• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

we have a store here in niagara falls that dosent even take the books out of the diamond shipping boxes for weeks. they just sit on the floor and you go through them. the store is such a fire hazard, its shocking..boxes everywhere on the floor

wow, a treasure hunt!!!

my lcs puts all but one copy (one raw reader) in bags/boards before they put them on the shelf, so while i do still find VF+ copies, i also find books 8 months old in NM. they also wrap the books in those comic reader pamphlets before asking if you want a bag/putting them in a bag. their rule is 3 copies of one book per customer if the book is new. free for all if it's older.

I have been watching as Venom #1 gold covers gain more attention both in watchers and in price. hm I'm not really sure why but it's interesting to note.

Raw copies are closing in the $25 to $30 range. eBay Completed Listings.

And maybe some shilling going on this particular auction?. I just can't see why you'd pay $50 for something that's been closing at half that price. (shrug) It's number #10 on the list of "Moderns Heating Up". .

I sold all my tot , saga, danger , etc all at a discounted from cover price. I know what they are selling for on the secondary market but I feel no need to squeeze out every penny. I give away to my customers the 1:50,1:100,1:200 variants etc.

Heck I just bought a set of tot 1-2 for $25 and will be selling to my customer for cover less his sub discount rate. For some it is about the hobby and not always about the dollar

This is one reason that you are doing well when other stores are failing. Dealers that do not try to squeeze every nickel out of a book get return business. As a buyer, I like to make a bit to find my hobby, I this dries up, I don't have funds for the hobby. Short term loss for long term gain.

I have yet to meet ONE person who's worked at a comic book store that actually knows how to handle a comic - let alone those that know that certain new issues are selling for more than cover online.

You're of course referring to the 'lobster grip', where the clerk grabs the book in a pincer between thumb and fingers, putting a spine crease about two inches above the bottom staple. :mad:

I keep a stack of bags and boards in my car and bag the books in the store. Sometimes I get some condescending glances but I get my books home in good shape.

I have yet to meet ONE person who's worked at a comic book store that actually knows how to handle a comic - let alone those that know that certain new issues are selling for more than cover online.

You're of course referring to the 'lobster grip', where the clerk grabs the book in a pincer between thumb and fingers, putting a spine crease about two inches above the bottom staple. :mad:

I keep a stack of bags and boards in my car and bag the books in the store. Sometimes I get some condescending glances but I get my books home in good shape.

I've tried that, but the cashier always needs to take it out of the bag to get at the barcode........ creating an inevitable flaw somewhere on the comic.

All the comics on our racks get bagged and boarded before they are even put out for sale

yeah, this is what my lcs does. but they are the only store in the area that does it. and that's why they're also the best.

Tot continues to amaze me why people are paying these prices for this book. I holding now what little I have left. Just sold a set for $85 and probably could have gotten more if I wanted.

Can you imagine what prices for the variants will fetch soon? A sold a blank variant for $70+ few weeks ago. Signed are going for over $100 now and who knows how much higher the Comicspro will go. Are there really this many people that think this series will become like WD? Its not that good. Look at all these other books that have pilots, or already have a series.

Are all Kirkman fans all just buying into this? I realize that the print run should matter, but look at NM 98 as an example. Unlike WD at shows people arent walking up and asking if you got any Thief of Thieves. Last two shows ALL I heard was "Got any Walking Dead?" and if they didnt the second question was "Got any Walking Dead Weekly?".

I mean in the long run I am not really upset just confused and bewildereed. I still have several copies left, but man I am starting to fell bad for selling at these prices. I am not even the ebay bleed price, but its ridiculous.

Are all Kirkman fans all just buying into this?

:baiting: Nick Spencer is writing it, so that's a big reason why I'm picking it up. I read all three at once last weekend and it flowed well. I'm sticking around for the long haul.

whatever the case, i'll ride the ToT train until it does this.

why does anyone pay over cover price for ANY comic book. It's because they 'have to have it'. Not sure how many comic buying decisions were a long thought out logical process.

ToT got hot on the afternoon of April the 11th. Any shows you visited before that time (and maybe even that following weekend) would have been all Walking Dead.

Edited by krighton

:baiting: Nick Spencer is writing it, so that's a big reason why I'm picking it up. I read all three at once last weekend and it flowed well. I'm sticking around for the long haul.

Yep, and stories like these can't really be judged by three issues, especially in the tpb era of story decompression. Quitting now is like putting a novel down early in Chapter 2.

FWIW, and as a counterpoint to ToT fever, I actually liked the start Secret is off to better.

Yep, and stories like these can't really be judged by three issues, especially in the tpb era of story decompression. Quitting now is like putting a novel down early in Chapter 2.

FWIW, and as a counterpoint to ToT fever, I actually liked the start Secret is off to better.

+1

Secret has the same feel as early 100 Bullets. A great start. Great dialogue. Some very sinister characters and a hook which makes waiting a month for the next issue far too long.

I suspect I'll be reading Secret long after ToT falls off my pull list.

The regular 1ToT book has been going up, but I don't see much of an increase in the TofThieves 1 ComicsPro Variant.

At one time (7 days+) they were $200-$300+, now its $150-$200.

Edited by Rip