• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

just weird as it's a raw and there's a 9.8 for $1400 - i get that it's a $400 difference but there are other raws for much less. 

and that's not a 9.8 raw

sounds like you're rich! I hope the package doesn't get lost in the mail!

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Interesting that The Last Ronin regular cover is more than the 1:10 and even the 1:25 variant! 

Agreed, very odd. 

The 1:10 was hot pretty much the 1st week, but it's pretty much been pfffftttttttttttt since. 

Patrick

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

It’s my experience that Spawn is an online book and not a show book. People don’t want to pay real money at shows for Spawn so I don’t really bother trying to sell there

of course the exception is Spawn 1 cause everyone loves that book 

Very much agree w/ this statement. 

People will pay in the $10 range for Spawn books at shows.  Not a lot of those left post-100 any more. 

Patrick

Found 20 copies of Marvel Voices #1 at my LCS' dollar bin today all very minty... hope that book can hang on around $100 for another 2 weeks... might keep 5 or so to send to CGC. If I had enough to do a prescreen I would just keep em all. I think they were restocking/switching out inventory in the dollar bins so I'm going to check back tomorrow and see if they drop any more in there... already feel pretty lucky, this is one of my best scores in a while so why not press my luck? :bigsmile:

2 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Found 20 copies of Marvel Voices #1 at my LCS' dollar bin today all very minty... hope that book can hang on around $100 for another 2 weeks... might keep 5 or so to send to CGC. If I had enough to do a prescreen I would just keep em all. I think they were restocking/switching out inventory in the dollar bins so I'm going to check back tomorrow and see if they drop any more in there... already feel pretty lucky, this is one of my best scores in a while so why not press my luck? :bigsmile:

Amazing they didn't press you at checkout. Also are they going for $100? 

Edited by maidenmate91

1 minute ago, maidenmate91 said:

Amazing they didn't press you at checkout. 

yeah, I have an lcs near me and if you go up with 3 they will get onebay and see what is what and then say 1 per

I recall that happening with something superman-y, lois and clark 8 perhaps, and they took the ones I had (left me one), took the rest of the rack and put them away. Next week they were $10 or whatever. I watched a few go unsold and sit for a year or two and then bought them cheap when they got marked down.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

yeah, I have an lcs near me and if you go up with 3 they will get onebay and see what is what and then say 1 per

I recall that happening with something superman-y, lois and clark 8 perhaps, and they took the ones I had (left me one), took the rest of the rack and put them away. Next week they were $10 or whatever. I watched a few go unsold and sit for a year or two and then bought them cheap when they got marked down.

I will usually split the finds with my lcs. So If I find 2 pricey issues, I give them 1 to sell and let them know what they are going for. It builds a trustful relationship with the owner. They will actually ask me what is heating up lol

I enjoy it though, and it ultimately helps them out, because they will list it on Ebay. The quick sales help keep the lights on. 

Going through a collection I just bought and checking out the prices of newsstands and it looks like direct and newsstand of Ghost Rider (Vol. 2) #28 is a thing. Nothing crazy, but I did not know this

Edited by awakeintheashes

2 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

I will usually split the finds with my lcs. So If I find 2 pricey issues, I give them 1 to sell and let them know what they are going for. It builds a trustful relationship with the owner. They will actually ask me what is heating up lol

I enjoy it though, and it ultimately helps them out, because they will list it on Ebay. The quick sales help keep the lights on. 

I do that at another shop. I often point out things that are sitting in their boxes that have heated up. Or hey, this edition is signed by Frank Miller (oh, really he said?) I even had a guy call me out about this here about 2 years ago...save it for the next collector but I know the lcs guys and not the hypothetical collector. So I am all about that. But the shop I am talking about has a family running it and each member has a section they sell...new issues, wall issues, stock for shows etc. So there is no one to make a connection with as no one is regularly there except mom who runs the register. So it never worked out that way there. (On that superman-y issue, it was not L&C but a had child superman growing up perhaps, 5 issue min perhaps, anyway...I was honest about the 1st app or whatever it was when they asked why multiple copies, and they had 5+ in the rack iirc but all gone as soon as the words came out of my mouth.)

I've tried to establish a relationship there, even can get in the back room now and look things over on new collections, but it has never translated to a reciprocal relationship. It is a bit out of the way but I just took some work near there so I can go each week and maybe make some traction being there more regularly. But when I went in about 3 months ago they had stacks of comics, priced and sitting on top of a case. I started to look at them and was told they were for shows and not for sale at the store. Maybe that sheds some light on the mindset at the store? 

But even so, 20 copies at once takes some brass ones mister! Good for him!

23 minutes ago, Bird said:

But even so, 20 copies at once takes some brass ones mister! Good for him!

This isn't my main LCS, I wouldn't do this at my main LCS. This particular shop isn't really an LCS only, they're a hobby shop that only sells new comics and has a few long boxes of books from the last year or three in the back that no one is ever looking at. I think most of their business is in selling board games and hosting game nights which of course has been hard hit by the pandemic. Pretty much every single thing there is cover price or less, they don't do back issues or showcase comics or any of that. Most of their customers aren't even there for the comics. I only hit them up once every few weeks but I have pulled 5x of this and 6x of that there all the time, they don't care. This WAS the most I ever bought of one issue but even when the cashiers recognized something they sold them to me. I found 10 copies of Miles Morales Spider-Man 6 there a few months back and the cashier asked if he could have one but it was cool if I said no. I bought his copy for him. Cool folks over there. And of course I have a favorable opinion of them at this point lol

Really good place to check if a new comic sells out elsewhere too, but otherwise I'm not in there too often. I was actually checking to see if they had any copies of Nottingham today - got their last 2.

As far as I know when they rotate stuff out of their dollar bins they donate them to area children's hospitals and other children's charities which is legit very cool of them but they've always been happy to see me haul a bunch of stuff out of their bins. This is for sure my biggest score there but far from my only one.

Edited by BoogieWoogie

I would flip them quick if I were you, only because of the quick growth. Today they were selling for $40-45 now on the same day they are already selling at $90. I am suspecting serious pump and dump here. That is an awesome haul though! But make your money on them and don't look back lol

These characters are below mediocre imo

"But even so, 20 copies at once takes some brass ones mister! Good for him!"

I'll be honest, I always worry that doing something like that might be a red flag if it is the owner or manager counting them that a book might be hot and they decide to look it up and decline to sell it to me. So what I've done is probably buy a lot more stuff than I might otherwise and mix the books in with the other stuff, so when they're counting it they may not be as aware that I have so many of one. 

It is one reason at my old LCS I would always try to get an employee to count my books and not the owner. I didn't want him seeing what I was buying if i knew there were some diamonds in there. To mix things up, if there was a day where there was nothing all that interesting in the boxes and I was just buying some whatever, I'd take the books to the owner. (This particular store had registers on both sides of the store. It gave him and his employee a better view of shoplifters that way.)

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

wow, that totally looks like a book my old LCS would have ordered too many of and had to dump in the dollar box.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

"But even so, 20 copies at once takes some brass ones mister! Good for him!"

I'll be honest, I always worry that doing something like that might be a red flag if it is the owner or manager counting them that a book might be hot and they decide to look it up and decline to sell it to me. So what I've done is probably buy a lot more stuff than I might otherwise and mix the books in with the other stuff, so when they're counting it they may not be as aware that I have so many of one. 

It is one reason at my old LCS I would always try to get an employee to count my books and not the owner. I didn't want him seeing what I was buying if i knew there were some diamonds in there. To mix things up, if there was a day where there was nothing all that interesting in the boxes and I was just buying some whatever, I'd take the books to the owner. (This particular store had registers on both sides of the store. It gave him and his employee a better view of shoplifters that way.)

usually comic shops don't care. Never heard of a business that didn't like selling and making money... unless its a new release and it's a hot book. The limit might be 3. Majority of those comics will sit. that's the nature of literature

27 minutes ago, littledoom said:

usually comic shops don't care. Never heard of a business that didn't like selling and making money... unless its a new release and it's a hot book. The limit might be 3. Majority of those comics will sit. that's the nature of literature

It happens regularly around here.  

We have some shops that will not let you buy more than 1 copy off the shelf, included if it has variants (1 total).

Another shop, about 3 weeks ago, pulled a 2nd copy of a back issue from my pile.  Said they don't sell more than 1 even from the backstock.  Magically, that 2nd copy is nowhere to be found.  Really wasn't that special of a book.  

I understand why shops limit new issues off the shelf.  Idea is to keep regular customers coming in.  But back issues felt a little strange.  On the flip side, the shops are being ransacked by this hype.  I keep wondering what they will have left after this is done. 

Patrick