• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

Print runs I agree with your posts. As for retailer incentive variants they are ALMOST always the original books case pack size. How they round them or their exact numbers I could not tell you.

lol

Do you know what a Marvel 'pallet sale' is?

Every so often Marvel offers retailers, through Diamond, the opportunity to buy Bulk Pallet's of their trade paperbacks, 2000 books for a special price - AND at an even better price if you buy 5 or MORE PALLETS.

These are overstock. On books that retail at $19.99 and up.

In PALLET quantities.

If they can do that with $20+ books, they can do it with comic books.

No one has shown ANY proof, that Marvel rounds up to the nearest case on variants.

There's NO proof.

It's an unfounded theory.

And yet here, is another example, of Marvel over ordering on product.

Where did the theory that Marvel rounds to case amounts on variants come from?

Jay, of course.

Funny, how all three of us came up with the same thought.

lol Don't be a clown.

It came from a Diamond account holder. One who doesn't have a preposterous agenda to advance.

But yeah, you're right. The idea that publishers regularly over print variants that no one ordered just so they can store cases and cases of single copies of them in a warehouse and sell them off at half cover price is a much more likely scenario. (thumbs u

-J.

And all we've done is show you multiple examples of them over ordering while you've shown NOTHING to prove your position.

NOTHING.

Here's one of Marvel over stock trade paperback sales:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-18%20at%208.17.35%20PM%20copy_zps9lzsoh6r.jpg

You'll come back with nothing to prove your position.

NOTHING.

NADA.

ZILCH.

You have nothing.

Some guy told you who wants to sell you more variants. lol

Of course he's going to say that.

I NEVER SAID THAT THEY DO NOT "SOMETIMES" OVERPRINT A VARIANT... AND SPECIFICALLY "EVENT" BOOKS, LIKE, OH I DON'T KNOW, THE ANAD TITLE RE-LAUNCH.

But post the whole list Chuck like you have done before or just stop talking. Prove that my own LCS is also a "liar" when he described the bulk of un-ordered non-RI that he essentially told me wasn't even worth taking the time to come down to the shop and look at. lol

You may not even realize how many potential customers you have already cost yourself with this latest vitriolic and nonsensical tirade against variants. You have made it EXTREMELY clear that you don't like them and resent having to up your game to get them.

But it's seriously time to change the channel my man.

-J.

I'm sure everyone agrees that they round up to the nearest 'something', whether its pallet, case, nearest hundred, nearest thousand, whatever, its something. The real issue here is how to determine WHAT THEY ARE ROUNDING FROM.

And that's where we don't seem to have enough information.

No one is saying EVERY variant is grossly over order-printed compared to their distribution ratios. I don't think that's the case, and I don't think anyone thinks that's the case. BUT at the same time, clearly there are instances where SOME variants are grossly overprinted relative to their incentive ratios, and we don't know how or why that occurs or to what extent, and to be honest, the reasons probably vary from comic to comic and issue to issue. And THAT is why some people think its so hard to estimate print run, especially for the incentive variants. There's just too many unknowns and too many exceptions to whatever 'rules' are perceived to exist (and what do we even know for sure about those rules anyways?). We just don't know enough about the the different formulas for calculating print run, which variables are used, the actual values of the variables, the formulas for the exceptions, the variables for the exceptions... you get the point (or do you?).

For anyone who thinks otherwise, pick ANY 3 Marvel retailer incentive ratio variant that's 1:5-1:200 from the last 10 years, and tell us the print run. Show your work. Tell us the facts, tell us the estimates, tell us the assumptions, tell us the reason why you chose to make those assumptions and estimates, cite the sources for your information. You don't have to be exactly right, just be reasonable. Do what you would do if you needed to be convinced.

To ask for evidence that this cannot be done is not even an argument point.

Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

I beat you with one comic!

You have ZERO to show in your defense!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

You have nothing. You have zero proof. You have nothing.

I'm done toying with you, boy. It's not even a debate.

Because you have nothing.

[quote=Chuck

Gower]Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Are you really a business owner?

Ive been to his store I can assure he is.

Frankly I was wondering the same.

Though that was obviously a rhetorical question based on his extreme conduct on these boards.

But I gather you knew that already. :foryou:

-J.

What "extreme conduct"? You mean, not letting you go with making things up out of whole cloth without challenge? That "extreme" conduct?

You are a MASTER of bombast, Jay, a wordsmith extraordinaire, a spin-doctor to beat all spin-doctors, who carefully picks and chooses his words to shade, shape, shift, and shake propaganda to steer public opinion where you need it to go, truth be damned.

You really missed your calling.

I NEVER SAID THAT THEY DO NOT "SOMETIMES" OVERPRINT A VARIANT... AND SPECIFICALLY "EVENT" BOOKS, LIKE, OH I DON'T KNOW, THE ANAD TITLE RE-LAUNCH.

Why? Why would they overprint those books?

What would be the difference between a Final Order Cut Off for a #1 and a Final Order Cut Off for any other number?

Once Final Order Cut Off happens, Marvel knows exactly how many they need.

Why would they over print some and not the others?

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

But post the whole list Chuck like you have done before or just stop talking.

No. Go see it for yourself.

30% of the list is non-#1's and 50% is 1:10's or higher.

I'll do no more of your work.

Prove that my own LCS is also a "liar" when he described the bulk of un-ordered non-RI that he essentially told me wasn't even worth taking the time to come down to the shop and look at. lol

He doesn't WANT you to see it. He knows you're a fool willing to pay good money for variants. Last thing he needs is you to see all of them that are on sale.

I placed an order for 23 different titles from it! My customers are happy - they'll get some cool variants at cover price!

You may not even realize how many potential customers you have already cost yourself with this latest vitriolic and nonsensical tirade against variants.

Because I've sought the truth? Because I'd rather be honest with people than hide behind speculation and 'collectible' nonsense just to make a quick dollar? If people don't want to buy anything from me because I DON'T want to rip them off.... lol... I can't help that!

And it's only non-sensical to YOU, because you're pride is far bigger than your brain.

You have made it EXTREMELY clear that you don't like them and resent having to up your game to get them.

I love variants! Archie Comics has 3 or 4 of them every month, I collect them all! lol Once again, you're WRONG!

You have no idea what you're talking about!

You have no facts to go along with your belief, so you just keep talking in circles.

You have nothing.

NOTHING!

-J.

Oh no... this is far too fun....

But post the whole list Chuck like you have done before or just stop talking. Prove that my own LCS is also a "liar" when he described the bulk of un-ordered non-RI that he essentially told me wasn't even worth taking the time to come down to the shop and look at. lol

You may not even realize how many potential customers you have already cost yourself with this latest vitriolic and nonsensical tirade against variants. You have made it EXTREMELY clear that you don't like them and resent having to up your game to get them.

-J.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Thanks Revat, as usual you offer a concise and we'll rounded take on matters.

As to those who continue to ask where the information that (at least Marvel) as a rule of thumb prints its variants to the nearest case, as close to the ordered RI, well that came from Chuck (and it has been echoed by other diamond account holders):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=7

Now granted Chuck also thinks that Marvel is "lying" about this as well, but given his obvious and repeatedly stated biases on the subject, I don't think it really matters what Chuck "thinks".

Oh and this is also the same thread where he posted the entire list of offernings of marvel variants that happened, four pages long :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=3

Not so sure why he's being so shy now. (shrug)

I have already screen shotted his posts in case he tries to delete them.

-J.

Revat is saying the same thing that I, Chuck, and others are saying.

(snip for propaganda)

-J.

Shotted...?

As to those who continue to ask where the information that (at least Marvel) as a rule of thumb prints its variants to the nearest case, as close to the ordered RI, well that came from Chuck:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=7

Now granted Chuck also thinks that Marvel is "lying" about this as well, but given his obvious and repeatedly stated biases on the subject, I don't think it really matters what Chuck "thinks".

Oh and this is also the same thread where he posted the entire list of offernings of marvel variants that happened, four pages long :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=3

-J.

And you still have nothing.

NOTHING.

As to those who continue to ask where the information that (at least Marvel) as a rule of thumb prints its variants to the nearest case, as close to the ordered RI, well that came from Chuck:

-J.

NOTHING.

:roflmao:

Just stop Chuck.

It's done.

-J.

Very new to this, but I am looking to start a collection. Does anyone have any suggestions on some comics that I should purchase right now that may gain value into the future. Thanks for your time, John

WTTB :hi:

If we knew the answer to that on a regular basis, we could all retire and read more comics. Try some trade paperbacks at your local library, cheap books at your LCS, and find stuff that you like to read. You'll have a great collection if you have it filled with your favorites. Wish I could be of more service to you but there are no guaranteed winners in comics. (thumbs u

-J.

NOTHING.

:roflmao:

Just stop Chuck.

It's done.

-J.

I know. You've shown zero proof of anything.

Very new to this, but I am looking to start a collection. Does anyone have any suggestions on some comics that I should purchase right now that may gain value into the future. Thanks for your time, John

Welcome to the boards,

I would recommend purchasing comics of characters that you thoroughly enjoy and to not be greatly concerned with the future value. If they go up in value it's a win, if not you still will have a great collection you can continue to enjoy. If it's mainly about collecting as an investment I'd say invest your money elsewhere, it's most likely going to safer and less concerning of what the future holds.

Welcome to the boards,

I would recommend purchasing comics of characters that you thoroughly enjoy and to not be greatly concerned with the future value. If they go up in value it's a win, if not you still will have a great collection you can continue to enjoy. If it's mainly about collecting as an investment I'd say invest your money elsewhere, it's most likely going to safer and less concerning of what the future holds.

Find your value in the art and stories and you will never go wrong.

Are you looking for resale? Are you reading the books? Are you just looking to speculate?

You need to be a little more clear on what your goals are. It would help us advise you better.

Are you looking for resale? Are you reading the books? Are you just looking to speculate?

You need to be a little more clear on what your goals are. It would help us advise you better.

I would be able to give you the best info if I had your bank account info and social security number.