• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Batman 635 is hot.

I just had what I graded out to be a F/VF copy of this book sell for $60 last night.

That is a stupid price for a book in that condition to me, yet lots of people thought it was a good deal.

Emiobeg, the buyer, if you are a member on the boards I think you paid too much.

It could press out okay likely but still...

Man you guys talking about dealers having wall books around ebay prices. Sheesh last 2 years WW con here in town the dealers are charging double ebay prices. lol

The bold part is the reason dealers are charging so much. WW, from what I've gathered, is an expensive con to set up at regardless of location.

$1,100 per booth here in Cleveland. If you price your books at 10% over what you could get on E-Bay then (even factoring E-Bay fees) you would need to sell $6,000 in books before you are getting what you can get on E-Bay and that's assuming you have no other expenses. Its not physically easy to sell at Cons compared to online sales so I can see why people mark their books up 20% over E-Bay but then you have people start walking away with prices that high. Tough market to succeed in.

Man you guys talking about dealers having wall books around ebay prices. Sheesh last 2 years WW con here in town the dealers are charging double ebay prices. lol

The bold part is the reason dealers are charging so much. WW, from what I've gathered, is an expensive con to set up at regardless of location.

$1,100 per booth here in Cleveland. If you price your books at 10% over what you could get on E-Bay then (even factoring E-Bay fees) you would need to sell $6,000 in books before you are getting what you can get on E-Bay and that's assuming you have no other expenses. Its not physically easy to sell at Cons compared to online sales so I can see why people mark their books up 20% over E-Bay but then you have people start walking away with prices that high. Tough market to succeed in.

I think this happened at Heroes in 2012 or 2013. Could've been the fact that Stan Lee was there, but prices were aggressive. I heard dealers complain. I couldn't understand it. They were pricing themselves out of business.

I view WW as more of a 'pop culture' con anyway. As a dealer, I would bring diverse group of product - probably more pop culture items than comics. That's me speaking as an attendee though. Point is, I think you've got to know your market and clientele base before setting up.

I think this happened at Heroes in 2012 or 2013. Could've been the fact that Stan Lee was there, but prices were aggressive. I heard dealers complain. I couldn't understand it. They were pricing themselves out of business.

I view WW as more of a 'pop culture' con anyway. As a dealer, I would bring diverse group of product - probably more pop culture items than comics. That's me speaking as an attendee though. Point is, I think you've got to know your market and clientele base before setting up.

100% agree. I did very well selling $1 books to cover my booth fee and sold the better books to make a profit. The guys who seemed to do the best had TPBs, some of those bobble head things and a good assortment of books. The people across from me who simply had high end graded books never seemed to be busy.

That is 3 days? Is a Friday in Cleveland busy? How much space?

Sounds like a lot of money for cleveland, no?

That is 3 days? Is a Friday in Cleveland busy? How much space?

Sounds like a lot of money for cleveland, no?

It was pretty slow in terms of comic buying on Friday but Saturday and Sunday picked up a bunch. The few bigger dealers I talked to said they did over $12k in sales so they were really happy with the show. I didn't do nearly that well but I still did well enough to consider next year if they move the weekend. $1,100 is definitely much more expensive compared to any other show in the area. I'm doing a fairly large Con in Akron this year and it is only $250 for two days.

Which one of Deadpool's new sidekicks is going to be a hit? Any or all of them?

Personally Slapstick seems to be the fun winner, but any of them could hit it big. I used to love Solo as well.

Talk about $1 Bin Heroes. All but Fool Kill are dirt cheap. Bunn is writing it so you know it will be a laugh a minute.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I am looking into doing a show out in the midwest, maybe towards the end of the year.

Next show I'm setting up at, somewhat close to your area, is the Mohegun Sun.

Shows in my area are pretty much *not* worth setting up at.

There are a couple exceptions....Eternal Con, Big Apple Con,WinterCon....and a small show in Cherry Hill NJ, that is held quarterly.

Won't be setting up at Wizard Philly, most likely.

Bam....end of list. lol

Other shows, in my area I just go to to BUY.

I look for the desperate dealers at the end of the last day, and toss out cash money lowballs left and right.

From a business stand point, this makes sense to me. Albeit your harsh tone. Sad but true.

As the old adage goes: Desperate times call for desperate measure

That doesnt mean its smart, but if a dealer had a slew of bad turnouts at cons, he still has to go back home and feed his family

Yeah, agreed with you both, on both counts.

Whenever I have a bad show, I think about some sagely advice that Al Stolz of Basement Comix relayed to me and a couple dealer friends of mine, years ago while we were talking shop at a small con.

"No matter how bad a show is, never blow out".

I've held fast to that tidbit, actually somewhat to Al's chagrin, when he's offered to buy books from my wall at shows.I counter his offer with that qoute, actually..he gets a lil chuckle out of that.

I offer my table stock at competitive prices ( I don't carry .50 cent or $1 books) ...and I will cut (and virtually always do) a few bucks off virtually any sale, just to be friendly and build a repoire with buyers.Even if I am not asked, ...and I know that the buyer pulled out books that were already priced on the low end, I'll shave 10% off his stack.Or if he goes to town and picks 30 SA books out of my $10's, I'lleither give him 5 books for free or knock $50 off the tab.

I'll tell a guy to pick a book out of my $3 boxes for free, after he buys two of my $5 books.........or a single $10 book, and he pays me.

People remember those sorts of gestures.

If somebody ever wants to buy out all of my table stock, they can have it for twenty five cents on the dollar.

Hell, I'd be happy to get .33 cents on the dollar in trade value, towards bigger ticket books or slabs.

When you coming to the midwest? At those deals I'd buy from you. (thumbs u

Philadelphia dealers > rest of the country

http://www.philadelphiacomic-con.com/ He sets up at this.

The last time I set up at that show was about a year and a half ago.....

I went there last month.Didn't find all that much...got a run of Boys #1-10 for a quarter a piece, though.

I live 30 minutes away, so it's usually worth the trip.

I'll be there next month, just walking the room.You should introduce yourself, if you see me. :baiting:

Back to the topic of moderns heating up...

...sold my Miracleman 12 CGC 9.4 for $125 this past week.2 days later, saw a raw NM sell for $250 Or Best Offer.

I messaged the seller and asked what the book sold at.

He told me he accepted a best offer of $102.50.

Philadelphia dealers > rest of the country

http://www.philadelphiacomic-con.com/ He sets up at this.

The last time I set up at that show was about a year and a half ago.....

I went there last month.Didn't find all that much...got a run of Boys #1-10 for a quarter a piece, though.

I live 30 minutes away, so it's usually worth the trip.

I'll be there next month, just walking the room.You should introduce yourself, if you see me. :baiting:

I've met you before. I probably bought stuff from you too. I bought a lot from Carl and Tim. I actually moved to Seattle about 9 months ago though.

Personally Slapstick seems to be the fun winner, but any of them could hit it big. I used to love Solo as well.

Talk about $1 Bin Heroes. All but Fool Kill are dirt cheap. Bunn is writing it so you know it will be a laugh a minute.

Which book is Solo's first app.? Is it the Deadpool: The Circle Chase?

Which book is Solo's first app.? Is it the Deadpool: The Circle Chase?

Nope. Web of Spider-Man #19