• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Found the links confirming it. Thank you Court.

So a random post on a Star Wars Comic Facebook page is a confirmation? Of what, something they heard? I'm still not clear on who posted the information or what their source was.

About the same as the rumor of the recall. There was no official word on that either. (shrug)

Fair point, but at least there we had a couple of stories on Bleeding Cool. It was something.

Plus many people were reporting the same thing I heard. I had a hot topic manager tell me that they were ordered by corporate to pull them to be destroyed. I think some people are now reporting, when they go back to get a copy coming back to the shelves, that the store already destroyed their copies.

In my area malls, one Hot Topic had destroyed their copies, one had sold out, while the other had 6 copies. I grabbed all 6 for $24. So maybe they're not worth $200 each, but it still seems to be a fairly hard to find variant.

Hot Topics ordered more than 3000 copies. This is not one of the hard to find variants unfortunately for those who got fleeced this week.

While I don't doubt the #, given that they have close to 1000 stores, can you give a cite for that #? Also, if copies did get destroyed, how will we ever know the amounts left? This one may have ambiguity to it for a long time to come.

A friend of mine bought 4 and I bought the last 5 at a hot topic in my area. He sold 4 at around 170 a piece yesterday. I sold 4 of the 5 for about 160 each yesterday. We took the chance that they wouldn't gain value. One of his buyers, after buying, paying and sending a message as to when he would ship- hours later asked for a refund. I've bought stuff and regretted it but you have to man up and deal with it. You win some, you lose some. Too many punks on ebay.

Yup. Please avoid ebay name mik-salis. He's the one the bought one from me, paid, and even asked me to ship same day. Hours later he asked to cancel transaction saying he had bought on mistake.

I'm not sure if mik-salis is a member or not but please avoid him. I will be submitting a request to the ebay thread block list here on forums. I don't care about the money but when I close a deal (win or lose), I keep my word. Now he even opened a paypal case stating "item not received". Opened case same day as paying for item.

As I said, I don't care about the money, but be a man about it. I've lost some and won some.

If he opened the case already, make sure you emphasize this to eBay if you contest the case. It illustrates pretty clearly the guy had no intention of being honest.

So a random post on a Star Wars Comic Facebook page is a confirmation? Of what, something they heard? I'm still not clear on who posted the information or what their source was.

About the same as the rumor of the recall. There was no official word on that either. (shrug)

Fair point, but at least there we had a couple of stories on Bleeding Cool. It was something.

Plus many people were reporting the same thing I heard. I had a hot topic manager tell me that they were ordered by corporate to pull them to be destroyed. I think some people are now reporting, when they go back to get a copy coming back to the shelves, that the store already destroyed their copies.

This whole thing seems to be a CF. And we still don't know print run, or percentage destroyed.

A friend of mine bought 4 and I bought the last 5 at a hot topic in my area. He sold 4 at around 170 a piece yesterday. I sold 4 of the 5 for about 160 each yesterday. We took the chance that they wouldn't gain value. One of his buyers, after buying, paying and sending a message as to when he would ship- hours later asked for a refund. I've bought stuff and regretted it but you have to man up and deal with it. You win some, you lose some. Too many punks on ebay.

If they were advertise as "recalled" comics and it turns out the comics are not recalled, then the buyer has every right to return this comic.

Except the seller can cite Bleeding Cool reports that it was recalled.

If they were advertise as "recalled" comics and it turns out the comics are not recalled, then the buyer has every right to return this comic.

That's a pretty weak argument. Let me ask you this, would you deal with a person like this? His ebay name is mik-salis by the way. I'm not sure if he is a member or not, but I think that's a classless move.

Keep in mind, if he backed out of a deal because a comic lost value, he is most likely the kind of seller who will back out if he sells a comic, and that comic goes dramatically up in value. He would probably be that same seller who will come up with excuse such as, 'Sorry, but I don't have supply to meet the demand, I have to cancel transaction', then turn around and sell at higher price later on.

All I'm saying, avoid that type of buyer/seller. If you like dealing with people like that, that's good. I just don't like dishonest people who won't keep their word, pretty shady if you ask me. Someone who will back out of a deal because of comic value fluctuation and not some legit reason.

Except the seller can cite Bleeding Cool reports that it was recalled.

Anyone that even suggests Bleeding Cool is a website based on facts is not a seller you want to buy from.

Bleeding Cool is a rumor site, not a news site. Unless someone can produce a copy of this corporate letter/email saying they were recalled/destroyed, I won't believe any such occurrence took place. With over 600 stores across the country, surely a copy of this letter/email would have escaped by now. And all we are hearing is anecdotal information about destroyed copies from people who heard this from some workers at Hot Topics. I know if I worked there and was being pestered about this comic, I would be making up some stories to entertain myself.

If Bleeding Cool said Sleepwalker #1 was a hot comic, the same thing would have occurred with that comic. That has been the nature of "news" on that site for a few years now.

I still think it is possible something at Hot Topic has occurred. But as time goes, I become more skeptical it was a recall so much as a street date. We never saw any official news from any of the bigger Star Wars news sites. And more and more copies keep popping up on eBay.

I'm guessing this situation occurred because Hot Topic is similar to other general retail stores. They don't all release their merchandise at the same time! I remember chasing Star Wars toys in the 90s and some stores put product out on street dates (not all products have a "street date"), some put them out early, and some put them out later. This happens with new books at bookstores all the time. Comic shops and movie/game shops operate much different than general retailers with regards to these street dates. Right now, unless I hear something official, this seemed like much ado about nothing.

Of course, I can be wrong. I know what I heard this week from my call to the local Hot Topic store, which differed from the "recall and destroy" news we had on these boards. They assured me that the comic would be put out sometime next month when they received them and had not heard anything about a "recall and destroy" corporate letter.

Right now, this feels like a rumor that got out of control.

Edited by rjrjr

Bleeding Cool is a rumor site, not a news site. Unless someone can produce a copy of this corporate letter/email saying they were recalled/destroyed, I won't believe any such occurrence took place. With over 600 stores across the country, surely a copy of this letter/email would have escaped by now. And all we are hearing is anecdotal information about destroyed copies from people who heard this from some workers at Hot Topics. I know if I worked there and was being pestered about this comic, I would be making up some stories to entertain myself.

If Bleeding Cool said Sleepwalker #1 was a hot comic, the same thing would have occurred with that comic. That has been the nature of "news" on that site for a few years now.

I still think it is possible something at Hot Topic has occurred. But as time goes, I become more skeptical it was a recall so much as a street date. We never saw any official news from any of the bigger Star Wars news sites. And more and more copies keep popping up on eBay.

I'm guessing this situation occurred because Hot Topic is similar to other general retail stores. They don't all release their merchandise at the same time! I remember chasing Star Wars toys in the 90s and some stores put product out on street dates (not all products have a "street date"), some put them out early, and some put them out later. This happens with new books at bookstores all the time. Comic shops and movie/game shops operate much different than general retailers with regards to these street dates. Right now, unless I hear something official, this seemed like much ado about nothing.

Of course, I can be wrong. I know what I heard this week from my call to the local Hot Topic store, which differed from the "recall and destroy" news we had on these boards. They assured me that the comic would be put out sometime next month when they received them and had not heard anything about a "recall and destroy" corporate letter.

The recall e-mail happened. Why else would some Hot Topic's destroy there copies?

At the Hot Topic near me they let me read the e-mail on the computer.

I was surprised to hear Funko allowed them to release the held books for sale, but thats the nature of retail - its crayfish.

In my area malls, one Hot Topic had destroyed their copies, one had sold out, while the other had 6 copies. I grabbed all 6 for $24. So maybe they're not worth $200 each, but it still seems to be a fairly hard to find variant.

Hot Topics ordered more than 3000 copies. This is not one of the hard to find variants unfortunately for those who got fleeced this week.

While I don't doubt the #, given that they have close to 1000 stores, can you give a cite for that #? Also, if copies did get destroyed, how will we ever know the amounts left? This one may have ambiguity to it for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, I cannot cite a #. With over 600 stores, it is doubtful Hot Topic ordered under 5 copies per location as we've been hearing from some who have found more than 5 copies at some stores. I also know they had/have plans to list this comic on their website. I posted the link to where the comic was listed on their site (at the time the link worked, it showed "coming soon" or something along those lines with a picture of the comic) but that link no longer works.

What is a reasonable number per store? 10 copies gives us over 6000 Hot Topic variants. 20 copies would give us over 12000 Hot Topic variants. If you figure they also plan/planned on selling these online, it is reasonable to expect the Hot Topic variant to be between 6000 and 15000 copies. While I have no proof of this, I would bet my guess is closer to reality than 3000 copies.

Also, if these comics sell well, what is to say they don't ask for more copies from Marvel? Hastings did this when they put out their Star Wars #1 exclusive from Dark Horse a few years ago. The initial wave of these comics hit stores and their online store and they sold out. Then, a few weeks later, more copies showed up at their retail stores and online. This second wave lasted much longer than that first release wave. I remember those initial copies selling for $20+ and after the second wave hit, that was a $5 comic.

But I will admit, I'm just speculating. No different than those who spent over $200 for their copy of the "recalled" Hot Topic variant.

Edited by rjrjr

The recall e-mail happened. Why else would some Hot Topic's destroy there copies?

I was surprised to hear Funko allowed them to release the held books for sale, but thats the nature of retail - its crayfish.

Any chance you could go back to the store and take a picture of this email? Seriously, some hard proof here one way or another would be extremely helpful. You would also be a hero to those who want to know the truth. :foryou:

Any chance you could go back to the store and take a picture of this email? Seriously, some hard proof here one way or another would be extremely helpful. You would also be a hero to those who want to know the truth. :foryou:

If I could have taken a photo I would have posted a photo.

The only pictures I take at hot topic are not ones I can legally post.

:applause:

Okay. I just sent a PM to Rich Johnson seeing if he can get proof and post it.

Okay. I just sent a PM to Rich Johnson seeing if he can get proof and post it.

He lives in the UK and bases all of his information on second hand knowledge.

I wouldn't expect him to respond to you.

In the Star Wars world 3-4K is pretty tough. They will have keep a decent resale value.

Some stores are still just holding their books currently waiting on direction from corporate.

Edited by Fastballspecial