• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

WOW !! Did Skottie Young die or something...??

Perish the thought.

He's pretty active on his website. I want that Old Man Logan & X-23 sketch. :)

http://skottieyoung.com/

I like his art on this website more then his covers.

I will admit that the Moon Knight cover is adorable.

Might be on the best Young covers I have seen.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Perish the thought.

I think the fact that marvel used him for a variant for every book for like 5 years turned off a lot of collectors, but there are still a few gems out there. Love the Infintiy Gauntlet cover

167560.jpg.db33de1c5895afa2208a9d8e2b9d3427.jpg

Curious, why? Was it featured/discussed on a website or forum somewhere?

I am stymied as well.

I have no idea why. I was just browsing for books and noticed it. (shrug)

It is good to know, better to know and know why as well. No big deal though, maybe someone will come along with the info.

Perish the thought.

I think the fact that marvel used him for a variant for every book for like 5 years turned off a lot of collectors, but there are still a few gems out there. Love the Infintiy Gauntlet cover

He mostly does the baby covers for #1s. Marvel just happens to release tons of #1s.

In any case, I don't mind so much given I can get most of his new baby variants for 15% off cover price at Midtown instead of more expensive 1:x ratio variants. I enjoy most of his baby covers especially when they tell their own story or when there's satire. The team mash-ups are super fun, too. I still have plenty of gaps in my collection so hoping his variants don't drastically increase in price before I get all the ones I like. :wishluck:

1220812_ful.jpg1240488_ful.jpg1532563_ful.jpg1421991_ful.jpg1286275_ful.jpg1532561_ful.jpg

lol, that arrow on Hulk's head. :D

Monstress 1-9 + 1 3rd Print $130

Works out to $13 each plus $1 each for shipping. Books are creeping back up.

#1 1st Printing will always be tough in 9.8. Every book has bindery tears, and only a few had NCB stress, many were bad color break over 1/4"

bindery tears won't keep a book from a 9.8.

I am stymied as well.

I've know about this for a while and from my LCS, it's because it was a pain to qualify for, making it....wait for it....rare... and moon knight

I am stymied as well.

I've know about this for a while and from my LCS, it's because it was a pain to qualify for, making it....wait for it....rare... and moon knight

All the Skottie Young variants are a pain to qualify for. They usually require something like cover A orders of 100-150% of *insert tangentially related comic released 2-6 months ago here*. You can order as many as you want once you qualify, though.

Even DCBS doesn't bother with most Skottie Young variants. Midtown seems to order a whole bunch though. (shrug)

I am stymied as well.

All the Skottie Young variants are a pain to qualify for. They usually require something like cover A orders of 100-150% of *insert tangentially related comic released 2-6 months ago here*. You can order as many as you want once you qualify, though.

Even DCBS doesn't bother with most Skottie Young variants. Midtown seems to order a whole bunch though. (shrug)

DCBS has given up on ordering a lot of variants. They are not offering the Star Wars 40th anniversary variants for example. There are plenty of copies out there, just not from DCBS.

DCBS has given up on ordering a lot of variants. They are not offering the Star Wars 40th anniversary variants for example. There are plenty of copies out there, just not from DCBS.

That's because the Star Wars 40th anniversary, Hip Hop, Action Figure and most other themed variants (e.g. Jusko Corner Box, Venomized, Gwenpool) have similar ordering requirements as the Skottie Young variants.

Sometimes, meeting the target is easier for a smaller store.

e.g. You need to order Comic X Cvr A in a quantity of 125% of older Comic Y. If you only ordered 5 copies of Comic Y, then getting 6 copies of Comic X Cvr A qualifies the store to order as many copies of the variant as they want. If you ordered 1000 copies of Comic Y, though, probably harder/riskier to order 1,250 copies of Comic X Cvr A.

DCBS still carries the incentive variants. Likely 'cause it's far easier to calculate if you qualify for a ratio variant and how much you need to price them to make your target profit margin than having to look up a number of old orders trying to see if your Cover A orders are large enough to qualify for themed variants.

Difference between DCBS and Midtown is DCBS's online store is strictly Previews preorder only. Meanwhile, if Midtown buys extra copies of Cover A to qualify for themed variants, they've got 3 retail stores and a regular online store to sell the excess copies.

Its hard to describe, but essentially higher grades copies of Monstress 1 will be tough finds. I have had about 15 copies all together and had 2 NM+ copies. The paper quality was just odd to say the least. Because its a larger book I am sure that had an effect as well.

I had a hand-picked easy 9.6/9.8 sent in for slabbing. Came back 9.4 with a bc cb crease that wasn't there when I sent it in. Yeah, cover paper quality is like crepe paper. Very delicate.

I'm not saying it was probably damaged during grading, but it was probably damaged during grading.