• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,861 posts in this topic

I think marvel did some rounding on this reboot and I dont think retailers took the bait, hence the sale. I didn't see any 667's in the sale. If anything the damage replacement percentage and rounding to the nearest case pack size are proven by the clearance sale?

I think marvel did some rounding on this reboot and I dont think retailers took the bait, hence the sale. I didn't see any 667's in the sale. If anything the damage replacement percentage and rounding to the nearest case pack size are proven by the clearance sale?

Are there any good variants that are part of the sale? Meaning anything of value in today's market? Sucks that there are no 667s lol.

Just an amateur observer on hipstering cultures, but also I guess very technically from LA. I've lived in LA twice, each time for 5 years (although the first time was ages 0-5).

I am impressed with your hipster knowledge. lol

Just an amateur observer on hipstering cultures, but also I guess very technically from LA. I've lived in LA twice, each time for 5 years (although the first time was ages 0-5).

Lets just say my wife and I went to Portland for our 2nd Anniversary, mostly for food trucks, coffee, and also ended up buying some sweet sweet tax free flannel. And ate some artisinal bacon and ice cream.

ON a related hipster note for those who don't know, it has become VERY popular in San Francisco for the men to be thinner than their gf/wife. I don't think this trend has caught on in most other hipster hubs yet, and its been going in SF for a couple years.

Lets just say my wife and I went to Portland for our 2nd Anniversary, mostly for food trucks, coffee, and also ended up buying some sweet sweet tax free flannel. And ate some artisinal bacon and ice cream.

ON a related hipster note for those who don't know, it has become VERY popular in San Francisco for the men to be thinner than their gf/wife. I don't think this trend has caught on in most other hipster hubs yet, and its been going in SF for a couple years.

wow. :roflmao:

Edited by jreezy

lol funny you mention Brooklyn. I live in a Los Angeles neighborhood that has been dubbed the west coast version of Brooklyn . I live amongst these hipsters . Oh god, am I one ? Hipsters don't care about comics right ? lol

You do? Which one? Los Feliz? Silverlake? Westwood?

If I were to move to the east coast, seems like Brooklyn will be the only place I would fit in. lol

Are you from Socal?

Are you a skinny guy with a beard? Do you wear cuffed skinny jeans? Do you always seem to be wearing a hat? If so, you will fit in just fine.

Hurumph, I pointed this out 16 pages ago!! (As a fat guy with a beard I am acutely aware of all these waifish guys with beards. Not to mention, I live near an orthodox jewish neighborhood and on the edge of a pretty religious pakistani neighborhood, so there are a lot of frigging beards here.)

Edited by the blob

Some rounding?

There are 700 different titles on this new list...

Marvel gave away 300 copies of the Spider-Gwen WOP variant today without a second thought.

Where'd those come from? Was that book a 'rounding up'?

You don't have a fire sale with a few scraps left over... you have it when you got a chit ton of stuff you didn't move.

Print runs I agree with your posts. As for retailer incentive variants they are ALMOST always the original books case pack size. How they round them or their exact numbers I could not tell you.

lol

Do you know what a Marvel 'pallet sale' is?

Every so often Marvel offers retailers, through Diamond, the opportunity to buy Bulk Pallet's of their trade paperbacks, 2000 books for a special price - AND at an even better price if you buy 5 or MORE PALLETS.

These are overstock. On books that retail at $19.99 and up.

In PALLET quantities.

If they can do that with $20+ books, they can do it with comic books.

No one has shown ANY proof, that Marvel rounds up to the nearest case on variants.

There's NO proof.

It's an unfounded theory.

And yet here, is another example, of Marvel over ordering on product.

I think marvel did some rounding on this reboot and I dont think retailers took the bait, hence the sale....

And see... this does't make sense, because AFTER final order cut off....retailers CAN'T order anymore of the variants.

At Final Order Cut Off, Marvel knows EXACTLY how many they need. No other orders can be placed.

There's no reason for them to over order.

Print runs I agree with your posts. As for retailer incentive variants they are ALMOST always the original books case pack size. How they round them or their exact numbers I could not tell you.

lol

Every so often Marvel offers retailers, through Diamond, the opportunity to buy Bulk Pallet's of their trade paperbacks, 2000 books for a special price - AND at an even better price if you buy 5 or MORE PALLETS.

In PALLET quantities.

No one has shown ANY proof, that Marvel rounds up to the nearest case on variants.

There's NO proof.

Where did the theory that Marvel rounds to case amounts on variants come from?

Yes, but rounding would only account for, what, 50 copies? 100 copies? 150? How could Diamond advertise a nationwide retailer sale with only 50 copies on hand? Sure, they COULD, and maybe even have...but it seems like a bit of a waste of time.

I have dozens of copies of New Avengers (2005) #4, #5, and #6 ratio'd retailer incentive variants. Dozens of them. I bought them from Wizard, when Wizard divested itself of its inventory in 2007. Now, someone correct me if these figures are a bit off, but as I understand it, the New Avengers variants started with 1:20 (the Spidey cover), then 1:19, 1:18, etc.

How did Wizard manage to obtain hundreds of copies of those "retailer incentives", when they certainly weren't buying thousands of the regular issues...?

I assure you, if anyone thinks of "rounding", it is only as a matter of accounting in passing. They don't spend much time on such issues. Remember: Marvel has always printed hundreds of extra copies, which is accounted for in the "copies not distributed" section of the Statement of Ownership, for office use, freebies, comp copies (for creators), etc.

And look at the SOOs themselves. The SOO for New X-Men for 2002 had the following number for "copies printed for the issue closest to filing date" 154,742. That's for a single issue, not an average, New Mutants #99 lists a print run of 318,102 for its "issue nearest to the filing date" (#94? #95? #96?)

The SOOs are littered with odd numbers, all over the place, none of which can be accounted as "case" quantities.

So what gives...?

Do they REALLY round up "to the case"..?

hm

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

And where is the proof of anything you're saying Chuck ?

You are generalizing your own biased opinions into "facts".

Why exactly are you doing that ? It is not making you look very good IMO.

By the way just talked to one of my LCS' and asked if I could come by and look over the variant offerings.

His response to me was: "Why? It's just a bunch of that nobody ordered."

Touche.

He also echoed the bleeding cool article, that it is predominately star wars related with a mix in of ANAD variants some of which are (but not remotely "all") are RI variants- but again, the ones that nobody ordered. This would be consistent with marvel printing up to the nearest case, even if only handful of retailers actually order the more obscure variants after qualifying, that would naturally leave an excess inventory of dreck that we see being offered.

Basically what Paul said.

But I guess he's another dummy who doesn't know what he's talking about either, right ?

Ugh. :eyeroll:

-J.

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

Jay, of course.

Funny, how all three of us came up with the same thought.

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

By the way just talked to one of my LCS' and asked if I could come by and look over the variant offerings.

Touche.

He also echoed the bleeding cool article, that it is predominately star wars related with a mix in of ANAD variants some of which are (but not remotely "all") are RI variants- but again, the ones that nobody ordered. This would be consistent with marvel printing up to the nearest case, even if only handful of retailers actually order the more obscure variants after qualifying, that would naturally leave an excess inventory of dreck that we see being offered.

But I guess he's another dummy who doesn't know what he's talking about either, right ?

-J.

Answer the question, Jay:

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

Where? "On the record" means it's publicly available, for all to see.

Where is it? Just post it here, or a link, or something.

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

Jay, of course.

lol Don't be a clown.

It came from a Diamond account holder. One who doesn't have a preposterous agenda to advance.

But yeah, you're right. The idea that publishers regularly over print variants that no one ordered just so they can store cases and cases of single copies of them in a warehouse and sell them off at half cover price is a much more likely scenario. (thumbs u

-J.

Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

I beat you with one comic!

You have ZERO to show in your defense!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

You have nothing. You have zero proof. You have nothing.

I'm done toying with you, boy. It's not even a debate.

Because you have nothing.

[quote=Chuck

Gower]Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Are you really a business owner?

Ive been to his store I can assure he is.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

[quote=Chuck

Gower]Why? You have NOTHING to show.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Ha ha!

lol

Dude are you for real ?

-J.

Are you really a business owner?

Ive been to his store I can assure he is.

Frankly I was wondering the same.

Though that was obviously a rhetorical question based on his extreme conduct on these boards.

But I gather you knew that already. :foryou:

-J.

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

He's challenging you, and any claims he has made have been backed up with evidence.

...says Jay to anyone who challenges him, without offering even an attempt to demonstrate how.

So? Why does how "Chuck looks" matter? Is what he's saying accurate, or is it not? That's all that matters. Why do you absolutely INSIST on making personal commentary that is unrelated to the discussion?

The answer is because you're hoping to fool those who don't, or can't, use critical thinking into dismissing what Chuck says, not on its merits, but because you try to paint Chuck, as you try to paint everyone who disagrees with you, as someone whose opinions aren't worth consideration, because they "don't look good."

Emotional, irrational, juvenile, jr. high school girl tactics.

Touche.

You mean, Diamond is offering 50-150 copies of a retailer incentive in a nationwide sale...?

Because those are the "case numbers" you're talking about, here.

And, of course, the "rounding to the case" still doesn't have anything to do with the print run.

It's jaw dropping how easily put words in other people's mouths, and then decry those words, as if those people actually said it. Just jaw-dropping.

-J.

Ugh is right.

lol

In PALLET quantities.

There's NO proof.

Jay, of course.

lol Don't be a clown.

It came from a Diamond account holder. One who doesn't have a preposterous agenda to advance.

Who?

But yeah, you're right. The idea that publishers regularly over print variants that no one ordered just so they can store cases and cases of single copies of them in a warehouse and sell them off at half cover price is a much more likely scenario. (thumbs u

-J.

You DO REALIZE that publishers sell pretty much EVERYTHING at around half cover price....right? That the standard discount to Diamond has generally been 60% for many years....

You DO know that....right?