• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Tot 1 kills me. I had 20 pristine copies in. Hand a week after it came out, read the buzz here but didn't see any real prices on ebay ($3 to $5) and decided to only buy one. They also had a ton of fatale 1s. Risk and reward to those willing to pull the trigger.

What I don't understand about the Thief of Theives fanatics is that they don't spend close to proportionally the amount of money that they should on the Comicspro and ICE variants when those books are much more rare and in my mind much more desirable than the regular cover. The Comicspro and ICE variants weren't regional variants or comic shop variants and they are in the case of the ICE variant 17 times more rare than the regular cover and in the case of the Comicspro variant 68 times more rare than the regular cover. Plus a lot of the ICE variants were signed which makes them done as far as CGC goes because they weren't slabbed as SS books at the time of the signing and will forever be relegated to green slabs which people generally refrain from paying big money for. The way I see it - the ICE and Comicspro variants are the way to go if you are investing in these books to cash in when/if the AMC pilot turns into a blockbuster TV series. That's just my opinion, but I've not heard a satisfactory explanation for the disparity in price. About the best explanation I've heard is that people don't like the Comicspro sketch cover's look and that people don't understand what the ICE ("Image Comics Expo) variant is so they buy the regular cover. If the Comicspro variant goes down any lower, I'm going to be picking up a half a dozen copies of it for myself. lol

What I don't understand about the Thief of Theives fanatics is that they don't spend close to proportionally the amount of money that they should on the Comicspro and ICE variants when those books are much more rare and in my mind much more desirable than the regular cover. The Comicspro and ICE variants weren't regional variants or comic shop variants and they are in the case of the ICE variant 17 times more rare than the regular cover and in the case of the Comicspro variant 68 times more rare than the regular cover. Plus a lot of the ICE variants were signed which makes them done as far as CGC goes because they weren't slabbed as SS books at the time of the signing and will forever be relegated to green slabs which people generally refrain from paying big money for. The way I see it - the ICE and Comicspro variants are the way to go if you are investing in these books to cash in when/if the AMC pilot turns into a blockbuster TV series. That's just my opinion, but I've not heard a satisfactory explanation for the disparity in price. About the best explanation I've heard is that people don't like the Comicspro sketch cover's look and that people don't understand what the ICE ("Image Comics Expo) variant is so they buy the regular cover. If the Comicspro variant goes down any lower, I'm going to be picking up a half a dozen copies of it for myself. lol

I just say most that are buying up ToT just assume that the fist issue is the one to have. Now do i think most know that the print run is so high for issue 1? No i dont think they have a idea. They might just assume like WD success with number 1 that it would be the same thing. So people just gobble up the first issue.

A month ago could get comics pro cheap. Now its still somewhat high not as low as it was before. So i think people rather spend $30 to $50 for a raw ToT #1 then pay $100+ for the comics pro. Yes covers look better then the other.

Now with Joels that sold for $600 plus tonight i think the price of ToT #1 will still continue to rise.

Comics pro sig cgc 9.8 would bring some attention to it and then i think we will see price for the comics pro raw kill some more. IMO

A month ago could get comics pro cheap. Now its still somewhat high not as low as it was before. So i think people rather spend $30 to $50 for a raw ToT #1 then pay $100+ for the comics pro. Yes covers look better then the other.

You can still find ToT #1 regular issues for cover price in some areas. So you can buy 33 regular covers for the cost of one $100 Ice or Comics Pro cover. Let's say that Comics Pro goes for $1,000 next month and a regular issue for $100.00. That stack of 33 regular issues will be worth $3,300 vs the Comics Pro for $1,000...not to mention selling $100 book will be easier than unloading a $1,000 book. This is just an example but I believe one can make more volume wise selling regular issues vs limited Comics Pro and Ice variants. I've owned all three variants and the most I paid was $9.99 for the Comic Pro and an average of 5.00 for my regular issues. I sold the Comics Pro and Ice variants during the first run up months ago and used th money to fund some OA. I was going to buy some more variants once prices dropped but forgot about it. But I'm still sitting good on regular issues.

i'm sure somewhere in the united states you can find ToT for cover, just not anywhere near me. But i'm sitting on enough of them and the #2s right now that i'm not really looking too hard.

Edited by krighton

should say sitting on some, i hate selling completely out of something. Plus i like the book so i'll keep a few back. I'll put a couple sets on ebay. Still a bit confused by the disparity between the CGC & the raw...seems like too wide of a margin, i think there's room for the 1 to grow some more.

Did you hang on to a few multiples of TWD when it got hot or did you sell through what you had. yes poor comparison considering there's only 3 issues out of ToT.

Edited by krighton

So you prefer selling raw?

for the most part, yeah, if i'm not sure they're 9.8.

Though i'll sell the Comicspro/expo cgc i have sitting in limbo at the moment.

Edited by krighton

for the most part, yeah, if i'm not sure they're 9.8.

Though i'll sell the Comicspro/expo cgc i have sitting in limbo at the moment.

The way they're selling now, it'd probably be worth it to sell 9.6's.

Selling raws on eBay, you never know when a buyer is going to complain about the grade. It's a gamble.

I just say most that are buying up ToT just assume that the fist issue is the one to have. Now do i think most know that the print run is so high for issue 1?

the print run for #1 is like under 18k. that isn't high AT ALL. and #2 is even lower.

With it being so hot right now why are you sitting?

because the chance of it getting hotter and the price rising is very good. you sell off a few copies, pay for all your copies, then sit on what you have left in hopes that the prices keep rising. if they don't, you made your money already. if they do, you make a killing.

i do too. see, i don't speculate on books. i wait until they are already hot, then check local LCSs for the books. i ALWAYS find what's hot. ALWAYS. so, for me to send the book to cgc and wait, and pay for whatever the cost is, instead of just selling the book for instant profit, doesn't make sense for me.

Edited by Hawkman

17K is a high print run compared to Walking Dead 1 and Chew 1 ... it's clearly a minor print run in comparison to Saga and books from Marvel/DC. When raw books are selling for $50 on feebay three months after the book is released, it's a pretty high print run in my opinoin.

17K is a high print run compared to Walking Dead 1 and Chew 1 ... it's clearly a minor print run in comparison to Saga and books from Marvel/DC. When raw books are selling for $50 on feebay three months after the book is released, it's a pretty high print run in my opinoin.

compared to a peso, a nickel is a lot of money. chew's print run was like 4k. WD 7k. that is TINY. 17k for a book that just dropped is very small imho. especially since there will be people who bought the book only to read. i'd bet there's already less than 17k NM copies.

also, when a book is selling for $50 three months after it came out, i'd say it's because the book is hot and there aren't tons of copies. if ToT had as many copies as Saga, i think the price would be lower.

Edited by Hawkman

With it being so hot right now why are you sitting?

because the chance of it getting hotter and the price rising is very good. you sell off a few copies, pay for all your copies, then sit on what you have left in hopes that the prices keep rising. if they don't, you made your money already. if they do, you make a killing.

As opposed to selling now and making a killing and then buying more and making more of a killing?

i do too. see, i don't speculate on books. i wait until they are already hot, then check local LCSs for the books. i ALWAYS find what's hot. ALWAYS. so, for me to send the book to cgc and wait, and pay for whatever the cost is, instead of just selling the book for instant profit, doesn't make sense for me.

To each their own. I select books where the profit graded far exceeds any money to be made on raws.