• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,757 posts in this topic

I think the Punisher is pretty cool but that one is terrible.

Because?...

I totally dig that cover for America. Do you know which cover it's for? I'm assuming #1....

#2 Joe Quinones

Thanks Ygogolak! Will add this copy to my pull list.

I'm fine not seeing it again, I think it looks awful.

what's wrong with the cover? when you see something that looks like street graffiti does it makes you angry and just can't look at it?

Probably going to hate this one:

107332f0-830e-404f-a324-593325e35d99_zpss3r6sm5n.jpg

I'm a big fan of American flag clothing, so I like it a bit more... Although I know nothing about America Chavez or this comic, so I have no expectations which makes it more palatable. I have much more experience and expectations with regards to the punisher, which I fully admit colors my current experiences with punisher art. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that, that's one of the interesting part of comics. You let their history and your history with them inform you current level enjoyment of the characters. Maybe if I never saw Tim Bradstreet I would have like the Opena variant more. Who knows?

All this modern variant cover explosion reminds me of the 90's Valiant books

that were selling for triple digits within weeks of release and then crashed so hard that

it made Russian toilet paper look more appealing.

Sure, some Valiant stuff rose in price again recently due to speculation with Sony

possibly making Valiant related movies but, boy oh boy....

Will history repeat itself? It's very likely because you need mass awareness & wanting

to drive continued demand and niche markets rarely, if ever, do that.

It will also be interesting to see how some of these collectors now chasing variants change and perhaps mature as they stay with the hobby longer. I wonder if some of the popularity of variants is linked to newer collectors that either can't afford, don't have the knowledge, or currently don't have the desire to chase older key books. I was talking to my LCS owner today, and he just picked up a large (and amazing) GA collection. I mentioned that my own interest in GA and SA has been growing in the last year or so. He came back with the whole GA market seems to be exploding right now, and demand is way up. Is this a results of younger collectors changing focus? If so, does this mean artificial collectibles will eventually take a hit as people start collecting other types of books?

Part of the equation is also not true collectors but people trying to diversify investment portfolios with the big GA keys. There are still many undervalued books in the bronze age that don't even have 1 CGC 9.8 yet and people are spending $9,000 on a modern that has double digit 9.8 copies :screwy:

Remember many BA and CA books that were sold as "rare" or hard to find not to long ago. Then about 15 years ago this little thing called eBay hit big, and showed us that books the LCS' were selling for $10 as hard to find were all over the place, and the prices have fallen to about $2. I remember hunting upwards of a dozen stores to put runs together and overpaying just because I finally found the stupid book. That does not happen in todays world, I can find 99% of books in about 15 minutes. A lot of what was thought to be rare turned out to be common, and prices on so many books now reflect that fact.

I used to buy all that stuff out of dollar boxes at shows in NYC. If you lived in a place with one shop I guess they did monopoly pricing.

"My only problem with this is that those Valiant books had massive print runs"

By the standards of the early 90s, the early valiants had small print-runs. by today's standards, yes even the "low print run" Harbinger 1 sold like a top 25 book. Harbinger 1s 40-50K or whatever print run didn't cause it to drop in price a few years later, the post-unity books had giant print runs and were not collectible and folks lost interest and then the whole market went down. When you went to a show in late 1993 and saw thousands of copies of some post-unity valiants selling 5/$1 that was going to demolish the perception of the earlier books as being collectible.

By the standards of the early 90s, the early valiants had small print-runs. by today's standards, yes even the "low print run" Harbinger 1 sold like a top 25 book. Harbinger 1s 40-50K or whatever print run didn't cause it to drop in price a few years later, the post-unity books had giant print runs and were not collectible and folks lost interest and then the whole market went down. When you went to a show in late 1993 and saw thousands of copies of some post-unity valiants selling 5/$1 that was going to demolish the perception of the earlier books as being collectible.

Those early issues also had coupons in them that got cut out in droves. Couple that with spines having a tendency to split at the staples makes getting a complete high grade copy vey tough.

Harbinger 1 had a print run of 80,000, issue 0 blue 130,000. But the pink 0 had a run of only 6000 or so. The print run for some early Valiant stuff may have been smaller than other books released by Marvel, DC or Image back then but 80,000 is 80,000. Eternal Warrior 1 had 150,000 printed vs 5000 for the gold logo variant. Today the variant game helps keep the industry a float and has spawned a boom in speculation but there's still a plethora of great content out there which I suspect is good for the industry. Back then was there anything that could have keep the market going? I can't remember anything.

High end comics cost a lot of money so personally I'm not putting the no-honey-money into expensive variant of little substance. If I want the cover for Gamora 2 I'll just take the Marvel Diamond Previews book for that month, bag and board it and file it away, after all it's got a ton of other great art in it too. Then I can spend my money or worthwhile mess like all the Low comics I'm missing or completing my SCUD run.

The valiant price guide website says harbinger 1 was 48k. I have no idea if that is correct, but that's what it saus. In 1992, that was considered a limited edition issue! Today's prices on these in high grade certainly show its not a book you're going b to stumble on a short box of. I wish I owned one, but when I was actively looking I had a $2 limit for that issue. Oh well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-can-never-go-home-writer-signs-3-book-deal-black-mask-studios-969132

WE CAN NEVER GO HOME is in development as a television series: "Kindlon, who also penned Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD: Quake for Marvel, co-wrote Never Go Home with writing partner Matthew Rosenberg (Rocket Racoon, 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank). The comic about super-powered teen misfits on the run was an indie publishing success in 2015 and is now in development as a television series."

Also confirmed by Matthew Rosenberg:

And

The valiant price guide website says harbinger 1 was 48k. I have no idea if that is correct, but that's what it saus. In 1992, that was considered a limited edition issue! Today's prices on these in high grade certainly show its not a book you're going b to stumble on a short box of. I wish I owned one, but when I was actively looking I had a $2 limit for that issue. Oh well.

No you are right, I must have confused it with Harbinger Files 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-can-never-go-home-writer-signs-3-book-deal-black-mask-studios-969132

WE CAN NEVER GO HOME is in development as a television series: "Kindlon, who also penned Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD: Quake for Marvel, co-wrote Never Go Home with writing partner Matthew Rosenberg (Rocket Racoon, 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank). The comic about super-powered teen misfits on the run was an indie publishing success in 2015 and is now in development as a television series."

Also confirmed by Matthew Rosenberg:

And

I like the Bad Brains cover but damn there's a lot of variants for this comic.

I wish I owned one, but when I was actively looking I had a $2 limit for that issue. Oh well.

Harbinger #1 was available and sold rapidly for about $8 in the late 1990s on Ebay. There were about 5 buyers who used $8 as their "floor", and who basically had no limit to the number they would buy, so it was generally $8 or more. Except for sellers who didn't realize they could easily get more than a dollar, it wasn't found very often in the bargain bins. I regularly saw Harbinger #7 and up in the bargain bins... with a few lucky finds of #3, #5, or #6... but rarely.

The coupon in #1 - #6 is often cut out, and the spine is often split (#1 cover paper isn't great).

CGC 8.5 sold for $72 this month, and there aren't many early 1990s regular issue books that can say that.

CGC 9.6 is about $260, and the last CGC 9.8 was $750.