• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

675 is the cameo, 676 is the full.  The market loves the first full appearance....not the cameo so much....

This happens on so many other books too....but you already knew that.  

37 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Why is Avengers 676 heating up? I see sellers state that it's the first full appearance of Voyager yet I saw a CGC 9.8 Avengers 675 with the notation "First appearance of Voyager".

Avengers 676

Avengers 675

There are variants of 675 where she appears on the cover though. We'll see what the market does. Probably 676.................

1 hour ago, Mapleleafvann said:

675 is the cameo, 676 is the full.  The market loves the first full appearance....not the cameo so much....

This happens on so many other books too....but you already knew that.  

the market loves the lowest printed book regardless of the extent of the appearance. 

Sales have been very steady and up this year in general.  I usually see a real slow down in December and January but other then during the Holidays it’s been very busy and not only hot keys.  Pretty much anything is sell give it a little time

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Has anyone else been experiencing the increase in business on ebay the last few months.
The last 3 months have been the best sales I have had in many years. I am just small seller, but
there were days where I honestly couldn't keep up with sales.

You search for desirable stuff so you always have people looking at what you have available. You are also typically ahead of the curve on comics that are on their way up. That doesn't hurt you. 

I've noticed a trend for a few years or more. Comics sell well in December from largely to slightly discounted prices. Its a buyer's market for the most part. I buy the majority  ( 60% to 75% ) of my secondary market books for the year every December. I have theories as to why this happens but I firmly believe comics just can't compete with video games and  electronics for Christmas money. That leads to deals for those of us willing to wait...even though waiting might cause us to miss a hot book.

I sell a large number of books from February through June or maybe very early July. I used to sell year round but the profit margins are low to nonexistent some months. It does seem that the bargains dried up a little earlier this year than they have in a while. Maybe a new wave of readers and speculators are trying comics out like they did in 2012 and 2013. I really can't say because I've been in mostly buy mode for runs. Lots of good cheap reading in those sets. 

Lastly, while the Big 2 and Image nudge the market heavy in the summertime, they always slide in winners in the spring. The more good new stuff on the shelves, the more overall interest in the secondary market imo. 2c

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

In general, yes....but these rules are broken all the time. 

Not with post 2000 books. If there are multiple books contending for a first appearance and the earlier issue has substantially lower printed edition, its going to be THE book. If the later, full appearance issue has the substantially lower printed book then it is THE book. If print runs are similar then the winner is the book with the first cover appearance among the contenders. If the character is on neither cover then it goes to the book with the better cover art. 

8 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Not with post 2000 books. If there are multiple books contending for a first appearance and the earlier issue has substantially lower printed edition, its going to be THE book. If the later, full appearance issue has the substantially lower printed book then it is THE book. If print runs are similar then the winner is the book with the first cover appearance among the contenders. If the character is on neither cover then it goes to the book with the better cover art. 

Very hard to argue with those points---spot on!

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Has anyone else been experiencing the increase in business on ebay the last few months.
The last 3 months have been the best sales I have had in many years. I am just small seller, but
there were days where I honestly couldn't keep up with sales.

Very good business.  The last week has slowed though. 

Patrick

17 hours ago, kairos70 said:

Why is Avengers 676 heating up? I see sellers state that it's the first full appearance of Voyager yet I saw a CGC 9.8 Avengers 675 with the notation "First appearance of Voyager".

Avengers 676

Avengers 675

"Heating up" like a hot stone dropped in a puddle. I've given up on Marvel's ability to create any good new characters which aren't derivative

18 hours ago, Philflound said:

I think there are too many speculators and books heat up each time a character or movie or tv show is announced. The smart ones cash in on it fast and most of the time, the books will cool down a few months after said character/show/movie has come out. If you have the right items, your sales will be up. Once the popularity hits again (new movies, shows, character appears again) there will be slight heating up again. If the media remains hot then the book will have long standing value. If not, it will level off and stay stagnant for some years, then you'll see those who just want to discount their stuff to move on to the next hot thing.

Example is Harley Quinn. She's been in the spotlight for years now with her own book and many one shots, variants, and spin offs. When SS movie came out, Batman Adv 12 shot up real high. 9.8s were selling between $1800-1900. The book then cooled a little down to about $1600. Now it's back over $1600 with one of the latest sales close to $1700. Once she hits the big screen again, expect this book to go up a couple hundred more, maybe reaching the $2k mark. As there are no shortage of 9.8s out there (over 600 copies including sigs), I don't expect the book to skyrocket past that, if it even hits it. 

However your 9.8's will never be worth near what you paid for them if the show sucks donkey balls like Preacher lol

4 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

However your 9.8's will never be worth near what you paid for them if the show sucks donkey balls like Preacher lol

Preacher #1 and the Preview were victims of a flood of bad information regarding their print runs and availability in 9.8. 

On 2/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, darkstar said:

Actually, I think the Golden Rule here is, Whichever book The Blob has fewer of . . . lol

On 2/4/2018 at 2:06 AM, divad said:

Actually, I think the Golden Rule here is, Whichever book The Blob has fewer of . . . lol

Third appearances like Thor 339 are really the ones people should be chasing.  UNLESS we are talking about the first appearance of a weapon, like in Thor 459.  Then those are really key issues. OR the first time Jim lee does a run on superman, like Superman 204. If anyone is looking for copies of these books in bulk I might be able to help you....

My apologies, 339 is not a "modern." 459 is on the fence.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Third appearances like Thor 339 are really the ones people should be chasing.  UNLESS we are talking about the first appearance of a weapon, like in Thor 459.  Then those are really key issues. OR the first time Jim lee does a run on superman, like Superman 204. If anyone is looking for copies of these books in bulk I might be able to help you....

My apologies, 339 is not a "modern." 459 is on the fence.

Superman 204? Perhaps if you incinerate 150,000 copies.