• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

:golfclap:

That emoticon has always confused me. It could go either way. It could be sarcasm, or it could be agreement.

hm

I use the golf clap as sarcasm

I use it for sarcasm and as kudos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-Deadpool-6-first-appearance-of-Deadpool-2099-/111919024188?hash=item1a0ee4c83c:g:FOYAAOSwll1W0kN6

The Deadpool 2099 is pretty dang high in CGC 9.8 for a brand new comic of a major title. BUT the cover is sooooooo tough to find in high grade, The 2nd print too. I've been hunting and hunting, no luck. If Deadpool 2099 is popular or gets more popular, I think the value will keep and rise.

Also spoiler alert: Deadpool 2099 is Gwen-pool.

How do you know gwenpool is Deadpool 2099? Did I miss something?

Deadpool 6 is the 1st app of Deadpool 2099..i don't think there's a Gwenpool correlation .. And yes, Deadpool 6 is difficult to find at 9.8, I've got a few 9.6 but not good enough to gamble grading.

Edited by krighton

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

It's not what happens, but how you react to it.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

Nothing that advertisers spam on TV commercials and internet ads don't do. Everyone has the best coffee in New York or so I was told.

Blasphemy. We all know Portland has the best coffee.

Seattle's Best or Starbucks? hm

Dunn Brothers or Caribou?

Every third hispter in Brooklyn seems to be starting a coffee roasting shop. It's getting out of control. You'd think with all these coffee shops and competition it wouldn't be $4 for a cup, but there it is.

lol funny you mention Brooklyn. I live in a Los Angeles neighborhood that has been dubbed the west coast version of Brooklyn . I live amongst these hipsters . Oh god, am I one ? Hipsters don't care about comics right ? lol

hipsters only care about comics in Brooklyn and California. Whoops!

:roflmao:

lol funny you mention Brooklyn. I live in a Los Angeles neighborhood that has been dubbed the west coast version of Brooklyn . I live amongst these hipsters . Oh god, am I one ? Hipsters don't care about comics right ? lol

You do? Which one? Los Feliz? Silverlake? Westwood?

:golfclap:

That emoticon has always confused me. It could go either way. It could be sarcasm, or it could be agreement.

hm

I use the golf clap as sarcasm

I use it for sarcasm and as kudos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-Deadpool-6-first-appearance-of-Deadpool-2099-/111919024188?hash=item1a0ee4c83c:g:FOYAAOSwll1W0kN6

The Deadpool 2099 is pretty dang high in CGC 9.8 for a brand new comic of a major title. BUT the cover is sooooooo tough to find in high grade, The 2nd print too. I've been hunting and hunting, no luck. If Deadpool 2099 is popular or gets more popular, I think the value will keep and rise.

Also spoiler alert: Deadpool 2099 is Gwen-pool.

How do you know gwenpool is Deadpool 2099? Did I miss something?

Deadpool 6 is the 1st app of Deadpool 2099..i don't think there's a Gwenpool correlation .. And yes, Deadpool 6 is difficult to find at 9.8, I've got a few 9.6 but not good enough to gamble grading.

i know, just checking in to see if anyone actually read the comic.

Silverlake is the most hipsteriest, but is it the most brooklynnest?? Westwood has more companies like brooklyn, but is mostly a college town...

I'm gonna lay a bet on Highland Park, more brownstones....(yes I know Oxy is there, but it doesn't define that neighborhood like UCLA defines Westwood).

Silverlake is the most hipsteriest, but is it the most brooklynnest?? Westwood has more companies like brooklyn, but is mostly a college town...

I'm gonna lay a bet on Highland Park, more brownstones....(yes I know Oxy is there, but it doesn't define that neighborhood like UCLA defines Westwood).

I live in Highland Park. lol Down the street from Oxy. My wife grew up in Silver Lake.

If I were to move to the east coast, seems like Brooklyn will be the only place I would fit in. lol

Are you from Socal?

I live in Highland Park. lol Down the street from Oxy. My wife grew up in Silver Lake.

If I were to move to the east coast, seems like Brooklyn will be the only place I would fit in. lol

Are you from Socal?

Just an amateur observer on hipstering cultures, but also I guess very technically from LA. I've lived in LA twice, each time for 5 years (although the first time was ages 0-5).

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

You really are an arrogant tool do you know that ? lol

If you cannot make your points without being derogatory and insulting, your points aren't worth making at all.

That comment had nothing to do with you. It was simply an example. If you want to internalize and make personal a general comment, the problem is entirely yours.

How you have not gotten a strike is beyond me.

And yes, there are only 200-225 copies of the 667. It was a one case print run. You should probably stick to talking about Maxx books, because you look silly every time you try to talk about things that you obviously know nothing about. (thumbs u

-J.

Proof...?

Anything?

Any evidence of any kind?

As Chuck said, even your supporters see through you by now.

Enough already.

Speak for yourself darkstar. I mean lazyboy. I mean I mean, hmmmm....wait which one of your handles an I responding to today? :tonofbricks:

Again with the wholly unfounded accusations of shilling. How you have not gotten a strike is beyond me.

Do you have any idea how these boards are moderated? I have...twice....signed on to my account using computers belonging to other board members, and it is akin to trying to break in to the Louvre at midnight. A red alert goes out, addressed to everyone at the Certified Collectibles Group, that you have logged on from another member's computer, and you had better have a convincing reason why, or you will face summary banning, as well as the account whose computer you used.

So, if you think that myself, Darkstar, and Lazyboy are going to go to the trouble of carefully logging on through separate IP addresses each and every time we post, just to maintain a charade that we're "three different people", you've not got a handle on how things work, to put it very mildly.

I have provided more than an ample amount of evidence in support of my theories.

Yes, and I'm the prince of Moldova. It's easy to say something, anything. But actually doing the hard work of proving your case...? Much harder.

And the test is simple: provide a link to a post wherein you have provided evidence in support of your theories.

All you have done is offer more of the same junk that you always offer around here- unsupported opinions disguised as "facts" and "information".

And meticulously researched, and logically analyzed, with much data and evidence presented, with a clear, precise delineation between what is actual fact, and what is only opinion.

The amazing thing about you, Jay, is that you constantly, neverendingly, accuse others of precisely that which you are doing.

So how about we make this really easy for you:

If you ever come up with any of your own evidence (that door swings both ways, bud) that even suggests that I have been "deceitful" about whatever it is you think I'm being deceitful about, please feel more than free to post it.

You mean like here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=402242&Number=9193972#Post9193972

Where you presented "new evidence" that turned out to be a summary of the same information that had already been posted, re-packaged to dress it up?

I await with bated breath.

In the meantime, here's a bright idea- how about you let people buy what they like and enjoy these threads and this hobby for a change. (thumbs u

-J.

That statement, of course, is one of about a million attempts by you to mischaracterize what people say, to paint them in a light that doesn't exist, and to frame the conversation in a way that doesn't exist.

No one in debate with you has said that anyone isn't free to "buy what they like." And everyone is free to "enjoy these threads and this hobby" in any way they see fit. Just because you don't enjoy these discussions, doesn't mean others don't. Many people appreciate the willingness to "make waves" in challenging those who post inaccurate things, because they're interested in getting to the truth of a matter.

However...if you're going to insist on spreading misinformation, after being corrected about it by multiple people, in multiple threads, for going on multiple years...misinformation that has the potential to be very costly to the people listening and heeding such information...then you WILL continue to be corrected about it, by many people.

If you don't like that, the answer is simple: stop spreading misinformation. If you don't like being corrected, stop posting things which need correcting, starting with your mischaracterizations of what others say.

Pretty simple.

If you say so.

You really are an arrogant tool do you know that ? lol

If you cannot make your points without being derogatory and insulting, your points aren't worth making at all.

That comment had nothing to do with you. It was simply an example. If you want to internalize and make personal a general comment, the problem is entirely yours.

How you have not gotten a strike is beyond me.

And yes, there are only 200-225 copies of the 667. It was a one case print run. You should probably stick to talking about Maxx books, because you look silly every time you try to talk about things that you obviously know nothing about. (thumbs u

-J.

Proof...?

Anything?

Any evidence of any kind?

As Chuck said, even your supporters see through you by now.

Enough already.

Speak for yourself darkstar. I mean lazyboy. I mean I mean, hmmmm....wait which one of your handles an I responding to today? :tonofbricks:

Again with the wholly unfounded accusations of shilling. How you have not gotten a strike is beyond me.

Do you have any idea how these boards are moderated? I have...twice....signed on to my account using computers belonging to other board members, and it is akin to trying to break in to the Louvre at midnight. A red alert goes out, addressed to everyone at the Certified Collectibles Group, that you have logged on from another member's computer, and you had better have a convincing reason why, or you will face summary banning, as well as the account whose computer you used.

So, if you think that myself, Darkstar, and Lazyboy are going to go to the trouble of carefully logging on through separate IP addresses each and every time we post, just to maintain a charade that we're "three different people", you've not got a handle on how things work, to put it very mildly.

I have provided more than an ample amount of evidence in support of my theories.

Yes, and I'm the prince of Moldova. It's easy to say something, anything. But actually doing the hard work of proving your case...? Much harder.

And the test is simple: provide a link to a post wherein you have provided evidence in support of your theories.

All you have done is offer more of the same junk that you always offer around here- unsupported opinions disguised as "facts" and "information".

And meticulously researched, and logically analyzed, with much data and evidence presented, with a clear, precise delineation between what is actual fact, and what is only opinion.

The amazing thing about you, Jay, is that you constantly, neverendingly, accuse others of precisely that which you are doing.

So how about we make this really easy for you:

If you ever come up with any of your own evidence (that door swings both ways, bud) that even suggests that I have been "deceitful" about whatever it is you think I'm being deceitful about, please feel more than free to post it.

You mean like here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=402242&Number=9193972#Post9193972

Where you presented "new evidence" that turned out to be a summary of the same information that had already been posted, re-packaged to dress it up?

I await with bated breath.

In the meantime, here's a bright idea- how about you let people buy what they like and enjoy these threads and this hobby for a change. (thumbs u

-J.

That statement, of course, is one of about a million attempts by you to mischaracterize what people say, to paint them in a light that doesn't exist, and to frame the conversation in a way that doesn't exist.

No one in debate with you has said that anyone isn't free to "buy what they like." And everyone is free to "enjoy these threads and this hobby" in any way they see fit. Just because you don't enjoy these discussions, doesn't mean others don't. Many people appreciate the willingness to "make waves" in challenging those who post inaccurate things, because they're interested in getting to the truth of a matter.

However...if you're going to insist on spreading misinformation, after being corrected about it by multiple people, in multiple threads, for going on multiple years...misinformation that has the potential to be very costly to the people listening and heeding such information...then you WILL continue to be corrected about it, by many people.

If you don't like that, the answer is simple: stop spreading misinformation. If you don't like being corrected, stop posting things which need correcting, starting with your mischaracterizations of what others say.

Pretty simple.

...Still waiting for you to post any evidence whatsoever that demonstrates that any of the supported theories that I have meticulously set forth prior as being "misinformation" that I have "spread". lol

Because all that in your last post was still just more of your unsupported opinions ridiculously characterised by you as lessons.

I'm seriously starting to believe that you do not actually know the difference. hm

-J.

Are you from Socal?

I was close!

I live in Burbank, the "White Plains" of the west coast. Just down the street.

:D

...Still waiting for you to post any evidence whatsoever that demonstrates that any of the supported theories that I have meticulously set forth prior as being "misinformation" that I have "spread". lol

Because all that in your last post was still just more of your unsupported opinions ridiculously characterised by you as "lessons".

I'm seriously starting to believe that you do not actually know the difference. hm

-J.

See the link above. See Chuck's posts in this thread over the last couple of days.

Here's an example: you claimed that Marvel had "...actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants."

If that is so, produce this record. If that is so, it should be...you know....on the record.

I'll wait.

:popcorn:

Because all that in your last post was still just more of your unsupported opinions ridiculously characterised by you as "lessons".

-J.

See the link above. See Chuck's posts in this thread over the last couple of days.

Here's an example: you claimed that Marvel had "...actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants."

If that is so, produce this record. If that is so, it should be...you know....on the record.

I'll wait.

Oh okay.

So I'm supposed to take as gospel the other guy who posts on here who also mistakes his own opinions as facts.

Gotcha.

Carry on. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I'll wait.

Oh okay.

So I'm supposed to take as gospel the other guy who posts on here who also mistakes his own opinions as facts.

Gotcha.

Carry on. (thumbs u

-J.

So, no record, then...? You're not going to produce the record you claim Marvel has gone on?

Are you from Socal?

I was close!

I love Burbank! We were trying to buy a house there, but the real estate is expensive. I hit up a a comic book shop out there called House of Secrets every now and then.

Are you from Socal?

I was close!

I love Burbank! We were trying to buy a house there, but the real estate is expensive. I hit up a a comic book shop out there called House of Secrets every now and then.

House of Secrets...you have to be very, very, VERY careful about buying back issues.

I had been a customer of theirs going back to 1999, when I first moved here. Over the years, I started to notice that they didn't take much care in examining restored and/or qualified (missing page, missing stamp, etc) books.

I bought a Hulk #181 from them in 2010 or so...looked for the telltale red color touch along the spine...nothing. Then, got it home, and what do you know....brown color touch along a crease in the lower right quadrant of the front cover.

:facepalm:

They had a nice Justice League #2...I counted the pages, and it was missing one. I pointed it out to the co-owner, Eric, and he shrugged and put it back in the cabinet....didn't change anything.

The coup de grace, however, was an Avengers #1 mid-grade that I bought in 2010, just before the madness. I examined it very carefully, page by page by page, looking for the usual red color touch, missing pages, trimming, the works.

Satisfied, I took it to San Diego in 2011 and got it signed by Stan.

Came back a 5.5...

....restored, 5th wrap married.

I took it back, and Paul, the owner, was willing to only credit me what I had paid...and he was getting back a signed, slabbed 5.5 copy of Avengers #1....I was out the $100 or so that the signing and grading cost.

I've never stepped foot inside the store again.

Be VERY careful about what you buy there, especially the pricier back issues. I have little doubt that the place has become a dumping ground for problem books.

Are you from Socal?

I was close!

House of Secrets...you have to be very, very, VERY careful about buying back issues.

I had been a customer of theirs going back to 1999, when I first moved here. Over the years, I started to notice that they didn't take much care in examining restored and/or qualified (missing page, missing stamp, etc) books.

I bought a Hulk #181 from them in 2010 or so...looked for the telltale red color touch along the spine...nothing. Then, got it home, and what do you know....brown color touch along a crease in the lower right quadrant of the front cover.

They had a nice Justice League #2...I counted the pages, and it was missing one. I pointed it out to the co-owner, Eric, and he shrugged and put it back in the cabinet....didn't change anything.

The coup de grace, however, was an Avengers #1 mid-grade that I bought in 2010, just before the madness. I examined it very carefully, page by page by page, looking for the usual red color touch, missing pages, trimming, the works.

Satisfied, I took it to San Diego in 2011 and got it signed by Stan.

Came back a 5.5...

....restored, 5th wrap married.

I took it back, and Paul, the owner, was willing to only credit me what I had paid...and he was getting back a signed, slabbed 5.5 copy of Avengers #1....I was out the $100 or so that the signing and grading cost.

I've never stepped foot inside the store again.

Be VERY careful about what you buy there, especially the pricier back issues. I have little doubt that the place has become a dumping ground for problem books.

Love these forums, info like this is worth it's weight in 1's and 0's

Wow, I stop into a lot of random stores while traveling. I really need to make a note to check these things before dropping any amount of money I'm not comfortable with losing. Honestly I've always just taken it for granted that books at a comic shop were "safe". I guess I should really count myself lucky.

That is an eye opener and i do go to a bunch of shops while traveling haven't been burned yet (as far as i know) but some shops have been straight forward with restored issues that i have came across thanks for the info

Yeah, it's a shame, but I have a feeling that a LOT of comic book stores become dumping grounds for problem books.

In fact, I have little doubt that there are people who actively buy restored books, crack them out, then pass them off to unsuspecting store owners who don't know how to check for resto.

Not that you can't shop for old books, but you have to be very careful, and if you're concerned...stick with slabs. For every JIM #83 "is it, isn't it, is it" there are 100,000 that you know exactly what you're getting.