• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I guess that seller was an employee ???

lol Todd's making everyone who works there some bonus checks!

2 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

It reminds me of Afterlife with Archie, it was a great idea but they seemed to struggle to get any books out on time or were they scheduled to come out that way?

Not seeing any correlation between the two. The Popeye book is a variant cover to Popeye Classics which are just reprints.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:28 PM, the authority said:

Sorry about the stock but you can't buy the memories you probably recorded with that camera. It wasn't a total loss. (thumbsu

I bought a ton, well,  close to a ton of Superman 204 Lee covers and a box full of Jupiter's Legacy that I'll probably take to my grave, so it has its ups and downs. lol 

On another note, the " not for resale " Oblivion Song mentioned above was a retailer preview TPB by Robert Kirkman. The actual comic 1st issue comes out in March. I went heavy on Kirkman's last book, Outcast,  and it paid off enormously well for me but it sank like a rock later and a lot of people got stuck with them. The series sells in the $1 to $1.50 per book range.  I truly hate when that happens to a series. It makes you wonder who was buying all of those early copies.

Outcast is a pretty good read and is supported by a TV show but still doesn't sell. I think it has to do with the art. It isn't very commercial and Oblivion Song's art strikes me the same way.  The Walking Dead and Invincible took people by surprise, this surprise no one. The TPB was a good idea to create some hype but it appears to be plentiful and easy to find. This is similar to the Redneck retailer variants that came out last year

I'm strongly on the TAH #22 bandwagon, though I only have 2 of them. Still buying Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales stuff too. Something could happen with both of them...and soon....

Actually, as much as I wish that were the case, we actually wound up having a house fire in early 2008 and lost everything. Short of some of the precious metals that we owned that had melted and turned into large pools, it was a 100% total loss. We were fully insured so we were made whole financially, but nothing survived the fire. And as bad as it was losing all of my various collections, as I'm sure you can imagine it was the loss of all of my negatives and prints that wound up being the most devastating aspect of the loss as they were irreplaceable. At that point, I had been shooting pictures professionally for roughly 10 years, 16 if you include the 6 years I spent in art school. I estimate I had over 10,000 - 4x5 negatives and transparencies, around 750 - 8x10 negatives, and at least 600-700 rolls of 6x6, 6x7, and 35mm negatives. Plus I had 5 complete 4x5 transparency portfolio's that I would send out to potential new clients. Each 4x5 transparency was matted in 8x10 archival black matts I had specially made and was held in a Lightware case with a portable light box. I also had 5 - 11x14 print portfolio's that were stored in Ice Nine portfolio's from Case Envy that were customized with my business name & logo. Those 5 portfolio's cost around $1200 to produce and of course the time and effort in making the prints (each one held roughly 40 prints). I also had roughly 10 boxes of 16x20 matted prints, 5 boxes of 20x24 matted prints, TONS of boxes of 8x10 prints and proof sheets, and I also produced limited edition prints and up to point had released around 25 prints to date. All had edition sizes of 100 and most of those limited edition prints still had 40%-60% of the prints remaining. Basically, the loss was really beyond description and short of the death of my parents, was easily the most devastating event of my life.

I still remember vividly the day I went out and shot pictures again for the first time after the fire, knowing full well that those were going to be the first negatives that I owned again. It was beyond depressing and what made that loss 1000 times worse is I had just purchased a high end 4x5 film scanner like 5 months prior and was planning on scanning and digitizing my complete picture archive. I just hadn't got around to doing it yet. I did do a single test of the film scanner when I first received it so I do have 1 single scan that wound up surviving from all of the pictures I lost that day. Here it is. 

394662_2358082117820_1852005099_n.jpg.7d160e52427b45a6e04f4f73c47b0a63.jpg

The only picture to survive roughly 16 years of shooting pictures. Pretty depressing huh? That day certainly changed my perspective on a lot of things. And I appreciate the heads up on the "not for resale" song. Totally misinterpreted that post. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

23 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Wow, employee editions. I have to admit, that's a really cool incentive for companies to give out. A big tip of the hat to McFarlane for producing such a cool employee incentive. Not sure if other companies have done this or not. This is the first time I have seen anything like this before. Again, very cool idea and obviously  one that can be quite valuable as well. 

I at first felt it was low to sell off a company gift but since it got SS by Todd he must have know it was going to be encapsulated so maybe he knew it was getting sold.  Kind of cold to get a company insider comic and then sell it.

37 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

They are both horror books with an interesting twist on characters generally not of that genre, are they not?

No
Re-presenting the classic Popeye comic book series that debuted in 1948 by Bud Sagendorf, the long-time assistant to creator E.C. Segar! Carefully reproduced from the original comic books and lovingly restored,

58 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I at first felt it was low to sell off a company gift but since it got SS by Todd he must have know it was going to be encapsulated so maybe he knew it was getting sold.  Kind of cold to get a company insider comic and then sell it.

Money talks!!

59 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Most employers would sell their employees souls if given the opportunity...

On 1/29/2018 at 4:40 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yeah I don't get the Popeye thing at all.

If I eats my spinach, I'm strong to the finach, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man! Toot, toot! (What's not to get???) lol

11 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Actually, as much as I wish that were the case, we actually wound up having a house fire in early 2008 and lost everything. Short of some of the precious metals that we owned that had melted and turned into large pools, it was a 100% total loss. We were fully insured so we were made whole financially, but nothing survived the fire. And as bad as it was losing all of my various collections, as I'm sure you can imagine it was the loss of all of my negatives and prints that wound up being the most devastating aspect of the loss as they were irreplaceable. At that point, I had been shooting pictures professionally for roughly 10 years, 16 if you include the 6 years I spent in art school. I estimate I had over 10,000 - 4x5 negatives and transparencies, around 750 - 8x10 negatives, and at least 600-700 rolls of 6x6, 6x7, and 35mm negatives. Plus I had 5 complete 4x5 transparency portfolio's that I would send out to potential new clients. Each 4x5 transparency was matted in 8x10 archival black matts I had specially made and was held in a Lightware case with a portable light box. I also had 5 - 11x14 print portfolio's that were stored in Ice Nine portfolio's from Case Envy that were customized with my business name & logo. Those 5 portfolio's cost around $1200 to produce and of course the time and effort in making the prints (each one held roughly 40 prints). I also had roughly 10 boxes of 16x20 matted prints, 5 boxes of 20x24 matted prints, TONS of boxes of 8x10 prints and proof sheets, and I also produced limited edition prints and up to point had released around 25 prints to date. All had edition sizes of 100 and most of those limited edition prints still had 40%-60% of the prints remaining. Basically, the loss was really beyond description and short of the death of my parents, was easily the most devastating event of my life.

I still remember vividly the day I went out and shot pictures again for the first time after the fire, knowing full well that those were going to be the first negatives that I owned again. It was beyond depressing and what made that loss 1000 times worse is I had just purchased a high end 4x5 film scanner like 5 months prior and was planning on scanning and digitizing my complete picture archive. I just hadn't got around to doing it yet. I did do a single test of the film scanner when I first received it so I do have 1 single scan that wound up surviving from all of the pictures I lost that day. Here it is. 

394662_2358082117820_1852005099_n.jpg.7d160e52427b45a6e04f4f73c47b0a63.jpg

The only picture to survive roughly 16 years of shooting pictures. Pretty depressing huh? That day certainly changed my perspective on a lot of things. And I appreciate the heads up on the "not for resale" song. Totally misinterpreted that post. 

That would suck big time and nice pic.

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Has anyone else been experiencing the increase in business on ebay the last few months.
The last 3 months have been the best sales I have had in many years. I am just small seller, but
there were days where I honestly couldn't keep up with sales.

I was.....but for some reason, it died about 10 days ago for me.  

I think there are too many speculators and books heat up each time a character or movie or tv show is announced. The smart ones cash in on it fast and most of the time, the books will cool down a few months after said character/show/movie has come out. If you have the right items, your sales will be up. Once the popularity hits again (new movies, shows, character appears again) there will be slight heating up again. If the media remains hot then the book will have long standing value. If not, it will level off and stay stagnant for some years, then you'll see those who just want to discount their stuff to move on to the next hot thing.

Example is Harley Quinn. She's been in the spotlight for years now with her own book and many one shots, variants, and spin offs. When SS movie came out, Batman Adv 12 shot up real high. 9.8s were selling between $1800-1900. The book then cooled a little down to about $1600. Now it's back over $1600 with one of the latest sales close to $1700. Once she hits the big screen again, expect this book to go up a couple hundred more, maybe reaching the $2k mark. As there are no shortage of 9.8s out there (over 600 copies including sigs), I don't expect the book to skyrocket past that, if it even hits it. 

9 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Why is Avengers 676 heating up? I see sellers state that it's the first full appearance of Voyager yet I saw a CGC 9.8 Avengers 675 with the notation "First appearance of Voyager".

Avengers 676

Avengers 675

675 is the cameo, 676 is the full.  The market loves the first full appearance....not the cameo so much....

This happens on so many other books too....but you already knew that.