variant cover markets are down. Solid keys are still chugging along. Speculation web sites/apps you can see are struggling to justify their existence currently. I would imagine their subscriber lists will drop off soon if this continues.Ā 

The market is always slow in the Spring/Summer. It will recover. Movies and TV shows will continue to put out some specs including new SW films/TV to name a few along with a nice Blue Beetle trailer. Whats funny is areas of books I would have never thought would ever start selling again are. Western, GA, and War books are all selling at shows. I get repeated requests for them and sell what I have ever show.

Ā 

Edited by fastballspecial

Spider-man #7 spoiler cover is as hot as anything I can remember in a long time. Has busted $50 many times today on eBay. Itā€™s only 3 days. Crazy.Some stuff might fade but this one has a few things going for it. Those would be Miles, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Venom which led to Knull, Carnage, and the list goes on and on. Personally like the Spider-boy costume and while the appearance in inside is somewhat limited, heā€™s on the cover which locks this up as a solid first appearance.Ā 
Ā 

The idea of his history, which both exists and doesnā€™t could lead to some cool tales.Ā 
Ā 

What could ruin it ? A bad story or characterization that sits poorly with collectors. Hoping they have a good story to tellā€¦. šŸ¤žšŸ»

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:10 PM, fastballspecial said:

Mail orders will bring the price down some for a bit in next week or so.

Ā 

Probably. I still think itā€™s a long term winner. Spider-Man comes on every weekday morning at my house. Kids watch it with grandkids. This kid would be a great fit with Peter, Miles, Gwen, and the rest. If it drops enough, grab it šŸ‘šŸ»

On 4/8/2023 at 5:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As a guy that's about to turn 50, I'm trying to re-think speculating. If I was giving advice to a 20-something YO, I might say go ahead and buy and hold, because when you're about to turn 50, there will be collectors who weren't around when it came out that will pay a premium for this book. (Think: recent rise in Jim Lee X-Men books and other overprinted Copper keys). But I don't want to be trying to unload books when I'm 80 years old, and I'm sure that whoever is left with that problem if I don't make it to 80 probably won't know how to profit from it.

Iā€™m 56 and have been super fortunate with spec in general. There have been misses like Superman 204 and some very early Image books. For me, Iā€™m spending until I canā€™t carry the boxes hahaha. Three of my four kids collect and one flips books regularly. I even have a grandkid who reads and collects them but she likes the movies even more. So they will have a good home or two when Iā€™m gone.
Ā 

Have less than 1000 books that are PC. The rest ? Combo of stuff I read and spec on. They all go as soon as it makes sense. Iā€™m certain Iā€™ll be done collecting before 80. I already have every book I wanted as a kid and I love to read new digital stuff even though I buy a ton of physical copies. These small books that have the potential to explode are the most fun spec to me. šŸ»Ā 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:59 PM, the authority said:

Spider-man #7 spoiler cover is as hot as anything I can remember in a long time. Has busted $50 many times today on eBay. Itā€™s only 3 days. Crazy.Some stuff might fade but this one has a few things going for it. Those would be Miles, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Venom which led to Knull, Carnage, and the list goes on and on. Personally like the Spider-boy costume and while the appearance in inside is somewhat limited, heā€™s on the cover which locks this up as a solid first appearance.Ā 
Ā 

The idea of his history, which both exists and doesnā€™t could lead to some cool tales.Ā 
Ā 

What could ruin it ? A bad story or characterization that sits poorly with collectors. Hoping they have a good story to tellā€¦. šŸ¤žšŸ»

It doesn't hurt that Dan Slott teased it on Twitter, basically indicating that he's the real deal. Next one to watch will be his first solo story in the Edge of Spider-verse mini (issue 3). Since pre-orders are still open for that, I expect that will be this generation's Turok #1.

Ā 

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 11.53.58 PM.png

On 4/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, fastballspecial said:

Mail orders will bring the price down some for a bit in next week or so.

The book is hot no denying it, but its only been 3 days lets talk in a few weeks
after mail orders are all in. Right now we are just dealing with part of the print run.

Ā 

I'm just hoping to get the ones I pre-ordered just before the prices started running....:wishluck: