• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Boom saw #0 sold well because of speculation and they're trying to do the same thing now.

Why would Boom second print and a marvel retailer variant have the same print run?

MMPR's sold out for everyone within days of it's release. The DEMAND was there before any speculation existed. No one saw THIS amount of interest coming. Not Midtown, Not Mile High, Not Lone Star, Not Diamond, Not the Boom, NO ONE.

Speculation didn't sell that book out at every conceivable location - DEMAND did, and the only thing it's publisher thought was "ARGH! We didn't print ENOUGH copies!'

They didn't make jack squat from any after the fact speculation nonsense. They LOST money because they didn't print enough copies for THEM to sell.

Whatever reason this book was under printed, it had nothing to do with speculation on the first one. Someone screwed up at Boom.

Is it possible that under printing was better for the long term popularity of the book as well for Boom than if copies were still available?

I mean the buzz it got due to lack of supply was pretty big and with one issue I personally can't justify its because the one issue is so exceptional. I know absolutely nothing about The Power Rangers and the series has peaked my interest and it does not appear to be a series I'd normally have on my pull list.

Sell 25,000+ sure copy sales in hopes of building a bigger print through speculation?

Why would they say no to a buzz that's already there?

I just think Boom screwed up.

Oh I wasn't aware the series already had buzz.

Elfquest is one of the only books (with the exception of TMNT) that came out of the indie 70/80s wave which still sells out competitively.. Compare it to most classic indie titles and Modern ones, it still has a very strong readership. I wouldnt be surprised if anything starts to heat up with this property anytime soon, whether its movie or reboot

--------

I know i can look it up myself, but does it really sell? Hasn't it been a LONG time between elfquest series? I know there is a niche that can support a title for a year plus or so every now and then, but I'm not sure what "sells out competitively" means.

with that said, i agree with you and wonder why nothing has been done with it in terms of movie/tv. it seems like a no brainer... kids will like it and middle aged parents who remember it will drag their kids there. i know they have been fussing with the idea of a movie for years. the pinnis probably want too much control.

Elfquest has close to 700 sold listings on eBay

Elfquest is top 200 selling books with Graphic Novels on Amazon

This is just a title that has a strong following till this day. There are only a handful of indie titles that carry that legacy.

Definitely agree. The oversized trades and HC's sell especially well. I've also sold some of the older mini series for decent money too.

Elfquest is one of the only books (with the exception of TMNT) that came out of the indie 70/80s wave which still sells out competitively.. Compare it to most classic indie titles and Modern ones, it still has a very strong readership. I wouldnt be surprised if anything starts to heat up with this property anytime soon, whether its movie or reboot

--------

I know i can look it up myself, but does it really sell? Hasn't it been a LONG time between elfquest series? I know there is a niche that can support a title for a year plus or so every now and then, but I'm not sure what "sells out competitively" means.

with that said, i agree with you and wonder why nothing has been done with it in terms of movie/tv. it seems like a no brainer... kids will like it and middle aged parents who remember it will drag their kids there. i know they have been fussing with the idea of a movie for years. the pinnis probably want too much control.

Elfquest has close to 700 sold listings on eBay

Elfquest is top 200 selling books with Graphic Novels on Amazon

This is just a title that has a strong following till this day. There are only a handful of indie titles that carry that legacy.

Also, wasn't trying to pick on you Jimmy. It's just that the book hasn't had any sales at all this month, and the ones from last month aren't all that impressive sales wise. Books selling at double cover last month that likely won't be in a dollar bin aren't a good flip after fees. It could very well get some sales at $20+, but it hasn't yet and the ones that are jacked on Ebay aren't selling.

Boom saw #0 sold well because of speculation and they're trying to do the same thing now.

Why would Boom second print and a marvel retailer variant have the same print run?

MMPR's sold out for everyone within days of it's release. The DEMAND was there before any speculation existed. No one saw THIS amount of interest coming. Not Midtown, Not Mile High, Not Lone Star, Not Diamond, Not the Boom, NO ONE.

Speculation didn't sell that book out at every conceivable location - DEMAND did, and the only thing it's publisher thought was "ARGH! We didn't print ENOUGH copies!'

They didn't make jack squat from any after the fact speculation nonsense. They LOST money because they didn't print enough copies for THEM to sell.

Whatever reason this book was under printed, it had nothing to do with speculation on the first one. Someone screwed up at Boom.

Is it possible that under printing was better for the long term popularity of the book as well for Boom than if copies were still available?

I mean the buzz it got due to lack of supply was pretty big and with one issue I personally can't justify its because the one issue is so exceptional. I know absolutely nothing about The Power Rangers and the series has peaked my interest and it does not appear to be a series I'd normally have on my pull list.

Sell 25,000+ sure copy sales in hopes of building a bigger print through speculation?

If Boom didn't print enough, why did they sell 50 sets on their website for $100 as presale and another 40 after the book had sold out for $200?

OK, I see, somewhere around 5,700 copies a month

I don't know how publishers stay in business.

Just because they don't sell Marvel and DC numbers doesn't mean they don't make a profit. Heck, they may have better margins than the Big 2.

It costs money to put together a professional comic book. Plus they need to print it, ship it, deal with damaged copies, etc. I guess the Pinnis do a lot of the work themselves and don't have to rely on this to eat, so Darkhorse isn't paying them a salary or per page?, so yes, if Diamond gets $2 an issue from the shop, pays Darkhorse what, $1.50...

Slim if anything at all. My vague recollection from the Skullkickers guy's interview is at this level (and Skullkickers might have been more like 3000-3500 copies at that point) is that he only made money once the stuff was collected in trades and the floppies were more a labor of love.

Just because they don't sell Marvel and DC numbers doesn't mean they don't make a profit. Heck, they may have better margins than the Big 2.

It costs money to put together a professional comic book. Plus they need to print it, ship it, deal with damaged copies, etc. I guess the Pinnis do a lot of the work themselves and don't have to rely on this to eat, so Darkhorse isn't paying them a salary or per page?, so yes, if Diamond gets $2 an issue from the shop, pays Darkhorse what, $1.50...

Slim if anything at all. My vague recollection from the Skullkickers guy's interview is at this level (and Skullkickers might have been more like 3000-3500 copies at that point) is that he only made money once the stuff was collected in trades and the floppies were more a labor of love.

Netting close to 20k bucks an issue is bad? I wish I could do that!

Its RISKY for a new title because you never know when interest will go away. So most likely than not, if a new title had a strong month and the next month sales plummet - the book will most likely be cancelled. With a title with readership its a no brainer.

BTW, 5k print run doesnt indicate how popular a brand is. Do you really think that any title selling more than 15k copies a month is more popular than, say, TMNT?

PPS- if you think 5,000 copies is bad, you should look at records sales. Even in the 90s if an indie record label pressed more than 1,000 you would be considered king lol

So with all the power ranger hype i think i should mention copies of the super rare red ranger dragon armor cover have started showing up on ebay i count two bins at $199.99 alread sold last one is an auction already just over 300 any guesses what it will end at?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-0-Comicspro-Exclusive-Red-Ranger-Armor-Variant-/351657196226?nav=SEARCH

So with all the power ranger hype i think i should mention copies of the super rare red ranger dragon armor cover have started showing up on ebay i count two bins at $199.99 alread sold last one is an auction already just over 300 any guesses what it will end at?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-0-Comicspro-Exclusive-Red-Ranger-Armor-Variant-/351657196226?nav=SEARCH

There is power ranger hype? Didn't know..=

2 sold for $100 BIN each

Edited by Candletric

There is power ranger hype? Didn't know..=

The green ranger comes to comic con every year! (thumbs u

If Boom didn't print enough, why did they sell 50 sets on their website for $100 as presale and another 40 after the book had sold out for $200?

Because:

a) IF what you say happened there, they obviously didn't know ahead of time, which proves my point, they don't know what they're doing and

b) Not sure where you get your information from on website sales, but unless you can prove it, it's just opinion. Generally, most publishers don't release that type of information.

Oh I wasn't aware the series already had buzz.

Less than a week after it was released (1st print #0), it was sold out through Diamond, sold at Midtown, sold out at Mile High, sold out at DCBS, sold out everywhere. A TRUE selling out.

Not just at distribution. But at retail.

I tried even my small connections, and no one had anything that I could find.

So, yeah... it had a buzz alright. It coincided nicely with the Final Order Cut Off for #1.

Apparently, Boom had made their 2nd printings before the release (probably based upon additional orders that trickled in after FOC), but it was 10,000 copies less than what was needed.

Jimmy thinks BOOM passed on 10,000 sure sales of a 2nd print, to grow hype for the book (despite the fact that they're printing a 3rd print before the #1 comes out), and I say, no, somebody at Boom made a mistake and under valued the demand for this book.

Which makes sense, since it seems EVERYONE under valued the demand for the book.

Netting close to 20k bucks an issue is bad? I wish I could do that!

Its RISKY for a new title because you never know when interest will go away. So most likely than not, if a new title had a strong month and the next month sales plummet - the book will most likely be cancelled. With a title with readership its a no brainer.

BTW, 5k print run doesnt indicate how popular a brand is. Do you really think that any title selling more than 15k copies a month is more popular than, say, TMNT?

PPS- if you think 5,000 copies is bad, you should look at records sales. Even in the 90s if an indie record label pressed more than 1,000 you would be considered king

-----------

"Netting" does not mean what you think it does, I think.

Cover price is $3.50. At 6K copies sold to shops (I'm rounding up), that is $21,000 at the retail level --- but, of course, shops often discount, but that's irrelevant to my analysis.

How much does Diamond get on that? About 50%? So we're down to $10,500.

And what does Diamond pay Darkhorse for these? (This I don't know exactly, but it is about 10-11% of cover (exclusive of printing costs) as far as I know)

It's a business and I know they expect to make some of it back with TPBs later.

This article explains some of this very well:

http://www.jimzub.com/the-reality-of-mainstream-creator-owned-comics/

According to this, about 35 cents of a $3.50 comic will go to the publisher/creative team after printing costs.

So, about $2,100 of the above. About $100 a page for everyone involved.

How many man/woman hours gets put into making that professional looking comic between the pinnis, folks at darkhorse, the colorers, etc etc.?

Smells like we are getting very close to minimum wage here.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe each issue can get cranked out over a weekend, but I have my doubts. Not everyone is a John Byrne circa 1980 or Jack Kirby circa 1965.

Now, it's true, from the artist they'll make some money on OA sales, etc.

There are a lot of things that go into profit, it's called overhead. Until you know those breakdowns from everyone, you can't tell if they are making a profit or not.

Because:

a) IF what you say happened there, they obviously didn't know ahead of time, which proves my point, they don't know what they're doing and

b) Not sure where you get your information from on website sales, but unless you can prove it, it's just opinion. Generally, most publishers don't release that type of information.

lol

Thats how many were available http://www.boom-studios.com/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-00-bundle-goni-montes-covers.html

lol LOL lol