• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,809 posts in this topic

I'm going to go ahead and say the Greg Horn cover is worth less than $100 raw after May 4

I'm going to go ahead and say that EVERY cover to ASM #1 will be worth less than what everyone pays for them in ninety days.

Overprinted book of the decade.

+ 1 even the RRP summit has a high run . Larry do you know the summit book number 6000 ?

I'm going to go ahead and say the Greg Horn cover is worth less than $100 raw after May 4

I'm going to go ahead and say that EVERY cover to ASM #1 will be worth less than what everyone pays for them in ninety days.

Overprinted book of the decade.

+ 1 even the RRP summit has a high run . Larry do you know the summit book number 6000 ?

6k is the number for the shop variants.

Marvel required a 3k purchase then doubled everyone's order to win the month with highest book sold.

The summit book is produced by them, & I'd imagine its lower.

I admit to having a case of sour grapes.

Last year I spent thousands on Marvel #1's only to have titles re-launched a year later..

I'm told there will be an Amazing Spider-Man #1 next year.

I'm NOT even kidding.

Edited by LarrysComics

Still not bad for points I had in my from past purchases.

+1

I've been having mad points on my account for a long while. Just nothing good to get....but now I'm glad I had enough points for these. So a bonus even if the book is worthless or not come May

Just came back from GameStop. Purchased some used games I've been wanting to play. Now waiting for them to show up on my account and I'll redeem my book

:applause:

It will probably take a day to show up but hopefully sooner.

I'm told there will be an Amazing Spider-Man #1 next year.

I'm NOT even kidding.

WOW ! I cant believe they would reboot again ! they are losing so many regular customers with these reboots. they are selling more copies but... its only because they are forcing the retailers hands with variant incentives. Its to bad they could not just lower these cover prices and write consistent cool stories and work on increased readership instead of gimmicks ! Kirkman is dead on about marvel !

I know Dc just rebooted but odds are there main titles will not see a reboot again for years.

Edited by paul747

Gamestop Comic doesn't even ship till May, hard to see it as being worthless. Plus 10 points per dollar spent at Gamestop....oh well worth a shot, as long as it shows up in one piece. Probably small chance any end up 9.8.

Star Wars Gamestop variant crashed and burned pretty quick, doesn't seem to sell for much now. Only 3k of that one.

Edited by krighton

Marvel is in the comics selling business, not the back issue market business.
Yea ? your point? They are losing readers non stop with the reboots so i would say that their short term sales spikes are going to hurt them or should I say the print side of comics.

Also as Larry stated how many times are they going to get retailers to buy into the next big thing only to get burned over and over again... just an opinion !

But does the retailers have the guts to hold their ground and start ordering less each month to prove a point with Marvel? The only answer to that is if and when sales start to deteriorate for retailers forcing them to order less as their unsold inventory increase.

Yea ? your point? They are losing readers non stop with the reboots so i would say that their short term sales spikes are going to hurt them or should I say the print side of comics.

Also as Larry stated how many times are they going to get retailers to buy into the next big thing only to get burned over and over again... just an opinion !

I agree that the reboots and their lack of care for the secondary market impact their business whether they understand it or not. The people heavily promoting their books and movies and TV shows are old time collectors imo. Marvel will always be a fond memory for me as I grew up in what I consider their peak of art and storytelling. That wasn't enough to keep me mindlessly buying their products. I don't know whether I grew tired of capes ( though I still read Invincible and Injustice ) or if it was the rebooting that ran me off but I do know that they quit producing material I cared about, good or bad.

from a recent interview on Newsarama with Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso and Senior VP, Sales & Marketing David Gabriel about their ‘All-New Marvel NOW!’ initiative:

http://www.newsarama.com/20643-marvel-s-alonso-gabriel-talk-all-new-now-branding-new-launches-the-reasons-behind-renumbering.html

Nrama: Onto the ‘#1‘ thing.

Why is Marvel now renumbering/launching titles so (relatively) frequently compared to the past?

Gabriel: We actually spent a lot of time talking about this at our last editorial retreat. People consume their content much differently these days than in the past. Renumbering titles offers us an opportunity to provide readers with an easily digestible chunk of content, not unlike a season of a television show.

Renumbering has its critics, but at end of the day we’re much more focused on making good stories than where they fit in a longbox. If you look at the numbers, books sell better after a relaunch. And even if the numbers eventually settle back to where they were after a year or two – that’s still 2 years of retailers selling more copies and 2 years of more Marvel comics in the hands of fans.

Nrama: You both are aware that while numbers are hard to quantify, as you say David, there are critics of renumbering. So to play “fanboy’s advocate” for a moment, what do you say to the common argument that if the quality of the titles was there, publishers wouldn’t have to renumber in order to boost or maintain sales?

Gabriel: Quality doesn’t always mean big sales numbers. Any publisher will tell you that. Daredevil is a perfect example. Nobody would argue that Mark Waid and Chris Samnee’s title is lacking in quality with all the awards they’ve won. It’s not selling poorly by any means, but relaunching the title for ‘All-New Marvel NOW!’ has almost tripled the numbers on a title that was nearly universally critically acclaimed. And to us, that’s putting a critically acclaimed comic into the hands of more readers.

Amazing Spiderman 1 Greg horn GameStop variant, this puppy is fetching at least $300-$500 and they are all pre orders, gonna be a hard book to find because of the fact that it has a 6,000 print run and you can only get it with GameStop reward points instead of buying it.

They also have no clue how to ship them.

from a recent interview on Newsarama with Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso and Senior VP, Sales & Marketing David Gabriel about their ‘All-New Marvel NOW!’ initiative:

http://www.newsarama.com/20643-marvel-s-alonso-gabriel-talk-all-new-now-branding-new-launches-the-reasons-behind-renumbering.html

Why is Marvel now renumbering/launching titles so (relatively) frequently compared to the past?

Gabriel: We actually spent a lot of time talking about this at our last editorial retreat. People consume their content much differently these days than in the past. Renumbering titles offers us an opportunity to provide readers with an easily digestible chunk of content, not unlike a season of a television show.

Renumbering has its critics, but at end of the day we’re much more focused on making good stories than where they fit in a longbox. If you look at the numbers, books sell better after a relaunch. And even if the numbers eventually settle back to where they were after a year or two – that’s still 2 years of retailers selling more copies and 2 years of more Marvel comics in the hands of fans.

Nrama: You both are aware that while numbers are hard to quantify, as you say David, there are critics of renumbering. So to play “fanboy’s advocate” for a moment, what do you say to the common argument that if the quality of the titles was there, publishers wouldn’t have to renumber in order to boost or maintain sales?

Gabriel: Quality doesn’t always mean big sales numbers. Any publisher will tell you that. Daredevil is a perfect example. Nobody would argue that Mark Waid and Chris Samnee’s title is lacking in quality with all the awards they’ve won. It’s not selling poorly by any means, but relaunching the title for ‘All-New Marvel NOW!’ has almost tripled the numbers on a title that was nearly universally critically acclaimed. And to us, that’s putting a critically acclaimed comic into the hands of more readers.

I get why they think rebooting is a winner but I think they just have less people buying/hoarding more copies of each early issue. I don't in any way believe the are adding new readers. Does anyone ?

Big companies always feel they can produce whatever they want and people will continue buying their products. There has never been a better example of this than the Big 3 automakers. I'm a diehard buy American guy but I saw the writing on the wall 2 decades ago. The big 3 isn't so big anymore and is now the big 5. I believe Image is the new Toyota and Marvel's indifference will not pan out any better than it did for the automakers who had a very similar philosophy.

I get why they think rebooting is a winner but I think they just have less people buying/hoarding more copies of each early issue. I don't in any way believe the are adding new readers. Does anyone ?

Big companies always feel they can produce whatever they want and people will continue buying their products. There has never been a better example of this than the Big 3 automakers. I'm a diehard buy American guy but I saw the writing on the wall 2 decades ago. The big 3 isn't so big anymore and is now the big 5. I believe Image is the new Toyota and Marvel's indifference will not pan out any better than it did for the automakers who had a very similar philosophy.

+1

They can't look at their customers as $ signs. This can't be a formula for long term sucess.

+1

They can't look at their customers as $ signs. This can't be a formula for long term sucess.

The number of Marvel books I bought five years ago versus what I buy today is shocking. I'm lucky if I buy 2-3 a month now. I'd guess this is common with many former Marvel zombies.

But clearly some meatchunks are still buying. So it's hard to fault them.

Patrick

My point is that they don't care how many number 1 issues they put out because they are selling, Marvel will never say "Oh, we need to cut back on this print run for the benefit of the collectors who seal it in a plastic bag, never to be looked at until 50 years from now.

Answer is simple, they will get retailers to buy into the next big thing as long as they keep buying!! It's called Marketing! How many times are the grocery stores going to keep raising thier food prices??? As much as they can until you decide to starve to death!

Comics are no different than anything else being marketed in this world.

Good article but off. I think a lot of those early reboot issues are now in dealers back issue stacks. And as soon as they hit the reboot again the dealers loose money. If they want to play it like tv seasons then go that direction. What they are doing is feeding the hype machine and I think sooner or later retailers are going to stop feeding into their bs. I know a couple of retailers that cut back their orders on the new spider-man and the original sin books because of the super high print numbers and the excessive variants. Not a day later they received strong arm calls from diamond asking them if they where sure they wanted to cut back and that it was going to be a huge book . Those books will be a buck on eBay two weeks after launch and the variants will spike and then decrease. Marvel is horrible. I hope dc keeps the current reboot going.

Amazing Spiderman 1 Greg horn GameStop variant, this puppy is fetching at least $300-$500 and they are all pre orders, gonna be a hard book to find because of the fact that it has a 6,000 print run and you can only get it with GameStop reward points instead of buying it.

They also have no clue how to ship them.

Will this just go the route of the SW variant as well?