• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

It is showing me too much. I'm getting all of the info you see below. End time AND minutes left. I only need time remaining. Item location. I don't care personally. Accepts paypal. I thought you had to accept paypal on ebay. Right ? Anyway, it makes for an in depth, but over wordy view that requires more focus than normal to search imo.

Thunderbolts Lot 1-5 Deadpool, Red Hulk, Elektra, the Punisher MARVEL NOW!

$5.00

1 bid

+$6.00 shipping

Time Left 3m left (Today 9:10PM)

Item Location Lake in the Hills, IL

Payment This seller accepts PayPal

Looks normal on my ipad.

Good to know but still too much info on the search page for my liking. :grin:

At the top right corner of the search page, click on View then Customize. That allows you to pick and choose what details you see for the listings. (thumbs u

Fair enough, and I feel like it could reach the other two in price based and scarcity, and I have some so I have skin in the game. However, and I may be wrong, but I think the fact you alluded to that the covers for EoW and Saga are entirely different and great looking covers, not just B&W's, can factor into the MD lbcc not being quite as much as well. Although it is still a nice cover. I just wonder, what if they saved the Ottley cover for the LBCC cover? What would have happened then???

I actually wasn't alluding to the Black and White vs different cover, but thanks for making me sound smarter :grin:

Your correct though, and a good point. Personally, I can't stand Black and White, or sub-par variants that go for high prices just because of scarcity.

How long before people finally give up on EoW coming back around? Sellers are losing money on 9.8s currently. Raw issues are selling for cover or less.

Its a nice well written book, but many of you are living in a fantasy if you think this book is going to all of a sudden sky rocket or even appreciate a lot. I will route for it if it does because I picked up a few really cheap, but I am not holding my breath.

I wont call this a "Bedlam" train wreck, but this book along with NWM are examples here lately to pass attention too

Waits for the fireworks. From those heavily invested.

I'm not as heavily invested in EoW as most, but I guess id have to disagree. I have no evidence to support my claim here, but I think it will steadily rise...especially considering it's projected to last 50+ issues (or 16 years for those of you counting by Nowhere Men time).

It's a top seller from the LCSs in my area. IF (and only if) the book fulfils its 50+ issue projection, I think demand will be slowly driven by the quality of the story, not by tv/movie speculation...kinda like YTLM........kinda. 2c

+1 Million.

I think people have kind of become greedy with this type of stuff, in the sense that they get pissed if something spikes then drops within the span of 4 issues. Relax, gents. Give it time to simmer.

:banana:

Y wasn't told in three months.

How long before people finally give up on EoW coming back around? Sellers are losing money on 9.8s currently. Raw issues are selling for cover or less.

Its a nice well written book, but many of you are living in a fantasy if you think this book is going to all of a sudden sky rocket or even appreciate a lot. I will route for it if it does because I picked up a few really cheap, but I am not holding my breath.

I wont call this a "Bedlam" train wreck, but this book along with NWM are examples here lately to pass attention too

I'm not as heavily invested in EoW as most, but I guess id have to disagree. I have no evidence to support my claim here, but I think it will steadily rise...especially considering it's projected to last 50+ issues (or 16 years for those of you counting by Nowhere Men time).

It's a top seller from the LCSs in my area. IF (and only if) the book fulfils its 50+ issue projection, I think demand will be slowly driven by the quality of the story, not by tv/movie speculation...kinda like YTLM........kinda. 2c

This is my thinking too. This isn't just a top stack book for me. Its THE top of the stack. Rat Queens, Todd, and now Manifest Destiny are right next to it.

(thumbs u to Rat Queens. I didn't order it, but picked up a few from the stores for investment. Finally decided to give it a read 2 weeks ago, and have now added it to my reading orders.

I like fantasy, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc, but don't really go for it in comics or novels. Just too much of it out there, kind of all the same, etc.

Rat Queens was definitely a good read.

I'm a little bit invested in EoW. I still have 50 raw #1s. I think the the time to sell has passed. However, I don't mind holding on just in case there is a some sort of TV/Movie rumor. Living on a prayer here, but alot of us are.

What you said HAS to be put in the context of selling within 6 months-1 year, and/or selling for a large, quick profit.

Most popular, well-done series (something comparable to East of Dub, in terms of quality, popularity, and scarcity) that last for, say 50-100+ issues or so, their #1's usually sell for a decent price over time.

Don't forget, it's only in the last 5 years or so that comic value is being bolstered by TV and Movies.

Unless you NEED to seel soon, just chill and try to think long-term. :grin:

Think Sandman and Y.

EoW is projected to be a 50+ run book and people are calling it a flop at issue 8?

See: All comments from today.

I know. It's actually sort of getting annoying that this mind set is setting in in some places.

People are getting greedy with this instant gratitude stuff (needing huge profits within 2 weeks of issue #1 hitting shelves, stories needing to be phenomenal after 3 issues, a 1 month delay should mean the end of the creators careers, etc etc etc).

Think of how many issues it took other great series to really get off the ground and hit their strides.

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

lol

Helheim gets the worst rap ever. I really like the book. It wasn't hugely profitable but wasn't terrible either. I think I still have a few sets but its been since summer since I've looked at them. I am going to buy the next arc but 1 each. lol

Question: Why did it get pumped so much? It was talked about a lot on here, everyone was going nuts for it, now apparently the prices have gone done, and it's considered a bust.

1-Why did it get heavily speculated on?

2-Why is it down now?

In this case, it feels like it's almost the board members own faults. I keep seeing these same cycles; comic get tones of talk WAY too early on, people go in to a frenzy about it, the bloodlust wears off, people forget about the comic, and it go down to normal prices and interest, left to continue on a normal comic value/popularity trajectory.

even if it doesnt get made into a tv show, I see it retaining value based on its reading quality.

I was riding the "oh great, another #1 that has sparked up to a $150 9.8 SS" up until I read the TPB - which I couldn't put down and read in one sitting.

really good stuff.

(thumbs u .....and THAT'S how most comics gain and retain value ladies and gentleman.

(worship)

Bedlam was an huge turd awesome story from the get go.

Dukes40 in the house today. lol

We are definitely on the same page. I don't think you could be any more right about Helheim. It was a really fun/grim book that people turned on becuase they didn't sell soon enough or lost a little money on it. None of that changed the quality of the art. I love Joelle Jones stuff. Cullen Bunn is an oddity to me. He seems to have a huge following on the net but his books don't seem to sell big numbers. I've only read a little of his stuff but I like what I've read to this point.

Thanks Shark, I did that but I think I'm on some kind of beta program. I appreciate the help anyway. (thumbs u

I think I got hit with the same Beta change yesterday afternoon. Just when you have it how you like it, they mess it up.

As to heating up, some have already said this, but the Photo Cover for Sex Criminals #1 has been doing great for me.

Sales between $10-$12 2 weeks after it came out is pretty good (esp when you find them for cover). As long as people with big orders coming in at the end of the month know how to ration sales accordingly, should be good for some time.

Also, may be one of the best recent covers for an SS.

I've been reading reading this thread for only a year now so I am curious to know what was the main drive for comic speculation prior to the Walking Dead TV being announced back in January 2010. Clearly movies (prior to Jan 2010) had some impact on comic prices but not nearly as much as TV show announcements since then. And the internet has (in many cases) created an exaggeration of prices for some comics.

I know small print runs of a particular issue plays a role in pricing a book, but even with that there has to be a moderate demand for that issue. I mean there could be a print run of 100 copies of Captain Widget #1 but if no one cares about widgets, then the book is only worth the paper it's printed on.

I remember all the way back in the late 90's & early 2000's when Wizard Magazine was THE place for comic speculation. Couldn't wait to get my copy in the mail and always hoped it was delivered a few days before comic stores received their copy. Comics would start heating up a week or two after the monthly mag came out. They would also speculate on upcoming movies and who would be best to star in them.

Of course, as Mr. Linguiniii stated (and Dukes40 reiterated) there is always the scenario of a comic just being high quality in story and art which drives value, although I will say that time and more importantly supply/demand must be part of it too in order for a book to have significant value.

My apologies if this is not the appropriate thread for an answer to my question. I just find comic book speculation facsinating (more so than any other collectible).

Meck

I've been reading reading this thread for only a year now so I am curious to know what was the main drive for comic speculation prior to the Walking Dead TV being announced back in January 2010. Clearly movies (prior to Jan 2010) had some impact on comic prices but not nearly as much as TV show announcements since then. And the internet has (in many cases) created an exaggeration of prices for some comics.

I know small print runs of a particular issue plays a role in pricing a book, but even with that there has to be a moderate demand for that issue. I mean there could be a print run of 100 copies of Captain Widget #1 but if no one cares about widgets, then the book is only worth the paper it's printed on.

I remember all the way back in the late 90's & early 2000's when Wizard Magazine was THE place for comic speculation. Couldn't wait to get my copy in the mail and always hoped it was delivered a few days before comic stores received their copy. Comics would start heating up a week or two after the monthly mag came out. They would also speculate on upcoming movies and who would be best to star in them.

Of course, as Mr. Linguiniii stated (and Dukes40 reiterated) there is always the scenario of a comic just being high quality in story and art which drives value, although I will say that time and more importantly supply/demand must be part of it too in order for a book to have significant value.

My apologies if this is not the appropriate thread for an answer to my question. I just find comic book speculation facsinating (more so than any other collectible).

Meck

Stories, art, writers, artists, and reboots were all the rage when Wizard was in print. My biggest modern hits were Ultimate Spider-man which to me brought Spidey right back to where he started. A fun kid that played the underdog for all he was worth. There were stories that caught people off guard like the Authority and Planetary. I remember loving these books and word of mouth spread and there were times that these series were bringing over $150 a set regularly and the sets weren't near finished.

I remember loving the story and art of Invincible so I bought a ton of those which in turn lead to me going back and buying tons of TWD. I thought at the time Invincible would lead the way and TWD would just tag along. I sold many, many TWD #1 for between $20 and $100 and Invincible was doing better at the beginning.

Vertigo was on fire. Sandman has been hot for a long, long time. Preacher and Hellblazer weren't too far behind in demand.

Dark Horse hotties were Sin City ( which did have movie hype ) and Hellboy (ditto).

I also did great buying 100 copies each on big named stuff like Civil War and New Avengers and probably bought and sold 40 to 50 sets of Identity Crisis.

Jim Lee on Batman 608 and 612 were pretty huge but all of the above came down to real demand because of the stories and art. Print runs didn't really matter. It was a great time and I think we are in another one.

Dukes40 in the house today. lol

We are definitely on the same page. I don't think you could be any more right about Helheim. It was a really fun/grim book that people turned on becuase they didn't sell soon enough or lost a little money on it. None of that changed the quality of the art. I love Joelle Jones stuff. Cullen Bunn is an oddity to me. He seems to have a huge following on the net but his books don't seem to sell big numbers. I've only read a little of his stuff but I like what I've read to this point.

Deadpool Kills trilogy brought in some $$$ for Bunn's writing.

lol

I thought EoW was overhyped and over speculated from the get go. However, lately, it's actually setting up a bit more favourably. Monthly orders have settled in at 33K or so, and the TPB sold fairly well. There may be a base of readers developing to absorb the 50K print run of number 1. 2c

Books I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on are Bedlam, Rat Queens, Todd and Pretty Deadly.

Why so down on Pretty Deadly?

I am wondering why too, it's better than most comics that have come out in recent months.

I'm down on the book's chances of appreciating, rather than the book itself. I don't see it having the features that suggest that it will be a market darling. And, by market, I mean the great big comic collecting world that exists outside of this board, where the superhero hegemony is still intact, and many collectors don't look twice at non Marvel or DC books.

Personally, I found the art and story to be below par, but that's just my opinion. As a contrast, I like Blackacre, a book that's not everyone's cup of tea here, but I'm also down on its chances of appreciating, for the same reasons as above.