• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Or maybe it's just that time of year with the holidays sapping everyone's budgets. Don't most winter auctions prove lower? Wait for tax returns to start rolling in. If BA12 still goes lower, then we're likely seeing a correction. I think we're past the stage that it would crash. It's among the top keys of the Modern Age, and I don't see that changing. It'll probably settle into a $1400-1600 range eventually in 9.8.

Winter is usually a time when prices depress a bit, especially with auctions, which is the majority of GPAs data.

In the last 30 days for 9.8s there have been two $2k+ sales (looks like one auction and one BIN) with two auction results at $1700 and one at $1900... There's only one BA12 in auction at the moment and with 2 days left it is already at $1600, so it will probably hit near the 90day GPA

In 9.6 there are a plethora of books to buy, so the price has dropped off its high point from last year, settling into the $800-50 range. Probably pressers are pushing the top end of that price for copies they think might be improvable.

I don't see a crash yet... the market seemed to dip for the 9.6s with the onslaught of copies to the market, but if you have a 9.8 you are benefiting from a lot of holders, no market inventory, and a movie about to hit which all contributes to a pretty stable price at the moment

If Star Wars 1 (1977) can crash following the most successful movie of all time, HQ material can as well.

-J.

How could you compare Star Wars 1 to BA12? Its neither a Marvel or DC creation. You could compare SW to Rom, GI Joe or Tranformers, but not Harley Quinn.

I'm just comparing it to every other alternative media hype book crash post speculative bubble which usually coincides with the release of said alternative media.

See, also most recently, Alias 1 (even Daredevil 1 corrected somewhat, but has the benefit of a kind of silver age buffer that cushioned its fall a bit).

-J.

BA12 CGC 9.8 sold for $1000 before any rumor of a SS movie, it sucked back down below 800 and I even recall a BIN on ebay for $600 I stood and looked at and then the news broke and it went 1000 city and then proceeded north. SW was a 500-600 book in 9.8 before breaking news of a movie. I saw 2500 and right back down. Likely lower. Harley will unlikely break the SW box office record, but BA12 will always hold a higher spot over SW1 any day going forward.

You may be right, but don't under estimate the similarities between the two books: Both started as alternative media, were then adapted to comic books, and then adapted back to an alternative media; both have a similar amount of graded 9.8 copies on the census (400+ now, each); both at least tripled in price almost overnight upon the speculation of a movie; both are HEAVILY speculated on; both have prior alternative media adaptations on television which did little to nothing for the values of their respective "first appearance books"; and of course last but not least neither is a true "first appearance" book.

It ultimately does not matter to me what either book ends up doing, but I do notice the patterns and the parallels and it may offer an instruction of caution for those paying attention to such things.

-J.

DC owns Harley and I would venture to say they will use her and make her more successful. Margo signed up to be Harley for 10 years. She isnt locked into the Suicide Squad. Thats not even her main role in the DC universe. She's the Jokers gal and like him or not Leto is the Joker. Regardless of the outcome of the SS movie, expect to see more Margo and Leto. :gossip: Madlove (thumbs u

New trailer doesn't bode well for Margot in the HQ role. The jokes she told didn't land with me and she doesn't even have a Brooklyn accent. How can we have HQ without her occasionally saying "mistah J"?

DC shoudve went with fran drescher instead

I could only imagine her doing her signature laugh "eh eh eh eh eh eh eh Mistah Joka". I think she has aged out of the part.

A Harley Quinn "crash" is not going to happen because people aren't going to forget about her anytime soon. A failed Suicide Squad movie MAY cause a severe decline, but that's not going to happen either. There may be an eventual decline, but the popular books will still sell well.

In my opinion.

Meaning the true Harley keys....

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

What about some of the other early Harley stuff like Mad Love, and Batman: Harley and Ivy. Not keys in the same way, by were key in establishing the character outside of her relationship with Joker.

I would say a lot of the early Harley appearances are undervalued like that Batman Gallery book that predates the Batman Harley Quinn nn. In a lot of ways she is like Deadpool in that her early appearances are now being gobbled up probably because she didn't suffer from overexposure early on.

she didn't suffer from overexposure early on

Hilarious.

She had roughly 20 appearances from her creation to 2000 as an animated character in comics

and around 6 appearances in the DC universe from her intro in the Batman Harley Quinn to 2000. She may have been popular for a multitude of reasons but as I said she did not suffer from overexposure early on.

Edited by MrWeen

A Harley Quinn "crash" is not going to happen because people aren't going to forget about her anytime soon. A failed Suicide Squad movie MAY cause a severe decline, but that's not going to happen either. There may be an eventual decline, but the popular books will still sell well.

In my opinion.

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

What about some of the other early Harley stuff like Mad Love, and Batman: Harley and Ivy. Not keys in the same way, by were key in establishing the character outside of her relationship with Joker.

I would say a lot of the early Harley appearances are undervalued like that Batman Gallery book that predates the Batman Harley Quinn nn. In a lot of ways she is like Deadpool in that her early appearances are now being gobbled up probably because she didn't suffer from overexposure early on.

Hilarious.

She had roughly 20 appearances from her creation to 2000 as an animated character in comics

and around 6 appearances in the DC universe from her intro in the Batman Harley Quinn to 2000. She may have been popular for a multitude of reasons but as I said she did not suffer from overexposure early on.

Good to know. Thank you. It means most of those early appearances (before 2000) should maintain solid value, 20 appearances in 6 or 7 years is next to nothing. Title characters are in books every month (and if you are Batman multiple books), and nobody complains. For now she is an A list character.

In my opinion.

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

Hilarious.

Good to know. Thank you. It means most of those early appearances (before 2000) should maintain solid value, 20 appearances in 6 or 7 years is next to nothing. Title characters are in books every month (and if you are Batman multiple books), and nobody complains. For now she is an A list character.

BA 12 was also reprinted via trade in 1994 and I believe the trade also has a 2nd printing. These two books are super rare and with the prices of the comicbox BA 12 reprint being what they are I wonder why these trades aren't more valuable. Maybe collectors just don't know (shrug)

In my opinion.

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

Hilarious.

BA 12 was also reprinted via trade in 1994 and I believe the trade also has a 2nd printing. These two books are super rare and with the prices of the comicbox BA 12 reprint being what they are I wonder why these trades aren't more valuable. Maybe collectors just don't know (shrug)

I see them on the bay/amazon all the time around 20-30 bucks.. The never get much "heat".. Theres a cool spanish/mexican edition with the cover of BA12 on it, but the problem with that book is that the content is NOT from BA12, just the cover.. the next issue has BA12 but a diff cover.. Weirdness

Suicide Squad 1, 6 & 7, Secret Origins #4, Harley #1 (both volumes) might be getting close to blowing up. They haven't had the bump I've expected yet, but it's close. Almost everything Harley Quinn should see an uptick. Margot Robbie seems to be the right choice for the character.

Room to grow but the window to get in is getting smaller

Hope so. I just got my Suicide Squad 1 (11/11) back from CGC at a 9.6, the now classic Batman Harley Quinn #nn 1st print at 9.8, and I have the first run HQ #1 singed by Dodson on its way back from CGC. What is it about SS #6 and #7 that get a premium?

What about the Gothem City Sirens #1?

I just looked into this now out of curiosity, since I knew had a few Sirens issues. Surprised to find out how much these are going for. I think I need to unload my first and second print of #1 and #2.

Suicide Squad 1, 6 & 7, Secret Origins #4, Harley #1 (both volumes) might be getting close to blowing up. They haven't had the bump I've expected yet, but it's close. Almost everything Harley Quinn should see an uptick. Margot Robbie seems to be the right choice for the character.

Hope so. I just got my Suicide Squad 1 (11/11) back from CGC at a 9.6, the now classic Batman Harley Quinn #nn 1st print at 9.8, and I have the first run HQ #1 singed by Dodson on its way back from CGC. What is it about SS #6 and #7 that get a premium?

I just looked into this now out of curiosity, since I knew had a few Sirens issues. Surprised to find out how much these are going for. I think I need to unload my first and second print of #1 and #2.

There is a Jones variant that sells very well as well. Its a tough find.

That one's pretty cool because it's an internal document from Valiant 1993. (thumbs u

Photocopies were made about 10 years ago, but the originals with provenance like that one are the ones that get bragging rights.

is it actually hot? or just rare and valuable? I know sometimes they're both, but sometimes they're not.

It's probably a bit of both. Valiant has been hot for a while thanks to the rare combination of quality writing/art and film announcements.

That one finished over $350 and will end up closer to $400 for the buyer... he's in Sweden. :grin:

There is a Jones variant that sells very well as well. Its a tough find.

I can second that on the Jones variant, been looking for one at a decent price and they rarely pop up, and if they do they've been higher than I want to spend.

That one's pretty cool because it's an internal document from Valiant 1993. (thumbs u

Photocopies were made about 10 years ago, but the originals with provenance like that one are the ones that get bragging rights.

is it actually hot? or just rare and valuable? I know sometimes they're both, but sometimes they're not.

It's probably a bit of both. Valiant has been hot for a while thanks to the rare combination of quality writing/art and film announcements.

That one finished over $350 and will end up closer to $400 for the buyer... he's in Sweden. :grin:

Not to mention there were another 3 or 4 I believe would have been buyers at $300.

In my opinion.

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

Hilarious.

I see them on the bay/amazon all the time around 20-30 bucks.. The never get much "heat".. Theres a cool spanish/mexican edition with the cover of BA12 on it, but the problem with that book is that the content is NOT from BA12, just the cover.. the next issue has BA12 but a diff cover.. Weirdness

image.jpg1.jpg

There are at least 6 more editions not shown here including three of the rarest being Argentina, Croatia and South Africa. As we all know, this book was not popular at it's release, so it's strange to have so many international variants, all published within a year or two of the American edition. As a foreign collector, I can tell you that this is a unusual amount of international variants for ANY book.

In my opinion.

Batman Adventures 12

Batman Harley Quinn nn

Are safe.

Hilarious.

image.jpg1.jpg

There are at least 6 more editions not shown here including three of the rarest being Argentina, Croatia and South Africa. As we all know, this book was not popular at it's release, so it's strange to have so many international variants, all published within a year or two of the American edition. As a foreign collector, I can tell you that this is a unusual amount of international variants for ANY book.

I still want to know what's in those 8 extra pages in th UK version.

This doesn't come up very often either. Surprised how little it went for.

Amazing Spider-Man #568 Negative DF Variant

Wish someone would have mentioned this guy...wait someone did.

Deadpool vs. X-Force #1 JSC Variant