• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,791 posts in this topic

I have always been interested in the Hulk. He would be considered my favorite. I would be most interested in just having a nice collection to hang my hat on.

Very new to this, but I am looking to start a collection. Does anyone have any suggestions on some comics that I should purchase right now that may gain value into the future. Thanks for your time, John

Are you looking for resale? Are you reading the books? Are you just looking to speculate?

You need to be a little more clear on what your goals are. It would help us advise you better.

Edited by Wolfpack33

Thanks Revat, as usual you offer a concise and we'll rounded take on matters.

As to those who continue to ask where the information that (at least Marvel) as a rule of thumb prints its variants to the nearest case, as close to the ordered RI, well that came from Chuck (and it has been echoed by other diamond account holders):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=7

(shrug)

-J.

I was hoping this link would help. It doesn't. It simply links to another thread where you state you've spoken to several Diamond account holders who say Marvel prints variants up to case amount. (shrug)

Very new to this, but I am looking to start a collection. Does anyone have any suggestions on some comics that I should purchase right now that may gain value into the future. Thanks for your time, John

Are you looking for resale? Are you reading the books? Are you just looking to speculate?

You need to be a little more clear on what your goals are. It would help us advise you better.

I would be able to give you the best info if I had your bank account info and social security number.

Perhaps a blood sample as well...

I'm sure everyone agrees that they round up to the nearest 'something', whether its pallet, case, nearest hundred, nearest thousand, whatever, its something. The real issue here is how to determine WHAT THEY ARE ROUNDING FROM.

And that's where we don't seem to have enough information.

No one is saying EVERY variant is grossly over order-printed compared to their distribution ratios. I don't think that's the case, and I don't think anyone thinks that's the case. BUT at the same time, clearly there are instances where SOME variants are grossly overprinted relative to their incentive ratios, and we don't know how or why that occurs or to what extent, and to be honest, the reasons probably vary from comic to comic and issue to issue.

(thumbs u

It's all guesswork. It makes sense that an overage is printed for all the books to account for damages, etc. But, how much? And why are there instances where it's so much that significant numbers show up, like the ASM 4 and the books re offered as Diamond special offers?

Tough to get a grasp.

As to those who continue to ask where the information that (at least Marvel) as a rule of thumb prints its variants to the nearest case, as close to the ordered RI, well that came from Chuck (and it has been echoed by other diamond account holders):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9141896&fpart=7

(shrug)

-J.

I was hoping this link would help. It doesn't. It simply links to another thread where you state you've spoken to several Diamond account holders who say Marvel prints variants up to case amount. (shrug)

...and Chuck said it as well. Here you go:

DC prints their variants EXCLUSIVELY outside of Diamond's knowledge, and Diamond places an order for how many they need of a variant through them, for and when they need them. Through this program, DC still has non-incentive variants available through Diamond for books that are over a year old. As shown previously, they obviously have some incentive variants, though not-available for re-order, still around as well. The publisher's are the one's who make them available at the Retailer Summitt's and events.

Marvel is much more secretive, but have somewhat tightened up their print runs for most variants, especially after the massive overstock that had to be sold off in 2013.

Or so it seemed...

They recently have come under criticism for Star Wars Variants and Action Figure Variants that have suddenly appeared directly from them, much after the fact. This mysterious additional glut of product has led to them to take a hard line PR stance that variants are printed to order and rounded up to the case pack size.

And in my research, if you've ever wondered who actually reads these forums, let me just say: I love Marvel Comics! I love DC Comics! I love Image Comics! I love Valiant Comics! I love Diamond Distribution!

I don't care HOW you guys do your variants, I just want to sell as much at the retail level as I possibly can!

-J.

(shrug)

-J.

DC prints their variants EXCLUSIVELY outside of Diamond's knowledge, and Diamond places an order for how many they need of a variant through them, for and when they need them. Through this program, DC still has non-incentive variants available through Diamond for books that are over a year old. As shown previously, they obviously have some incentive variants, though not-available for re-order, still around as well. The publisher's are the one's who make them available at the Retailer Summitt's and events.

Marvel is much more secretive, but have somewhat tightened up their print runs for most variants, especially after the massive overstock that had to be sold off in 2013.

Or so it seemed...

They recently have come under criticism for Star Wars Variants and Action Figure Variants that have suddenly appeared directly from them, much after the fact. This mysterious additional glut of product has led to them to take a hard line PR stance that variants are printed to order and rounded up to the case pack size.

And in my research, if you've ever wondered who actually reads these forums, let me just say: I love Marvel Comics! I love DC Comics! I love Image Comics! I love Valiant Comics! I love Diamond Distribution!

I don't care HOW you guys do your variants, I just want to sell as much at the retail level as I possibly can!

-J.

It sounds like Chuck is being a bit more cynical about the whole process, but, ok, that works for me. I can go with 'Marvel and DC have taken a hard line PR stance that books are printed (rounded) up to case amounts'.

It still leaves some head scratching to be done about the examples I noted above, in response to Revat. hm

I asked a friend who recently opened a store and is a new diamond account holder. He confirmed the information chuck has shared about being able to order variants at cover price

Under cover.... :cool:

my apologies, yeah $2 each for many of them.

Buy comics you like. Be it for the story or the art . If they end up being valuable some day well thats just an added bonus .

Dont buy into the hype you see here about comics and their value. Whats hot and Valuable today might not be so tomorrow .

(shrug)

-J.

Or so it seemed...

-J.

Wait I don't understand...PR stances are always the truth?

Here I was thinking OJ was most likely guilty, but his PR stance was that he was innocent. I must have been wrong :sorry:

More Marvel variants (over 700 different variants according to the article) are being discounted for retailers:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/17/david-gabriel-the-prince-of-variants/

I wonder which comics are included in this?

This is the part I'm most interested in:

"... including many that were previously restricted for sale."

Man, I hope this included that Star Wars 1 of 5000 they put out...

Considering that star wars 1 alone had 100+ different variant covers (and most of the books going up for sale look to be non-RI, star wars related overstock) I don't think this is as significant as a few would like to think that it is. (thumbs u

-J.

Star Wars #1 didn't have 100+ retailer variants. Star Wars had way more store exclusives. There were less than 20 retailer variants for Star Wars #1. Store exclusives are not part of this deal. So, less Star Wars variants than you think.

Could you imagine if Marvel offered any store exclusive to every retailer at a discount? That would kill their store exclusive program pretty quick.

Edited by rjrjr

Getting back to an earlier post,

I'm surprised to see Spider-man/Deadpool #1 regular doing so well at $15.

Would have thought it was WAY overproduced and too recent.

Patrick

The gamestop variant is doing really well also started high and holding well i seen a graded copy show up but idk what happened to it

I have always been interested in the Hulk. He would be considered my favorite. I would be most interested in just having a nice collection to hang my hat on.

Whether trying to build a nice collection or getting books before they get too high for you to afford, I would learn/look up what the key Hulk books are. That way you can buy first appearances you like, the best looking covers, etc. I honestly don't know much about Hulk books except #181, which is the first appearance of Wolverine. lol

Patrick

The gamestop variant is doing really well also started high and holding well i seen a graded copy show up but idk what happened to it

Yea, hindsight it was dumb to not preorder a bunch, but I had the same thought that dealers would go heavy on them.

The GameStop is a different animal. I don't know of any others that have held value. If you do the math on what you have to spend to get enough points for one its a pricey book.

More Marvel variants (over 700 different variants according to the article) are being discounted for retailers:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/17/david-gabriel-the-prince-of-variants/

I wonder which comics are included in this?

This is the part I'm most interested in:

"... including many that were previously restricted for sale."

Man, I hope this included that Star Wars 1 of 5000 they put out...

Considering that star wars 1 alone had 100+ different variant covers (and most of the books going up for sale look to be non-RI, star wars related overstock) I don't think this is as significant as a few would like to think that it is. (thumbs u

-J.

Star Wars #1 didn't have 100+ retailer variants. Star Wars had way more store exclusives. There were less than 20 retailer variants for Star Wars #1. Store exclusives are not part of this deal. So, less Star Wars variants than you think.

Could you imagine if Marvel offered any store exclusive to every retailer at a discount? That would kill their store exclusive program pretty quick.

Yes, once again Jay is making statements about something he doesn't know anything about... or even have access to, in order to be able to make factual statements about.

Whereas the Star Wars and Star Wars related variants make up 45% of the 73 books on the list, HALF of those books are non-#1's and almost 40% of them ARE retailer incentive variants, including a 1:50 and a 1:100.

Sorry... there are no 1:5000's. I'm sure if they had any of those left, they went to people who knew somebody or whatever.... Mark Hamill probably got one.

I like the long term prospects of Spider-Man / Deadpool and Batman / TMNT.

SM / DP orders dropped by nearly half from #1 to #2.

Bat / TMNT orders dropped by over half from #1 to #2 and then rose slightly for #3.

The unknown is how sought after they will be when the TPBs are released.

Patrick

Yea, hindsight it was dumb to not preorder a bunch, but I had the same thought that dealers would go heavy on them.

The GameStop is a different animal. I don't know of any others that have held value. If you do the math on what you have to spend to get enough points for one its a pricey book.

Am I reading it wrong or are there 6,000+ Gamestop locations?

I "do" know they have most of these variants on lockdowm.

I tried to bribe a manager that comes in for some type of regular trade deal.

He said they don't get many of each.

Patrick

I never even knew about the GameStop variants until I just went to look one day. I had about 12,000 points saved up that I had never used, and it just happened to be when they were releasing the ASM #1 variant. I got one and sold it for $275 before it came out.

I just checked again, but I only have 7,250 points. I see what you're saying about how much one would have to spend in order to get enough points to purchase one of the variants, though. I also don't think they would keep up too much value. Just look at the ASM #1s now...