• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

I'm fine not seeing it again, I think it looks awful.

what's wrong with the cover? when you see something that looks like street graffiti does it makes you angry and just can't look at it?

Doesn't do anything for me either - boring, static cover. Reminds me of Sad Keanu.

what's wrong with the cover? when you see something that looks like street graffiti does it makes you angry and just can't look at it?

Doesn't do anything for me either - boring, static cover. Reminds me of Sad Keanu.

Really? A sinister, sunglasses adorn Punisher, yet still conspicuously out of his typical dark, NY element, against a quintessential LA backdrop that is actually a slick take-off on the plot within.

I notice you have a consistent pattern of only negativity. Is there anything that you do like about anything at all in modern comics or characters? (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Easier for me to find another :acclaim:

been mentioned here before by someone :whistle:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9359645Post9359645

Interesting, sold mine for a healthy profit that same month. Maybe it was your bump that helped!

Really? A sinister, sunglasses adorn Punisher against a quintessential LA backdrop that is actually reflective of the plot within.

I notice you have a consistent pattern of only negativity. Is there anything that you do like about anything at all in modern comics or characters? (shrug)

-J.

Sorry I don't like your comic book cover :(

Really? A sinister, sunglasses adorn Punisher against a quintessential LA backdrop that is actually reflective of the plot within.

-J.

PUNISHER

Re2idh_c.jpg

-J.

Wasn't the question. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

I've decided to ignore your BS when you direct it at me in personal attacks - it's orders of magnitude harder to dismiss BS than it is to spew it, so I pick my battles.

-J.

-J.

I've decided to ignore your BS when you direct it at me in personal attacks - it's orders of magnitude harder to dismiss BS than it is to spew it, so I pick my battles.

If asking you what your personal likes are constitutes a "personal attack", then so be it. You're free to post as you like, though I honestly don't see how any joy can be derived in this hobby (that is supposed to be nonsensical and fun, they are only comics after all), if all one does is post about things they don't own and don't like. 2c

-J.

I notice you have a consistent pattern of only negativity.

If asking you what your personal likes are constitutes a "personal attack", then so be it. You're free to post as you like, though I honestly don't see how any joy can be derived in this hobby (that is supposed to be nonsensical and fun, they are only comics after all), if all one does is post about things they don't own and don't like. 2c

hm

-J.

-J.

I generally don't like Opena's drawing of most characters. I appreciate that he has a style and specific look he's going for, and I think its executed well usually, it just doesn't appeal to my aesthetic preferences. I like the idea for this cover, but Opena's Punisher is just not appealing to me, and the juxtaposition against that back drop actually highlights the things I don't like about the way he draws characters. For this cover, I just look and think "I would have preferred Tim Bradstreet doing the Punisher"

On a related note, there's a million more comics out today and million more working artists. This means that people's very specific tastes are often catered to more, so people can generally find and enjoy specific art that they enjoy relatively easily. A consequence of the glut of choices that we have is that we can be and often are more critical of more things that do not appeal to us, simply because there are more things to be critical of, and more choices that we prefer (why would I waste my time with this thing I don't like when I could be spending my time with something I like?).

There's additional added effect when something unappealing is (for whatever reason) very valuable. If it was just another cover on the shelf as I walk by, my eye might be drawn to the bright color, then I'd look closer and say 'meh'. But for a $500 comic, I think that cover is 'awful' because I wouldn't even pay $4 it.

Same with that Vader Down super rare one. For $4, I might think its kind of cute or niche. But for $500, I think its a travesty.

-J.

-J.

I generally don't like Opena's drawing of most characters. I appreciate that he has a style and specific look he's going for, and I think its executed well usually, it just doesn't appeal to my aesthetic preferences. I like the idea for this cover, but Opena's Punisher is just not appealing to me, and the juxtaposition against that back drop actually highlights the things I don't like about the way he draws characters. For this cover, I just look and think "I would have preferred Tim Bradstreet doing the Punisher"

On a related note, there's a million more comics out today and million more working artists. This means that people's very specific tastes are often catered to more, so people can generally find and enjoy specific art that they enjoy relatively easily. A consequence of the glut of choices that we have is that we can be and often are more critical of more things that do not appeal to us, simply because there are more things to be critical of, and more choices that we prefer (why would I waste my time with this thing I don't like when I could be spending my time with something I like?).

There's additional added effect when something unappealing is (for whatever reason) very valuable. If it was just another cover on the shelf as I walk by, my eye might be drawn to the bright color, then I'd look closer and say 'meh'. But for a $500 comic, I think that cover is 'awful' because I wouldn't even pay $4 it.

Same with that Vader Down super rare one. For $4, I might think its kind of cute or niche. But for $500, I think its a travesty.

I'm usually most drawn to well rendered, new, and/or interesting and clever takes on my favourite characters. This one hits that sweet spot, and the fact it's an Opena and there's so few of them out there is the nail in my collector's coffin. :cloud9:

-J.

-J.

-J.

I'm usually most drawn to well rendered, new, and/or interesting and clever takes on my favourite characters. This one hits that sweet spot, and the fact it's an Opena and there's so few of them out there is the nail in my collector's coffin. :cloud9:

-J.

I fully understand that sentiment. Its two sides of the same coin. The rarity of cover you already have an affinity for makes the dish even tastier. The expense of a cover I already have a distaste for makes it even more sour to me.

I'd really love to own the Jim Lee variant to no.3. I've been keeping myself from paying that sort of money for it though. A couple months ago I saw one go ffor around $48 on an eBay auction. I meant to post it, anyone else see that one? I even held back from throwing a snipe in, thinking it would bump up fifty bucks anyway. But it didn't. Now they're over $100 all day.

I've got too many other wants that $100 would go great towards, but man...that cover really does get me drooling.

All this modern variant cover explosion reminds me of the 90's Valiant books

that were selling for triple digits within weeks of release and then crashed so hard that

it made Russian toilet paper look more appealing.

Sure, some Valiant stuff rose in price again recently due to speculation with Sony

possibly making Valiant related movies but, boy oh boy....

Will history repeat itself? It's very likely because you need mass awareness & wanting

to drive continued demand and niche markets rarely, if ever, do that.

-J.

Why would the Punisher be sitting on a park bench in front of graffiti with his name on it? I agree, it is not a bad cover, just not very exciting...

that were selling for triple digits within weeks of release and then crashed so hard that

Sure, some Valiant stuff rose in price again recently due to speculation with Sony

Will history repeat itself? It's very likely because you need mass awareness & wanting

It will also be interesting to see how some of these collectors now chasing variants change and perhaps mature as they stay with the hobby longer. I wonder if some of the popularity of variants is linked to newer collectors that either can't afford, don't have the knowledge, or currently don't have the desire to chase older key books. I was talking to my LCS owner today, and he just picked up a large (and amazing) GA collection. I mentioned that my own interest in GA and SA has been growing in the last year or so. He came back with the whole GA market seems to be exploding right now, and demand is way up. Is this a results of younger collectors changing focus? If so, does this mean artificial collectibles will eventually take a hit as people start collecting other types of books?

Most modern variants do crash in price. Very few maintain their high value over time.

It hasn't deterred some from pursuing every variant that is released though. I guess time will tell.

Edited by rjrjr