• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Thanks guys... Just curious. Cause these image books are just going crazy.. Thieves is getting more prints, danger girl , secret .. Pretty insane.

Follow and read the ones you like. Drop the rest.

Support the projects you like.

In the long run, that'll bring the good books to the forefront.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

As I recall, WD 1 and 2 were hot right away. By the time issue 7 or 8 came out, 1 and 2 were both in the $30 range. It might have leveled off for years...but the first issues didn't take long to go up.

If $30 is considered hot then I guess it was. I could buy #2 for under $30 just over 2 years ago and #1 averaged $50.

That was a lot for a book that was less than a year old.

Not a lot for a book that is 8 years old.

But then...he was asking if it was hot out of the gate (which it was)...not if it was hot in 2010.

As usual thanks for the narrow view. As Michael stated it was not hot. I was willing to concede the $30 but actually you missed the decimal point.

If it helps, it looks like I paid $17 shipped for my first ebay copy around the time issue #7 dropped.

At the Baltimore Con in 2004, copies were on dealer walls and Kirkman/Moore both sold out of their copies, which were around $5 a pop. IIRC, dealers were asking $15-20.

It does help. Thanks. It confirms it was not hot out of the gate or anytime close to the beginning of the series. The OP asked as a comparison to a few new titles and it does not compare.

Fun little anecdote about a deal between one of my local LCS owners just an hour ago. I went hoping that the Thief of Thieves 2s I saw yesterday were 1st prints (I didnt look very close then....and they weren't). I asked the owner if he had any second print #1s lying around as now I just want to read an ish and see what all the hubbub is about. He acted surprised he didn't have any on the wall, checked his PC and went to his boxes behind the curtain underneath his back issue boxes. He proceded to pull out 3 FIRST PRINTS and said I could have one for cover price. He laid the other two behind the counter. I asked how much he was going to charge for those and his response "probably $5.99". Obviously I said I;d take them. He gave me the suspicious look and said "well I haven't looked them up yet so I'm not positive how much they are." I responded by telling him I was very interested in purchasing them at a fair price to both of us. He asked what they were bringing and I told him I passed on them for $25 (which I did as Chuck has two in his sales thread as I type this). His response was, "I guess I'd let them go for $9.99 each if you bought them both." Obviously I bought them. Three copies for $24 and some change. He was basically finding money he didn't know he had and I was still getting a great deal. I thought this pretty well summarized the earlier posts about suspicious dealers when multiple issues are bought or specific items asked for. Sorry for the rambling.....it was amusing to me.

Fun little anecdote about a deal between one of my local LCS owners just an hour ago. I went hoping that the Thief of Thieves 2s I saw yesterday were 1st prints (I didnt look very close then....and they weren't). I asked the owner if he had any second print #1s lying around as now I just want to read an ish and see what all the hubbub is about. He acted surprised he didn't have any on the wall, checked his PC and went to his boxes behind the curtain underneath his back issue boxes. He proceded to pull out 3 FIRST PRINTS and said I could have one for cover price. He laid the other two behind the counter. I asked how much he was going to charge for those and his response "probably $5.99". Obviously I said I;d take them. He gave me the suspicious look and said "well I haven't looked them up yet so I'm not positive how much they are." I responded by telling him I was very interested in purchasing them at a fair price to both of us. He asked what they were bringing and I told him I passed on them for $25 (which I did as Chuck has two in his sales thread as I type this). His response was, "I guess I'd let them go for $9.99 each if you bought them both." Obviously I bought them. Three copies for $24 and some change. He was basically finding money he didn't know he had and I was still getting a great deal. I thought this pretty well summarized the earlier posts about suspicious dealers when multiple issues are bought or specific items asked for. Sorry for the rambling.....it was amusing to me.

Nice! (thumbs u

Seriously, what is up with some of these LCS owners? I appreciate that they are deluged with new product these days, but even so, unless you've been living in North Korea for the last year or so you should understand that Image no.1's are worth at least keeping an eye on. (shrug)

As I recall, WD 1 and 2 were hot right away. By the time issue 7 or 8 came out, 1 and 2 were both in the $30 range. It might have leveled off for years...but the first issues didn't take long to go up.

If $30 is considered hot then I guess it was. I could buy #2 for under $30 just over 2 years ago and #1 averaged $50.

But then...he was asking if it was hot out of the gate (which it was)...not if it was hot in 2010.

As usual thanks for the narrow view. As Michael stated it was not hot. I was willing to concede the $30 but actually you missed the decimal point.

:slapfight:

"Narrow view" in that I actually answered the question rather than going off on a tangent...?

"Well, since you asked how it was selling in 2003, let me tell you what I remember about 2010..." Very helpful.

And...perhaps you weren't there at the time, or you just don't recall the climate, but Image books were not hot in 2003 the way they are now. Books weren't blowing up overnight simply because they had low print runs and "#1" on the cover. That book was immediately popular, and immediately hot.

"Narrow view" in that I actually answered the question rather than going off on a tangent...?

"Well, since you asked how it was selling in 2003, let me tell you what I remember about 2010..." Very helpful.

And...perhaps you weren't there at the time, or you just don't recall the climate, but Image books were not hot in 2003 the way they are now. Books weren't blowing up overnight simply because they had low print runs and "#1" on the cover. That book was immediately popular, and immediately hot.

I started reading WD at either issue 7 or 8. Time has withered my memory, and I know I have posted about this before. #1s were either $25 or $30 at the time that issue came out. I thought anyone paying that for a seven month old comic was suffering early stage dementia. I thought the same thing when it passed the $100, $200, $500 and $1000 mark.

It didn't seem "hot" like ToT is hot, it was just a #1 that had moved up a little, which was a rarity in 2004.

That's not what I remember at all - I started buying WD off the rack at around issue 6, due to the owner of my LCS saying it was a good read. At that time he was out of #1s (he'd only ordered two copies), but I went back a couple of weeks later and picked up 2 through 5 for cover price.

There really wasn't any momentum on that book for quite a long time - I paid $10 or so for the first WD #1 I bought off ebay.

yeah. i bought my copy of #1 off ebay sometime between the late teens and the early 20's being out.

That's not what I remember at all - I started buying WD off the rack at around issue 6, due to the owner of my LCS saying it was a good read. At that time he was out of #1s (he'd only ordered two copies), but I went back a couple of weeks later and picked up 2 through 5 for cover price.

There really wasn't any momentum on that book for quite a long time - I paid $10 or so for the first WD #1 I bought off ebay.

yeah. i bought my copy of #1 off ebay sometime between the late teens and the early 20's being out.

#2 didn't get heat until mid-2004. It even surpassed #1 in value for a time. I have the Wizard "news" story on it somewhere. $5-10. I was still buying NM+ or better #1's in NH for $20 during late-2005. Sold a lot of these until 2007.

I started WD around issue 7-8. 1 was $20-$30. 2 was harder to get at about the same price

3's were in abundance. I bought 3 3's for 50 cents above cover because of the early hype and 2 4's.

Edited by Rip

:facepalm:

Thanks guys... Just curious. Cause these image books are just going crazy.. Thieves is getting more prints, danger girl , secret .. Pretty insane.

Follow and read the ones you like. Drop the rest.

Support the projects you like.

In the long run, that'll bring the good books to the forefront.

i've taken a different tack; the glut of new titles every week resulted in my dropping them all except Fatale (Brubaker love) and No Place Like Home (boardie support). will pick up the trades for the books that continue to be critically well reviewed.

I didn't get into WD until they were at around issue 40. #1 was going for $30-50 at that time and remained stable until the show. Of course, I thought it was too much at the time. #2 wasn't going for much at all for the longest time. I got my 2-86 off Branget for basically cover price, and that was best deal I ever got on this board.

I had to pay $250 for my #1 (Black label, CGC SS 9.6) last year, so at least I didn't pay out the nose like some others. Of course, I made that back and plenty more with the extra copies I bought and flipped.

ToT has some possibilities, but there is alot of speculation that I don't want to trust.

Edited by lemonman5