• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,770 posts in this topic

My question for everyone is...has this thread simply morphed into the "variants that are heating up on eBay thread"...?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems to be, itself, a bit "off-topic", so to speak...

I don't see why being a variant matters if it is heating up. But the market has chosen many times, a book that has the desired artwork, with he lowest print/distribution run usually wins. (Now I don't need an education print/distribution, we already covered that garbage on the last few pages.)

Show me a regular cover that is heating up, and get it posted rather than being so down on the hobby with the woe is me, the end is nigh, et tu brute . It's getting old.

I don't ever find what RMA says as being down on the hobby. I find his words the words of a realist with a great deal of experience. Personally I feel more people should listen and learn rather than hyping the days away.

I'll tell you what is hot. This trailer holy smokes.

The X-Men are still around? (shrug)

:baiting:

My question for everyone is...has this thread simply morphed into the "variants that are heating up on eBay thread"...?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems to be, itself, a bit "off-topic", so to speak...

I don't see why being a variant matters if it is heating up. But the market has chosen many times, a book that has the desired artwork, with he lowest print/distribution run usually wins. (Now I don't need an education print/distribution, we already covered that garbage on the last few pages.)

Show me a regular cover that is heating up, and get it posted rather than being so down on the hobby with the woe is me, the end is nigh, et tu brute . It's getting old.

I don't ever find what RMA says as being down on the hobby. I find his words the words of a realist with a great deal of experience. Personally I feel more people should listen and learn rather than hyping the days away.

I'll tell you what is hot. This trailer holy smokes.

The X-Men are still around? (shrug)

:baiting:

Not really in the Marvel picture books. lol

;)

What a lot of folks don't understand is that being honest about the hobby is about as "up" as one can get. It's contrary to human nature, but it remains true. When the hobby is built on sober, level-headed understanding, then people make wise decisions with their money, and they then tend to stay in it.

Those who get burned by hype...don't.

People staying in the hobby is what gives it its foundation, and drives the long term success of the "industry" part of the hobby.

Me? I don't care either way. A mass exodus from comics? Great, I can buy what I want for far cheaper, like what happened in the late 90's. NM/M Starlin Warlocks for $3, when they were "$40" in the OPG not 10 years earlier...? I'll take it!

A mass influx of buyers? Great, I can sell what I have for a lot more and then buy what I want.

It's win/win for me, either way. My agenda is unsullied.

What does damage, though, is instability, and people getting burned (that is, HURT and DAMAGED) by hype. That is what I care about, and because I am UP, not DOWN, about comics, I want to avoid that as much as possible. I love comics, and most everything about them, including (especially) variants. I've been compiling a book about them for the last 15 years or so. (when the Pedigree book is published...)

And, more importantly, I want everyone ELSE to love them, too, not fall prey to hucksters and hypesters and people who deceive others for profit.

/lecture

I don't see why being a variant matters if it is heating up. But the market has chosen many times, a book that has the desired artwork, with he lowest print/distribution run usually wins.

Absolutely, which is why I said "so to speak" and "not that there's anything wrong with that."

(Now I don't need an education print/distribution, we already covered that garbage on the last few pages.)

Oh, so tempting to lecture...must...resist...

GAH!

"Garbage"? You think understanding the dynamics of the market, in ALL its aspects, is "garbage", especially that which has direct bearing on supply/demand?

Really...?

If what I have to say bothers you, there's an ignore function so that you don't have to see what I say. I recommend it. Even though it's imperfect, it is a handy solution to not have to deal with those you don't wish to deal with. I use it, and it really clears up the clutter.

;)

What a lot of folks don't understand is that being honest about the hobby is about as "up" as one can get. It's contrary to human nature, but it remains true. When the hobby is built on sober, level-headed understanding, then people make wise decisions with their money, and they then tend to stay in it.

People staying in the hobby is what gives it its foundation, and drives the long term success of the "industry" part of the hobby.

Me? I don't care either way. A mass exodus from comics? Great, I can buy what I want for far cheaper, like what happened in the late 90's. NM/M Starlin Warlocks for $3, when they were "$40" in the OPG not 10 years earlier...? I'll take it!

A mass influx of buyers? Great, I can sell what I have for a lot more and then buy what I want.

What does damage, though, is instability, and people getting burned (that is, HURT and DAMAGED) by hype. That is what I care about, and because I am UP, not DOWN, about comics, I want to avoid that as much as possible. I love comics, and most everything about them, including (especially) variants. I've been compiling a book about them for the last 15 years or so. (when the Pedigree book is published...)

And, more importantly, I want everyone ELSE to love them, too, not fall prey to hucksters and hypesters and people who deceive others for profit.

/lecture

+1 I think currently in this hobby and our society in general has changed definitions so much anyone can look at it from opposite sides. A collector who buys a few extra to sell is not a bad person, he may love the hobby more than the detractor but his "selling for a profit" can be defined as gouging, exploiting, and generally ripping someone off. I think just the opposite but sadly that is becoming the minority opinion to all things capitalism.

I don't begrudge anyone doing well and making some profits because I know that is healthy in a market. That "speculator" or whatever word used is going to infuse more currency into the hobby. Sure there are going to be a few who take profits and quit / run away but I doubt many will.

Edited by natevegas

Well, you are in a thread all about profiting on books heating up. Safe to say, you should be posting somewhere else if you feel that way.

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with profiting on books heating up.

You didn't understand what I said. Let me say it again:

people who deceive others for profit.

...or is this thread ABOUT deceiving others for profit, in which case, you would be correct...?

hm

People love variants!

My focus is on a specific character (psylocke) and artist (JSC). So I pretty much talk about my collecting focus whether a book is a variant or regular cover.

I don't frequent this thread as much as the other threads, since I don't really flip books and I am too lazy to list and sell. Only time I sell is to refocus my collection for the most part. With that said, I don't think this thread has gone off topic. Seems like it has been par for the course. lol

Saga had less than 40K if I remember correctly. Still not as crazy high as DC or Marvel.

-------

That is more than the bulk of DC titles in any given month and many Marvels. It is not like a hyped Marvel #1, yes. In October 2015, for example, Green Lantern, Action, Batman Superman, New Suicide Squad, Flash, and Wonder Woman were all in the 30,000s. Justice League United, Martian Manhunter, Batman Arkham Knight, Gotham Academy, Doctor Fate, Batman 66, and Gotham By Midnight were all under (often well under) 20k.

With that said, Saga seems to be declining a little every month according to comichron. Into the high 40Ks now. I suppose more people are deciding to wait for the TPB? Is it available as a download.

Still a very healthy number as far as Image titles not called Walking Dead are concerned.

Saga had less than 40K if I remember correctly. Still not as crazy high as DC or Marvel.

-------

That is more than the bulk of DC titles in any given month and many Marvels. It is not like a hyped Marvel #1, yes. In October 2015, for example, Green Lantern, Action, Batman Superman, New Suicide Squad, Flash, and Wonder Woman were all in the 30,000s. Justice League United, Martian Manhunter, Batman Arkham Knight, Gotham Academy, Doctor Fate, Batman 66, and Gotham By Midnight were all under (often well under) 20k.

With that said, Saga seems to be declining a little every month according to comichron. Into the high 40Ks now. I suppose more people are deciding to wait for the TPB? Is it available as a download.

Still a very healthy number as far as Image titles not called Walking Dead are concerned.

Yeah, it is available through TBP and digital download. I know quite a few people that go that route versus buying monthly. Also, people bought the hardcover edition and probably waiting for the #2. I know I am. lol

;)

/lecture

:golfclap:

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

It's not what happens, but how you react to it.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

Nothing that advertisers spam on TV commercials and internet ads don't do. Everyone has the best coffee in New York or so I was told.

If you say so.

You really are an arrogant tool do you know that ? lol

And yes, there are only 200-225 copies of the 667. It was a one case print run. You should probably stick to talking about Maxx books, because you look silly every time you try to talk about things that you obviously know nothing about. (thumbs u

-J.

If you say so.

Nothing that advertisers spam on TV commercials and internet ads don't do. Everyone has the best coffee in New York or so I was told.

Blasphemy. We all know Portland has the best coffee.