• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Why isn't mos 19 doing better...has them nose to nose on the cover

because its not a first appearance and the print run is almost certainly significantly larger than mos 17 and 18.

I agree but it is a great cover reminiscent of the old Hulk vs Thing covers. I love it.

Man of Steel 17 1st and 2nd prints are doing really well, as is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th on MOS #18. X-Files Hastings Variant and Francavilla Night of the Living Deadpool from this week is going crazy too.

The Man of Steel reprints doing well seems to indicate to me these boards do have an impact on the back issue market. As far as I know, this is the only place I'm seen these reprints discussed today. So, it must be boardies driving these prices.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2c in the debate on the impact these boards have on back issue prices.

hm

I saw someone planting seeds on these on a lot of boards. I only post here but read other boards which mostly follow this one in content. Some members of other boards obviously believe they influence the market as I'm sure some here do as well. The only reason for an older book to heat up would be something happening today that makes it relevant ie Hulk 271 or Iron Man 55 or Thor 344. The old keys are the blue chips as they are almost always steady and almost always rising a little in value.

Man of Steel 17 and 18 were heating up long before they were mentioned here a few months ago and then again more recently in the past couple of weeks. The heat from a few months ago was because of rumors of Doomsday appearing in the Man of Steel sequel or Justice League movie. That isn't to say these books were commanding large sums of money but they have been very liquid on ebay for a long time now, meaning if they are appropriately priced they only stay listed for a few days to a couple of weeks.

How about The Goon #1 @ $154 & 30 watchers. It's one of the most active, most expensive and most watched modern age comics on eBay and yet I rarely see anyone discussing it on these forums. hm

I consider myself an average 80's/90's Joe collector but have never read it. I used to love a lot of what Dark Horse pumped out back then but this one simply passed me by. For anyone my age (again a pretty average returner) revisiting to the hobby with a passion and a stable income this would have originally been released during some pretty major milestones regarding life in general. Academic pursuits / work / finding a place to live / etc ... when my collecting was at an all time low. Surprised to see it doing so well, but then I can't comment on the run as a whole. Have appreciated the art that some have posted.

Man of Steel 17 1st and 2nd prints are doing really well, as is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th on MOS #18. X-Files Hastings Variant and Francavilla Night of the Living Deadpool from this week is going crazy too.

The Man of Steel reprints doing well seems to indicate to me these boards do have an impact on the back issue market. As far as I know, this is the only place I'm seen these reprints discussed today. So, it must be boardies driving these prices.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2c in the debate on the impact these boards have on back issue prices.

hm

I saw someone planting seeds on these on a lot of boards. I only post here but read other boards which mostly follow this one in content. Some members of other boards obviously believe they influence the market as I'm sure some here do as well. The only reason for an older book to heat up would be something happening today that makes it relevant ie Hulk 271 or Iron Man 55 or Thor 344. The old keys are the blue chips as they are almost always steady and almost always rising a little in value.

Man of Steel 17 and 18 were heating up long before they were mentioned here a few months ago and then again more recently in the past couple of weeks. The heat from a few months ago was because of rumors of Doomsday appearing in the Man of Steel sequel or Justice League movie. That isn't to say these books were commanding large sums of money but they have been very liquid on ebay for a long time now, meaning if they are appropriately priced they only stay listed for a few days to a couple of weeks.

Yes, but I was talking about the reprints.

The Black Widow #1 1:100 variants aren't doing too bad. Both Campbell sketch and Manara are hovering in the $60-$75 area over the last week, but it's interesting that there are only 3 active listings for Manara compared to 10 for the Campbell sketch.

The Black Widow #1 1:100 variants aren't doing too bad. Both Campbell sketch and Manara are hovering in the $60-$75 area over the last week, but it's interesting that there are only 3 active listings for Manara compared to 10 for the Campbell sketch.

For a 1:100 those numbers are pretty bad actually.

I had higher hopes for this book as well. I think the fact that there are both 1:50 color versions and 1:100 sketch versions as well as the cover being kind of bland for a JSC are hurting sales.

What'd they retail for? I guess if you pre-ordered, you'd be fine.

60 bucks for a 1:100

I have some keyish batmans 1:100s that are 30-40 bucks AND not selling quickly, so I would say that that's doing pretty well....

DC's idea of just taking to color away and making it rare is a poor incentive cover...how about just getting a nice cover off a popular artist? getting Stan to sign it or something...

I think there isn't a lot of talk on the Goon #1 because it's a tweener. In other words, an older modern where the majority on investment growth potential may have already happened. I think we all agree its a story worth reading.

The irony is that it's constantly listed in the Modern Age section on eBay and I always seem a copy week after week in the "Comics to Watch" section of the website. I suppose it is an in-between-er but it just strikes me as odd that rarely people talk about it and yet it's a pretty hot book to sell/buy.

I hope a cosplay movement emerges that girls start to dress like JSC bimbo renditions :)

+1

I just picked up a 2014 JSC Fairytale Fantasies calendar over the weekend. A nice looking Glinda Goodwitch South would be nice..... :grin:

Great, another variant to track down. So, that's 5 covers of #1 for the 1st print, plus the 2nd through 5th prints.

Just wanted to point that out for everyone who moaned about all of the Bedlam variants.

I don't think Bedlam's failings should have anything to do with this book though.

I guess that depends on what people think Bedlam's failings where. If it is generally agreed that too many variants killed the book.... any books with too many variants can be linked to Bedlam as a historical " remember when..." tale.

It's why we study history after all. Just saying...