• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

as an old timer it sadden me that the only action in this area seems to be variants. hard for me to arbitrage those out of the dollar box. i need something like uncharted that didn't sell well at my LCS, was dumped into the dollar box, only to become an ebay sensation a few months later.

Elf Quest the Final Quest #1.

You're welcome.

Even that has a variant. Altho i doubt youll find it in dollar bins anytime soon

Not seeing a need to thank you considering there's only a handful of sales from last month under $10 and a couple of overpriced BIN's currently up. May be a good book in the future as there are plenty of Elf Quest books in the past that have gained value, but this one isn't "heating up on Ebay" at all. Let's cue some fake sales to really get it heated!

as an old timer it sadden me that the only action in this area seems to be variants. hard for me to arbitrage those out of the dollar box. i need something like uncharted that didn't sell well at my LCS, was dumped into the dollar box, only to become an ebay sensation a few months later.

You're welcome.

Even that has a variant. Altho i doubt youll find it in dollar bins anytime soon

Not seeing a need to thank you considering there's only a handful of sales from last month under $10 and a couple of overpriced BIN's currently up. May be a good book in the future as there are plenty of Elf Quest books in the past that have gained value, but this one isn't "heating up on Ebay" at all. Let's cue some fake sales to really get it heated!

You're welcome.

Excuse me. I didn't realize a book having multiple sales at double cover in VF wasn't heating up.

Lets talk about first appearances and books that arn't heating up again.

SORRY

I used to do the same thing but people are buying very deep into 1st appearances of low level characters. I'd be surprised if anything sneaks up on anybody these days. Lots of websites dedicated to strictly speculating...which I like to do too. The thing that surprises me is that we are falling back into "cover" speculation as opposed to buying into the storytellers. This isn't the first time it happened and I doubt it will be the last. It is allowing us to buy some great stories cheap. I doubt that will last long either. As my friend Bragnet likes to say, "buy 'em where they ain't". :/

I think your friend spells his name differently...

I used to do the same thing but people are buying very deep into 1st appearances of low level characters. I'd be surprised if anything sneaks up on anybody these days. Lots of websites dedicated to strictly speculating...which I like to do too. The thing that surprises me is that we are falling back into "cover" speculation as opposed to buying into the storytellers. This isn't the first time it happened and I doubt it will be the last. It is allowing us to buy some great stories cheap. I doubt that will last long either. As my friend Bragnet likes to say, "buy 'em where they ain't". :/

I think your friend spells his name differently...

Correct. Stupid smart machines never work for me. lol

Branget. (thumbs u

Boom saw #0 sold well because of speculation and they're trying to do the same thing now.

Why would Boom second print and a marvel retailer variant have the same print run?

MMPR's sold out for everyone within days of it's release. The DEMAND was there before any speculation existed. No one saw THIS amount of interest coming. Not Midtown, Not Mile High, Not Lone Star, Not Diamond, Not the Boom, NO ONE.

Speculation didn't sell that book out at every conceivable location - DEMAND did, and the only thing it's publisher thought was "ARGH! We didn't print ENOUGH copies!'

They didn't make jack squat from any after the fact speculation nonsense. They LOST money because they didn't print enough copies for THEM to sell.

Whatever reason this book was under printed, it had nothing to do with speculation on the first one. Someone screwed up at Boom.

Is there any heat with Batman #567 ?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_567

1st Appearance of Cassandra Cain (Batgirl)

and

1st Appearance of David Cain (Villian from The League of Assassins)

Or is this a lackluster book that might be found as a hidden gem in dollar bins?

It is a consistent $15 to $20 raw book on eBay.

Boom saw #0 sold well because of speculation and they're trying to do the same thing now.

Why would Boom second print and a marvel retailer variant have the same print run?

MMPR's sold out for everyone within days of it's release. The DEMAND was there before any speculation existed. No one saw THIS amount of interest coming. Not Midtown, Not Mile High, Not Lone Star, Not Diamond, Not the Boom, NO ONE.

Speculation didn't sell that book out at every conceivable location - DEMAND did, and the only thing it's publisher thought was "ARGH! We didn't print ENOUGH copies!'

They didn't make jack squat from any after the fact speculation nonsense. They LOST money because they didn't print enough copies for THEM to sell.

Whatever reason this book was under printed, it had nothing to do with speculation on the first one. Someone screwed up at Boom.

Is it possible that under printing was better for the long term popularity of the book as well for Boom than if copies were still available?

I mean the buzz it got due to lack of supply was pretty big and with one issue I personally can't justify its because the one issue is so exceptional. I know absolutely nothing about The Power Rangers and the series has peaked my interest and it does not appear to be a series I'd normally have on my pull list.

You're welcome.

Excuse me. I didn't realize a book having multiple sales at double cover in VF wasn't heating up.

SORRY

Elfquest is one of the only books (with the exception of TMNT) that came out of the indie 70/80s wave which still sells out competitively.. Compare it to most classic indie titles and Modern ones, it still has a very strong readership. I wouldnt be surprised if anything starts to heat up with this property anytime soon, whether its movie or reboot

You're welcome.

SORRY

Yeah, I thought that was a legit reference if I could find one in a dollar box. If something from the dollar box sells for $7-$10 I am cool with that ratio. And it probably has some upside beyond that at some point if Elfquest can ever become popular again. I tried to show some from one of the 80s series to my son to see if he had any interest and he was "no thanks" and he's usually into a lot of stuff, so I dunno if it appeals to new readers or 40+ year old guys (and gals I guess) who read the original series in the 80s. I never got into it then though.

Is there any heat with Batman #567 ?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_567

1st Appearance of Cassandra Cain (Batgirl)

and

1st Appearance of David Cain (Villian from The League of Assassins)

Or is this a lackluster book that might be found as a hidden gem in dollar bins?

It is a consistent $15 to $20 raw book on eBay.

I think something like that can slip under the radaar at many shops, etc. as nothing jumps out on the cover that would make them look it up if they aren't thinking about it.

Elfquest is one of the only books (with the exception of TMNT) that came out of the indie 70/80s wave which still sells out competitively.. Compare it to most classic indie titles and Modern ones, it still has a very strong readership. I wouldnt be surprised if anything starts to heat up with this property anytime soon, whether its movie or reboot

--------

I know i can look it up myself, but does it really sell? Hasn't it been a LONG time between elfquest series? I know there is a niche that can support a title for a year plus or so every now and then, but I'm not sure what "sells out competitively" means.

with that said, i agree with you and wonder why nothing has been done with it in terms of movie/tv. it seems like a no brainer... kids will like it and middle aged parents who remember it will drag their kids there. i know they have been fussing with the idea of a movie for years. the pinnis probably want too much control.

Is it possible that under printing was better for the long term popularity of the book as well for Boom than if copies were still available?

I mean the buzz it got due to lack of supply was pretty big and with one issue I personally can't justify its because the one issue is so exceptional. I know absolutely nothing about The Power Rangers and the series has peaked my interest and it does not appear to be a series I'd normally have on my pull list.

Sell 25,000+ sure copy sales in hopes of building a bigger print through speculation?

Why would they say no to a buzz that's already there?

I just think Boom screwed up.

--------

I know i can look it up myself, but does it really sell? Hasn't it been a LONG time between elfquest series? I know there is a niche that can support a title for a year plus or so every now and then, but I'm not sure what "sells out competitively" means.

with that said, i agree with you and wonder why nothing has been done with it in terms of movie/tv. it seems like a no brainer... kids will like it and middle aged parents who remember it will drag their kids there. i know they have been fussing with the idea of a movie for years. the pinnis probably want too much control.

The series mentioned is a current ongoing series.

I guess their magic 8 ball was broken the day they made the decision.

http://comicsheatingup.net/2016/02/07/power-rangers-0-2nd-print-sold-out-and-going-back-for-a-3rd/

Ok sorry it seems that the true print run is 15,000 according to the articles. Still not bad.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's not exactly what the article says though. (shrug) It says 5,000 copies were printed and the 2nd print will be allocated. This occurs when the publisher "pre-prints" the 2nd print.

Edited by rjrjr