• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

This happens locally here although shops now are on the lookout for books like this.

Sometimes the owner doesn't know and sometimes they do. Its when they do that comic shops get taken locally. The one thing that has saved them is most don't do any CGC books or very little. So their exposure to that type of loss is minimal.

More Marvel variants (over 700 different variants according to the article) are being discounted for retailers:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/17/david-gabriel-the-prince-of-variants/

I wonder which comics are included in this?

This is the part I'm most interested in:

"... including many that were previously restricted for sale."

Man, I hope this included that Star Wars 1 of 5000 they put out...

Edited by rjrjr

More Marvel variants (over 700 different variants according to the article) are being discounted for retailers:

Yep... Here it is again!

I can't wait to buy some of these at 50% off COVER price. I love variants!

Yep... Here it is again!

WHAT??

Are there RETAIL INCENTIVE variants included in that sale???

It can't be!!

:o

Yep... Here it is again!

WHAT??

Are there RETAIL INCENTIVE variants included in that sale???

It can't be!!

:o

Glad that it's "out there"

It's against Diamond retailers terms of sale to post.

This happens ALL the time since I've been in business.

Before the internet it was Distributor warehouse sales.

This happened with the Venom 1:50's....

This isn't new.

Distributors liquidate overstock that they are storing for publishers.

( publishers might even have more somewhere else )

Do the math on that.

Considering that star wars 1 alone had 100+ different variant covers (and most of the books going up for sale look to be non-RI, star wars related overstock) I don't think this is as significant as a few would like to think that it is. (thumbs u

-J.

Considering that star wars 1 alone had 100+ different variant covers (and most of the books going up for sale look to be non-RI, star wars related overstock) I don't think this is as significant as a few would like to think that it is. (thumbs u

-J.

J-, based on your "math"

I just bought obnoxious quantities of 1:200 , 1:100, & 1:50 & 1:25 variants, can you now please Decipher the print runs of those titles with your "Comichron Algorithm."

Chump.

Edited by LarrysComics

-J.

Sure it is. Because your point of contention is that incentive variants are printed to the case size, when clearly this shows they are not. There are 1:25's and 1:50's in here, but even outside of that, Marvel knows for ALL variants EXACTLY how many they need before they go to press, so ANY overages of ANY variants are OVERPRINTS.

Since they make no claim to the print size of any variant, despite what you've lied about and can show no proof of, it's evident that they print whatever it is they choose to print, for whatever reasons they choose to print them.

There IS controversy surrounding this, but ONLY because Marvel makes no claim as to what those print runs are. They could easily put everyone's mind at ease by stating beyond any doubt what those print runs are, but they DON'T - and the reasons why they don't are pretty easy to figure out.

Pay attention, slick, cause here it is in a nutshell: They sell more copies of A covers by using incentive variants that are more valuable to retailers because CUSTOMERS think they're more valuable (because of perceived rarity). If they LOSE this perceived rarity, they lose the power of incentives to get retailers to buy more A covers.

It's as we've told you. The proof is all there.

The same way as you were schooled in the 'are variants counted in the overall print run' discussion, you've been schooled here. I'm not one to spike the ball and dance around, but you make such an easy to root against villain in all of it, I can't help it.

People can believe whatever they choose, but my goal is always the truth.

-J.

Sure it is. Because your point of contention is that incentive variants are printed to the case size, when clearly this shows they are not. There are 1:25's and 1:50's in here, but even outside of that, Marvel knows for ALL variants EXACTLY how many they need before they go to press, so ANY overages of ANY variants are OVERPRINTS.

Since they make no claim to the print size of any variant, despite what you've lied about and can show no proof of, it's evident that they print whatever it is they choose to print, for whatever reasons they choose to print them.

There IS controversy surrounding this, but ONLY because Marvel makes no claim as to what those print runs are. They could easily put everyone's mind at ease by stating beyond any doubt what those print runs are, but they DON'T - and the reasons why they don't are pretty easy to figure out.

Pay attention, slick, cause here it is in a nutshell: They sell more copies of A covers by using incentive variants that are more valuable to retailers because CUSTOMERS think they're more valuable (because of perceived rarity). If they LOSE this perceived rarity, they lose the power of incentives to get retailers to buy more A covers.

The same way as you were schooled in the 'are variants counted in the overall print run' discussion, you've been schooled here. I'm not one to spike the ball and dance around, but you make such an easy to root against villain in all of it, I can't help it.

The "proof" that you're saying is "there" is still only constituted of your opinions Chuckie boy. Although it is telling how you are gleefully attempting to use this rather benign bleedingcool article, of all things, to advance your relentless hate-campaign against variants.

According to this bleedingcool article , Marvel is burning off mostly star wars over stock and some other variants (most not RI based) from the last six months or so from its all new all different event launch (and not books from 3, 5, 10 years ago as you and your ilk have stated "happens all the time". Well, not this time. meh )

While this might be a good opportunity for small retailers such as yourself to pick up the un-ordered star wars over stock from 5 months ago, it does not in any way shape or form "disprove" anything I have said or "prove" anything that you have said, especially considering the lack of any specifics in the article .

If anything it might offer further support for what I have said- Considering that star wars 1 alone had over 100 variants , even 700 variants (most not even RI based) is a very tiny tiny percentage of the publishers output in that time frame.

But keep trying Chuckie boy this is kind of fun. :)

-J.

-J.

The "proof" that you're saying is "there" is still only constituted of your opinions Chuckie boy. Although it is telling how you are gleefully attempting to use this rather benign bleedingcool article, of all things, to advance your relentless hate-campaign against variants.

According to this bleedingcool article , Marvel is burning off mostly star wars over stock and some other variants (most not RI based) from the last six months or so from its all new all different event launch (and not books from 3, 5, 10 years ago as you and your ilk have stated "happens all the time". Well, not this time. meh )

While this might be a good opportunity for small retailers such as yourself to pick up the un-ordered star wars over stock from 5 months ago, it does not in any way shape or form "disprove" anything I have said or "prove" anything that you have said, especially considering the lack of any specifics in the article .

If anything it might offer further support for what I have said- Considering that star wars 1 alone had over 100 variants , even 700 variants (most not even RI based) is a very tiny tiny percentage of the publishers output in that time frame.

-J.

Wrong. Very little Star Wars in it. TONS of ANAD. Plenty of 1:25's, 1:50's....

It's yet another marvel purge of variants.

Sorry Jay, but you're wrong.

-J.

J-, based on your "math"

I just bought obnoxious quantities of 1:200 , 1:100, & 1:50 & 1:25 variants, can you now please Decipher the print runs of those titles with your "Comichron Algorithm."

Chump.

So, two retailers (on these boards) are now adamant that they print far more than the ratios of the variant books. I suppose there's a website in the far reaches of the internet somewhere that would contradict that.

I'll go ahead and trust the retailers that have NOTHING to gain by saying this.

Give up the ghost (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I don't know how to quantify "tons" and "plenty" and "very little", but 700 is still an infinitesimal fraction of what Marvel has produced in the 6 month time frame these books were printed in and I would be surprised if any of it would be more than a $10 wall book based on the context of that article (which is quite clear that most of the variants are in fact non RI based star wars over stock, but feel free to post the list of variants made available to disprove this ) (thumbs u )

-J.

-J.

J-, based on your "math"

Chump.

So, two retailers (on these boards) are now adamant that they print far more than the ratios of the variant books. I suppose there's a website in the far reaches of the internet somewhere that would contradict that.

lol Seriously.

Chuck and Larry are probably the least credible retailers that post on these boards.

Larry (his past public controversial remarks aside) because he was the first and main guy to hype up the rarity and ultra low print run of Vader down #1 right before he proceeded to auction off a copy three or four times on ebay, as well as the rarity and alleged desirability of his own phantom variants and Chuck because of his well documented and non-stop hatred and disdain for RI variants that he wishes didn't exist at all for anyone so he wouldn't feel pressure to up his orders to compete with the larger retailers.

-J.

-J.

-J.

I don't know how to quantify "tons" and "plenty" and "very little", but 700 is still an infinitesimal fraction of what Marvel has produced in the 6 month time frame these books were printed in and I would be surprised if any of it would be more than a $10 wall book based on the context of that article (which is quite clear that most of the variants are in fact non RI based star wars over stock, but feel free to post the list of variants to disprove this ) (thumbs u )

-J.

Ask your local retailer to show it to you, I'm not going to post it on a public message board.

You've lost this battle.

You can try and save face by breaking it down however you wish, but the fact is Marvel has over 700 individual variant titles that were OVERPRINTED over the last few months.

And that's just what we see here.

How many more are earmarked for future Five Below multi packs?

How many will be given out at SDCC for retailer lunch and BCC for the retailer summit?

lol

-J.

-J.

I don't know how to quantify "tons" and "plenty" and "very little", but 700 is still an infinitesimal fraction of what Marvel has produced in the 6 month time frame these books were printed in and I would be surprised if any of it would be more than a $10 wall book based on the context of that article (which is quite clear that most of the variants are in fact non RI based star wars over stock, but feel free to post the list of variants to disprove this ) (thumbs u )

-J.

Ask your local retailer to show it to you, I'm not going to post it on a public message board.

You've lost this battle.

You can try and save face by breaking it down however you wish, but the fact is Marvel has over 700 individual variant titles that were OVERPRINTED over the last few months.

And that's just what we see here.

How many more are earmarked for future Five Below multi packs?

How many will be given out at SDCC for retailer lunch and BCC for the retailer summit?

lol

Why not ? You've posted it before. But you won't now post what all of these hundreds of awesome rare RI variants (not just "variants", RI variants ) that you're supposedly able to pick up on the cheap yet you say "I've lost the battle".

I may very well ask my LCS, even though I don't really have to since the article was pretty clear that it is mostly non RI based Star Wars over stock being offered. Of course you would like to keep things vague publicly because it advances your perverse and inexplicable hate-campaign against variants.

You really are in your own twilight zone dude. lol

-J.

You've lost Jay. No one's coming to your defense.

You've lost.

God, it's so easy to make you beg me to throw a haymaker.

Here's just one title:

image_zpse3bj9cj3.jpeg

image_zpsl1lpvszi.jpeg

image_zpsjykrdihz.jpeg

image_zpsihxzsj2l.jpeg

Plenty of others. Want more of a beating?

Chuck, either post the entire list of 700 like you did last time or don't post anything. Even a kindergartener can cherry pick one or two examples in a deceptive attempt to prove a point.

But as a side note it is interesting that the one example you did choose to cite is a "#1"... kind of actually proving my point again, aren't you Chuck. (shrug)

-J.

There's more Jay. Plenty more. Almost ALL incentive variants.

What can I say?

When you're wrong, you're wrong. And man oh man you are sooooo wrong here.

Now clean up that milkshake.

Then post the list like you did last time Chuck.

Why so coy all of a sudden ?

Could it be because you are grossly exaggerating as you directly contradict the bleedingcool article that you originally hung your hat on ? hm

-J.

-J.

J-, based on your "math"

Chump.

lol Seriously.

Chuck and Larry are probably the least credible retailers that post on these boards.

Larry (his past public controversial remarks aside) because he was the first and main guy to hype up the rarity and ultra low print run of Vader down #1 right before he proceeded to auction off a copy three or four times on ebay, as well as the rarity and alleged desirability of his own phantom variants and Chuck because of his will documented and non-stop hatred and disdain for RI variants that he wishes didn't exist at all for anyone so he wouldn't feel pressure to up his orders to compete with the larger retailers.

-J.

Larry are probably the least credible retailers that post on these boards.

True dat...