• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Apologies ES, I had often wondered what was stopping someone from just ripping off the Joker cover and selling them as newstands, yourself and Beachbum have pointed me beautifully in the right direction.

And yes, that is a really thing to do, a bit like the "Thought Bubble" seller a couple of days back.

Edited by Ivan Testemitanu

Newstand variants mate

They're direct editions. It says so in the UPC area.

They look like the Direct Editions with the cardstock mask ripped off. The Newsstand versions don't say "Direct" in the UPC.

My favorite part of the auction is ready to be CGC'd - yeah if you want a qualified label!

Great, let's make our own variants. Someone should call the guy out on it if he is doing this.

What can we do to warn general eBay users? There's nothing that forces a seller to put a question/answer in the listing if we ask if this is a comic with the cover removed. And I don't think eBay really cares.

I've wanted to do "something" for a while, but was not 100% certain this was some type of variant.

I've got some Nightwing newstands that I can list. I can include something in the title about it being a true newsstand and not a scam.

It worked when Green Wake was listed as the first true appearance of Peter Panzerfaust and not Mondo.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Wow, I am saddened by this. I like all of my 'image firsts' WITH loose pages. I would pay almost $6.50 for a good, loose image first!

what

Wow, I am saddened by this. I like all of my 'image firsts' WITH loose pages. I would pay almost $6.50 for a good, loose image first!

what

I was being a smart.. Look at the description... It states 'our copies' have tight pages. Well thank god for that! Wouldn't want my $1 rag going to waste from bad binding. It just isn't as fun if I spell out my sarcasm.

Edited by Mr. Hog

The main bidder driving the price up through the run of the entire auction

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 56%

Hrm....

Apologies ES, I had often wondered what was stopping someone from just ripping off the Joker cover and selling them as newstands, yourself and Beachbum have pointed me beautifully in the right direction.

And yes, that is a really thing to do, a bit like the "Thought Bubble" seller a couple of days back.

Missed that, what was it?

Someone was charging ludicrous amounts of money for a #1 2nd print as the real limited edition Thought Bubble issue

Still happening

Already got away with it

Just wrong... absolutely WRONG - Hope NEGATIVE feedback happens

It's actually the same seller with the "rare" direct sales Death of the Family variants w/o a cover.

Not sure if I should be surprised.

About 20 listings down. Also interesting how the real variant (sketch) went for a fraction of the fakes.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/westcoastpowercomics/m.html?nma=true&item=281046756434&pt=US_Comic_Books&si=av3FJB03qA8bFh3cAD7WZOP600Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&hash=item416fb12c52&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Newstand variants mate

They're direct editions. It says so in the UPC area.

They look like the Direct Editions with the cardstock mask ripped off. The Newsstand versions don't say "Direct" in the UPC.

My favorite part of the auction is ready to be CGC'd - yeah if you want a qualified label!

Great, let's make our own variants. Someone should call the guy out on it if he is doing this.

What can we do to warn general eBay users? There's nothing that forces a seller to put a question/answer in the listing if we ask if this is a comic with the cover removed. And I don't think eBay really cares.

I've wanted to do "something" for a while, but was not 100% certain this was some type of variant.

The auction clearly states that the comic is coverless, both in the title and in the text. It seems like the buyers are being silly by bidding on the comic, no?

Someone was charging ludicrous amounts of money for a #1 2nd print as the real limited edition Thought Bubble issue

Still happening

Already got away with it

Just wrong... absolutely WRONG - Hope NEGATIVE feedback happens

It's actually the same seller with the "rare" direct sales Death of the Family variants w/o a cover.

Not sure if I should be surprised.

About 20 listings down. Also interesting how the real variant (sketch) went for a fraction of the fakes.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/westcoastpowercomics/m.html?nma=true&item=281046756434&pt=US_Comic_Books&si=av3FJB03qA8bFh3cAD7WZOP600Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&hash=item416fb12c52&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Scroll further down and you will see a Mcfarlane Spiderman # 1 gold 2nd print that sold for $32.00 WTF....?

I hate to say it but according to what's trending on my website Lyria Exchange For Modern Age Comics - it appears that every Superior Spider-Man variant is what people are desperately watching/buying.

Amazing Spider-MAn #583 Obama Variant is fetching $30+ It might be safe now to consider this a key issue. Up there historically with Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36

Something that comes up on the radar from time to time and I see no one talking about is Multiple Warheads #1. This book is currently @ $41 & 2 bids with 10 hours to go. I have no knowledge of why this is so sought after.

Star Wars #1 2013 got up to $30 & 13 bids with 2 minutes left to go. This just sort of came out of left field. hm(shrug)

Edited by whetteon