• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Not interested in Thanos. I love Cates, but Cosmic Ghost Rider?

Its just speculator driven at this point. Readers aren't clamoring for this book.

Disagree with you on this one.  

I enjoy the series and character so far.  Always love to see someone whoop up on Thanos. 

The series, minus the Phoenix, has been interesting. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Read your post.....and am taking a break from punching myself in the nuts to type this.  I sold all 20 copies I had of MM #1 some time ago......:facepalm:

But you capitalized I'm sure.

This is like the Vision series.

Same writer hm

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

But you capitalized I'm sure.

This is like the Vision series.

Same writer hm

I did for sure, but I really wish I held a NM+ set back (or two).  Vision was different in that the series never really "caught on" until issue #5.  When that series did blow up, issue #4 was pretty tough to get, but #5 and #6 are the toughest to get (imo anyways)....

Go on take the money and run...ooh hoo hoo lol

I've agonized over early sales. 7 bought off the shelf The Walking Dead #1s for less than $100 each or a IH #181 and a GS #1, both in the 9.6 to 9.8 unread range for less than $400 each when that was the books' high. It happens. I've also sold lots of stuff like Rat Queens, East of West ( which I've purchased cheaper since), Ultimate X-men, Ultimates, early 2000s Transformers and GI Joe. When I sold the latter, it hurt to let them go and watch them rise...only to fall. It balances out and you NEVER lose money making money ?

I purchased the GS  X-men #1, the IH #181, a run of X-men from 94 to the mid 140s with lots of doubles, and  a run of NM  read Conan #1 through maybe 120 with lots of doubles. All of this for $900 in around 2003 to 2004 or so. I made a profit by the time I sold the 3rd book in the box. Sold about half at the time and kept half for a while, eventually selling them all. 

I'm certain of one thing. Selling when they're first hot has helped me stay in the black from the Wolverine mini in 1982, to Sandman, to the Spawn #1, to Magnus #12, to the Preacher/Authority/Planetary years, to Ultimate Spider-man #1 and even the Target #1, to Batman #608 and #612....to East of West in 2013 to TAH #22. There were tons of others in between. You profit, you buy more, and you buy for as little and as often as you can as early as you can and cover your ears from the hecklers...or sit on mountains of books for decades and show off the winners. Hahahaha ?

16 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Read your post.....and am taking a break from punching myself in the nuts to type this.  I sold all 20 copies I had of MM #1 some time ago......:facepalm:

I'm amazed that you were able to get 20 copies of MM #1. It was seriously under ordered around here and I had to hit up several shops just to get 5 copies. I sold my extras too early as well thinking that it hit the ceiling at $20-$30.

A modern selling for decent money because of QUALITY! Imagine that!

13 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I enjoy the series and character so far.  Always love to see someone whoop up on Thanos. 

Patrick

Lemire's Thanos series was great and Cates picked up right where he left off and didn't skip a beat. Spec or not, it's one of the few Marvels I look forward to reading each month. Moon Knight and Dr Strange being the others

5 minutes ago, Lonzilla said:

I'm amazed that you were able to get 20 copies of MM #1. It was seriously under ordered around here and I had to hit up several shops just to get 5 copies. I sold my extras too early as well thinking that it hit the ceiling at $20-$30.

A modern selling for decent money because of QUALITY! Imagine that!

I pre-ordered a few based on his Vision series and was quite fortunate to pick up a bunch on release day.  Still can't complain with how it turned out---it's just that I really should have held back a few copies.  I really don't know what I was thinking....

2 hours ago, the authority said:

you NEVER lose money making money

...Absolutely sage advice!

You profit, you buy more, and you buy for as little and as often as you can as early as you can and cover your ears from the hecklers...or sit on mountains of books for decades and show off the winners. Hahahaha ?

....it appears that I am working towards the latter part of this strategy.....

1 hour ago, Lonzilla said:

Lemire's Thanos series was great and Cates picked up right where he left off and didn't skip a beat. Spec or not, it's one of the few Marvels I look forward to reading each month. Moon Knight and Dr Strange being the others

Never said Cates wasn't great. I think he is love almost all his stuff.

On this book I just don't think its readership that pushing the book. I think its speculators following Cates just 2c

I realize this isn't a popular opinion just judging on what I saw at the LCS with buyers buying as many copies as the LCS
would let them.

4 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I pre-ordered a few based on his Vision series and was quite fortunate to pick up a bunch on release day.  Still can't complain with how it turned out---it's just that I really should have held back a few copies.  I really don't know what I was thinking....

I was fortune enough to preorder based on how much I loved his Darkseid War Green Lantern story, still have mine but I almost envy the peace of mind you have as Ive been tortured for months trying to figure out when/if to sell the few sets Ive built.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Never said Cates wasn't great. I think he is love almost all his stuff.

On this book I just don't think its readership that pushing the book. I think its speculators following Cates just 2c

I realize this isn't a popular opinion just judging on what I saw at the LCS with buyers buying as many copies as the LCS
would let them.

Respectfully I have to disagree, I think its the strong followings the writer has built based on consistent quality, as with Mister Miracle.

I think its a combination of both, but readers are certainly enjoying it if the review and user score aggregates are any indicator.

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/thanos-(2016)

I want this to be the case though, so confirmation bias and all that.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:06 PM, ygogolak said:

The Oblivion Song "Not for Resale" advance is selling for a nice chunk of change.

If this is actually in reference to Campbell's statues that are up for pre order, you really should look at the value of many of Sideshow's statues released over the last couple years before making that jump. Thanos EX is selling for close to double the original amount. Same for Harbottle's Red Sonja, Huntress, and many others. And many Prime 1 pieces and XM pieces are doing even better than Sideshow's value wise. Even tho investment really plays no role with my statue collecting, I would be a VERY happy man right now if that weren't the case. The value of many high end statues have absolutely exploded, especially older Sideshow pieces. My Predator Maquette EX by itself would fetch around $5k right now. And given how hot Campbell is in the comic market, I don't see why anyone would expect anything different with his limited edition statues, especially when they look as drop dead stunning as they do. Sideshow has raised thier game to a whole new level over the last couple years and Abbey Chase and The Little Mermaid look gorgeous. So it really doesn't matter what song I sing at this point. I am sitting pretty either way. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

9 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

If this is actually in reference to Campbell's statues that are up for pre order, you really should look at the value of many of Sideshow's statues released over the last couple years before making that jump. Thanos EX is selling for close to double the original amount. Same for Harbottle's Red Sonja, Huntress, and many others. And many Prime 1 pieces and XM pieces are doing even better than Sideshow's value wise. Even tho investment really plays no role with my statue collecting, I would be a VERY happy man right now if that weren't the case. The value of many high end statues have absolutely exploded, especially older Sideshow pieces. My Predator Maquette EX by itself would fetch around $5k right now. And given how hot Campbell is in the comic market, I don't see why anyone would expect anything different with his limited edition statues, especially when they look as drop dead stunning as they do. Sideshow has raised thier game to a whole new level over the last couple years and Abbey Chase and The Little Mermaid look gorgeous. So it really doesn't matter what song I sing at this point. I am sitting pretty either way. 

Yes, my comment about Oblivion Song by Kirkman is actually about your statues.

:facepalm:

6 hours ago, the authority said:

Go on take the money and run...ooh hoo hoo lol

I've agonized over early sales. 7 bought off the shelf The Walking Dead #1s for less than $100 each or a IH #181 and a GS #1, both in the 9.6 to 9.8 unread range for less than $400 each when that was the books' high. It happens. I've also sold lots of stuff like Rat Queens, East of West ( which I've purchased cheaper since), Ultimate X-men, Ultimates, early 2000s Transformers and GI Joe. When I sold the latter, it hurt to let them go and watch them rise...only to fall. It balances out and you NEVER lose money making money ?

I purchased the GS  X-men #1, the IH #181, a run of X-men from 94 to the mid 140s with lots of doubles, and  a run of NM  read Conan #1 through maybe 120 with lots of doubles. All of this for $900 in around 2003 to 2004 or so. I made a profit by the time I sold the 3rd book in the box. Sold about half at the time and kept half for a while, eventually selling them all. 

I'm certain of one thing. Selling when they're first hot has helped me stay in the black from the Wolverine mini in 1982, to Sandman, to the Spawn #1, to Magnus #12, to the Preacher/Authority/Planetary years, to Ultimate Spider-man #1 and even the Target #1, to Batman #608 and #612....to East of West in 2013 to TAH #22. There were tons of others in between. You profit, you buy more, and you buy for as little and as often as you can as early as you can and cover your ears from the hecklers...or sit on mountains of books for decades and show off the winners. Hahahaha ?

Hindsight is 20/20 and again, selling at the top is EASILY one of the most difficult things in all of investing. People who try and brag about selling so and so at the height of value, I honestly don't believe most of the people that make those claims. And I am sure everyone has horror stories when it comes to investments. I sold off half of my Apple stock back in late 1999 to buy a large format lens for my 4x5 camera. It seemed like a good move at the time as the stock had basically been stagnate for 10+ years and the stock price basically quadrupled in late 1999 (it went from roughly $1.15 a share to $4.00 a share, lol). The cost of the lens, $2200. I sold 400 shares in total for just under $1550. Considering Apple stock split 3 times after that point, including a 7 to 1 split in 2014 and the stock is now valued at $171...well, you do the math. I can't stomach to look at those numbers anymore. I'm just thankful I didn't sell all of it. Then I really would be kicking myself. 

Bottom line - you will never make any money if you don't sell. That much is 100% guaranteed and believe me, I have met more than my fair share of collectors over the years that were literally incapable of selling. They just couldn't do it. They just keep holding and holding and in my experience, its usually the people that don't sell or couldn't sell that wind up being the ones that wish they had played things differently when all is said and done. As long as you made money and it kept you going forward, which appears to be the case from your post....well, you should look at those moves as successful, even if they weren't optimal. I know I wouldn't have anywhere near the collections i have today if I didn't sell, even tho many times I sold too early and many times too late. Again, hindsight is 20/20. Based on your post, it appears you have done pretty ok over the years. 

Sorry about the stock but you can't buy the memories you probably recorded with that camera. It wasn't a total loss. (thumbsu

I bought a ton, well,  close to a ton of Superman 204 Lee covers and a box full of Jupiter's Legacy that I'll probably take to my grave, so it has its ups and downs. lol 

On another note, the " not for resale " Oblivion Song mentioned above was a retailer preview TPB by Robert Kirkman. The actual comic 1st issue comes out in March. I went heavy on Kirkman's last book, Outcast,  and it paid off enormously well for me but it sank like a rock later and a lot of people got stuck with them. The series sells in the $1 to $1.50 per book range.  I truly hate when that happens to a series. It makes you wonder who was buying all of those early copies.

Outcast is a pretty good read and is supported by a TV show but still doesn't sell. I think it has to do with the art. It isn't very commercial and Oblivion Song's art strikes me the same way.  The Walking Dead and Invincible took people by surprise, this surprise no one. The TPB was a good idea to create some hype but it appears to be plentiful and easy to find. This is similar to the Redneck retailer variants that came out last year

I'm strongly on the TAH #22 bandwagon, though I only have 2 of them. Still buying Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales stuff too. Something could happen with both of them...and soon....

Sorry about the stock but you can't buy the memories you probably recorded with that camera. It wasn't a total loss. (thumbsu

I bought a ton, well,  close to a ton of Superman 204 Lee covers and a box full of Jupiter's Legacy that I'll probably take to my grave, so it has its ups and downs. lol 

On another note, the " not for resale " Oblivion Song mentioned above was a retailer preview TPB by Robert Kirkman. The actual comic 1st issue comes out in March. I went heavy on Kirkman's last book, Outcast,  and it paid off enormously well for me but it sank like a rock later and a lot of people got stuck with them. The series sells in the $1 to $1.50 per book range.  I truly hate when that happens to a series. It makes you wonder who was buying all of those early copies.

Outcast is a pretty good read and is supported by a TV show but still doesn't sell. I think it has to do with the art. It isn't very commercial and Oblivion Song's art strikes me the same way.  The Walking Dead and Invincible took people by surprise, this surprise no one. The TPB was a good idea to create some hype but it appears to be plentiful and easy to find. This is similar to the Redneck retailer variants that came out last year

I'm strongly on the TAH #22 bandwagon, though I only have 2 of them. Still buying Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales stuff too. Something could happen with both of them...and soon....

Went to see the maze flick yesterday and there was a preview that showed Miles pull off the mask.  Black couple next to me kind of gasp when they saw a black spidey. 

On 1/27/2018 at 9:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

Not interested in Thanos. I love Cates, but Cosmic Ghost Rider?

Its just speculator driven at this point. Readers aren't clamoring for this book.

23 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

Swore off buying any new ( to me ) series during the winter. That didn't last long. lol

I read these today after hearing so much about them. Loved Cates writing and the art was excellent too. What was I thinking by skipping this ? :tonofbricks:

This may be something. There are numerous books/storylines involving Thanos that hold their value fairly well. I'd like to own a few runs of this at the early buy in but instead, I own a run I can read in the dark hahaha. Cates just keeps killing it. Congrats to him. :tink:

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, my comment about Oblivion Song by Kirkman is actually about your statues.

:facepalm:

If I misinterpreted your comment then you have my apologies. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. I thought that comment was hinting at the price of the Campbell statues. Again, if I was wrong then my bad. 

16 hours ago, the authority said:

The thing is, people are going to be buying Oblivion Song because its a new Kirkman book, hoping to ride some Walking Dead magic. And its going to sell a boat load of pre-orders. So it will probably have no value. Its hard to have an independent book by a big name creator take the market by surprise anymore.