• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Good ol Capitalism. In the end someone is getting screwed.

And without capitalism comics would most likely not exist at all.

Capitalism, an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

Ah yes, those State run comics would be a hoot.

lol

Capitalism, an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

Super Quota Distribution Man! Able to tabulate your weekly food rations at incredible rates!

Super Quota Distribution Man! Able to tabulate your weekly food rations at incredible rates!

Sounds like a less boring version of Superman!

:jokealert:

Capitalism encompasses a broad range of economic structures. Ironically, the structure that makes the creative process profitable is the copyright (and other intellectual property protections such as the trademark). Many free market capitalists attack the copyright as excessive government intrusion and claim it is incomparable with laissez-faire capitalism. So actually, if we had a true free market captialist economic structure, we would not have comics as we know them today. Sellers should instead be thanking our mixed economic structure. :preach:

My 2c Last Thursday I called Hot Topic. Was told that they had them but couldn't sell them and the corrected version would be out in a few weeks.

Last Friday I tried again and I was able to buy the last 6 copies the store had. This was before I heard about the email.

A couple of my buddies in SoCal tried 5 stores and they all said they either didn't get them, were destroyed, were returned to corporate to be destroyed, or already ran out.

My opinion is this is going to be more rare than we realize currently. I sure hope a 2nd print is called a 2nd print no matter what book it is.

Like the Superior Spider-Man 20 Scott Campbell blackcat variant that was a $50 raw book now going for $300 in 9.8, once this book stays in collectors hands it will keep going up.

.... I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow :popcorn:

Man this whole thing is a mess.

Feel for those that were dropping $100+ . Win some and lose some.

I doubt that many of the board sales for that amount are going through, and eBay will be a sea of buyer complaints that will effectively nullify those sales too. Unless there were some cash sales that took place face to face in that short window, there shouldn't be much scarring over this one.

Just had a trade offer come through on Ebay. He wanted to trade his Hot Topic variant for my EMP variant. I turned it down. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

Man this whole thing is a mess.

Feel for those that were dropping $100+ . Win some and lose some.

I doubt that many of the board sales for that amount are going through, and eBay will be a sea of buyer complaints that will effectively nullify those sales too. Unless there were some cash sales that took place face to face in that short window, there shouldn't be much scarring over this one.

Just had a trade offer come through on Ebay. He wanted to trade his Hot Topic variant for my EMP variant. I turned it down. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

I have one copy, which I'd sold but the buyer and I came to a mutually agreeable solution to dissolve the transaction. I'm fine with holding this copy to see what the market ends up dictating on it.

So apparently there is a hidden trove at a mall nearby me. Is the consensus that this variant is actually getting rarer? If so, I am going to Hot Topic for the first time since 1995.

(shrug)

There have been around 300 ebay completed/open sales on the book so far and lots of multiple sales within those listings. I think there will be demand due to the unknown quantity. My gut tells me that it will fall between 1500 and 3000 copies available but it is purely speculation on my part.

It has been fun reading about this book throughout the thread. I'm rooting for the people who paid big bucks to at least retain what they invested. (thumbs u

So apparently there is a hidden trove at a mall nearby me. Is the consensus that this variant is actually getting rarer? If so, I am going to Hot Topic for the first time since 1995.

(shrug)

There have been around 300 ebay completed/open sales on the book so far and lots of multiple sales within those listings. I think there will be demand due to the unknown quantity. My gut tells me that it will fall between 1500 and 3000 copies available but it is purely speculation on my part.

It has been fun reading about this book throughout the thread. I'm rooting for the people who paid big bucks to at least retain what they invested. (thumbs u

Well, they'll retain the book, at the very least.

Send 5 copies my way if you get them at cover. ;):baiting:

(shrug)

Do you really think 10% of the copies outstanding have been listed on eBay in one week? There are many Star Wars fans and one thing I learned when I was collecting the toys, some of them are very persistent about getting to the store daily. That is why I believe the number of copies outstanding is much higher than 3000 copies. Plus, many of the Hot Topic retail stores still have not received their copies yet. We will never truly know what the true numbers are here. But, it is clear the Hot Topic variant is not the most limited variant, that will have to be the Joe Quesada sketch variant and possibly the store exclusive sketches limited to 1500 each. I suspect we'll have better numbers from Comichron in the next week or two for the Star Wars #1 which will help figure this out.

I'm doubtful the two highest sales ($225 each) for this book will be achieved again. And some of the eBay listings will go unsold at the current prices. But, you never know with these things.

I added a trending section to my blog. The plan is to write a monthly report. I hope I captured the events of last week surrounding the Star Wars #1 Hot Topic variant properly without bias:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/p/trending.html

Well, if anything, last week was interesting.

Edited by rjrjr

I had to think about that for a second and you're probably right. I'm not your typical HT shopper (though my most recent shirt came from there :D ) at 48 years old so I don't know if they have a lot of comics buyers or not but my kids informed me that their friends buy books at HT on a regular basis. I thought most of the excitement was being generated by hardcore comics collectors and not so much pure SW guys and gals. (shrug)

this book does not need to be the "rariest" variant to be the most valuable. If this book did get recalled due spoiler of avengers savage hulk- this will be a much more sought out book than just some Star Wars variant. You won't have just Star Wars comic fans seeking it, you will have hulk and all marvel avengers fans buying up this. let me state this only applies if the book has definitely been recalled. If production continued you can through it back to $5 bin. but way more exciting than just another variant in a see of other variants in my opinion

Where is the information that some Hot Topics still have not received their shipment yet? It has already been almost 3 weeks. If stores were waiting on a shipment wouldn't it have been cancelled/sent to be pulped when the book was officially recalled? If a book goes to a 2nd print then it will be a 2nd print.

Does anyone have word from Hot Topics today? That screen shot mentioned more info on Monday.

Where is the information that some Hot Topics still have not received their shipment yet? It has already been almost 3 weeks. If stores were waiting on a shipment wouldn't it have been cancelled/sent to be pulped when the book was officially recalled? If a book goes to a 2nd print then it will be a 2nd print.

Does anyone have word from Hot Topics today? That screen shot mentioned more info on Monday.

Some people have said because of the storm back east, some of the Hot Topics stores have not gotten the comic to put out yet.

Some people have said because of the storm back east, some of the Hot Topics stores have not gotten the comic to put out yet.

Thats the story they were giving in San Antonio last week. That they had not received their copys. Which changed to we cant put them out, were sending them back and then we destroyed them. This saga has a bit of a ways until its played out completely.