• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,821 posts in this topic

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Maybe, just maybe, they're trying to maintain or increase the value of the books that they already own to ensure that long term they prove to be profitable and remain sought after.

Kind of like when someone creates an artist appreciation thread and the first thing they mention is rarity and how such and such is impossible to find.

Kind of like when someone feels it necessary to make a post with a link to an available copy every time one gets listed on eBay.

But nah, value has nothing to do with it. They're just collectors.

Actually, just a few days ago Jaydogrules bought a pricey Dell'otto variant from me on ebay, not knowing that it was mine. It's a book he'd talked about on the appreciation thread and linking the sold & current listings didn't help him any. So that theory's out the window

I think you missed the part where I wrote "long term"

Man, I miss the good ol' days when this thread actually had relevant info and discussions.

:preach:

As usual, if one does not care about the current track on which the thread is running a simple book suggestion that is on topic will quickly return the thread to its appropriate course.

But then again it could be argued that incentive variant print runs are very much thread related and challenging the validity of supplied "estimated" print runs is probably a wise thing to do...

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Maybe, just maybe, they're trying to maintain or increase the value of the books that they already own to ensure that long term they prove to be profitable and remain sought after.

Kind of like when someone creates an artist appreciation thread and the first thing they mention is rarity and how such and such is impossible to find.

Kind of like when someone feels it necessary to make a post with a link to an available copy every time one gets listed on eBay.

But nah, value has nothing to do with it. They're just collectors.

Actually, just a few days ago Jaydogrules bought a pricey Dell'otto variant from me on ebay, not knowing that it was mine. It's a book he'd talked about on the appreciation thread and linking the sold & current listings didn't help him any. So that theory's out the window

Please don't say it was the X-23 variant because he just called that one the hottest one like five hours ago.

:P

:facepalm:

Does anyone think that Black Mask books will stop dropping in price because they finally started distributing again?

This is the second reference to this I've read. Can anyone fill me in on the "started distributing again" part? This label intrigues me being a Brett Gurewitz project and I'm apparently out of the loop

Does anyone think that Black Mask books will stop dropping in price because they finally started distributing again?

This is the second reference to this I've read. Can anyone fill me in on the "started distributing again" part? This label intrigues me being a Brett Gurewitz project and I'm apparently out of the loop

They had some legal issues and haven't released a book in months

Let's talk about books that are heating up shall we? :applause:

:roflmao:

Extraordinary X-Men #8 SOLD OUT in shop.

Re-order coming Friday.

New Lost in Space #1 doing great.

Weird indy book Tommy doing $$ online.

Haunted Mansion #1 $50 for all four covers.

Back to your squabble....

Chuck...

TON of time on your hands for a Wednesday....

I was at Midtoen Comics just a couple of hours ago and they had stacks of them still. Is this going to be a flash in the pan or does anyone think there's some staying power. Should I go back and grab some?

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

Yeah maybe I'll take the time to find where I read that and maybe I won't.

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

Or are you now disagreeing just for the sake of doing so? lol

-J.

You've been caught in a lie.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Grow up man. I didn't "lie" about anything.

And what market am I trying to "manipulate".

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

So if anyone is trying to "manipulate" anything it is you my man.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

J- seems to agree with Mile High's Chuck, sort of

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg03.html

and Mark Waid has something to say about distribution and print run, sort of

http://markwaid.com/digital/print-math/

but the biggest lesson is that most internet articles mentioning print run COMMONLY use distribution #'s and print run interchangeably. And that's too bad, because its not accurate. On the other hand, they're mostly internet bloggers rather than WSJ journalists.

Thanks for digging these up.

I guess Mile High Chuck is "lying" too. lol

Apologies for the threadkrap gents.

-J.

That first article is about Marvel's printing policy (about 10 years ago) when they didn't overprint what retailers ordered. This was done to get retailers to increase their initial orders because Marvel was basically telling them they would not be able to order more of the 1st prints. If I recall, this was during their lean years when they were starting to produce Movies (pre-Disney) and were tightening their belt.

That has since changed and Marvel has been overprinting for quite a few years now.

I'm not entirely sure if that is applicable to the discussion since this is not the policy Marvel follows anymore.

-J.

Where was this????

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

-J.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

but the biggest lesson is that most internet articles mentioning print run COMMONLY use distribution #'s and print run interchangeably. And that's too bad, because its not accurate. On the other hand, they're mostly internet bloggers rather than WSJ journalists.

-J.

:gossip: He wrote that in 2001. lol

lol

lol

Thanks for confirming what I had suspected. Marvel hasn't followed that no overprinting policy for quite some time now. At the time this article was written, Marvel was not as healthy financially as it is now.

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

-J.

-J.

:gossip: He wrote that in 2001. lol

lol

lol

And??

You're saying that the market has improved markedly since then to the point that publishers now over print books that were not ordered and that they have no intention of selling , be they variants or otherwise ?

Because you do know that is essentially what you are saying when you pop off with your tired drivel, don't you ?

And do you realize how you sound when saying things such as that ?

Evidently not.

-J.

J. Marvel does overprint now. Retailers are able to reorder books until they sell out at Diamond whereas when this article was written, Marvel was going through some financial tightening and they had a very strict print to order rule. If I recall, they were using this as an incentive for retailers to increase their initial orders.

Marvel obviously will overprint on books they know will see reorders after the initial order date. I'm sure they overprint on Star Wars books, for example, because you can read about the top reorders on some of the comic sites for a given week and the Star Wars books are always at the top these days.

Also, the publisher has every intention of selling these books they overprint. They do it when they feel the retailers were wrong on their orders, when they have a "surprise" in a particular issue that they know will garner attention and more sales, etc. I suspect their bean counters have a good idea of how many books to overprint.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with variant covers however. I'm just talking about the standard covers.

Edited by rjrjr

Time will show all of you fools collecting over-priced variants will be left holding the bag . . . more likely sooner than later. :grin:

I don't begrudge anyone for collecting what they like. I know I make foolish purchases all the time. Just buying comics, forget variants, kinda falls into that category IMHO. :) I don't collect for the value, I collect because I want them all. :)

Buy what you like and you can't go wrong. Otherwise, you'll find yourself sitting on a pile of worthless paper that will be hard to get rid of someday. (thumbs u

Edited by rjrjr