• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I was referencing the show where you said they were for sale.

Gotcha. I know one of the dealers bought the boxes for $25 a box on the way to the show, sold hundreds of dollars out of them during the show and let them go for $30 a box at the end. He probably had 40 boxes so not a bad little profit for very little time/effort. 

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I wonder what his plans are for 67 long boxes of drek? That's a lot of drek. Yikes. I guess he has visions of picking a few scraps out of them and trying to get 50 cents or $1 a pop for the rest somewhere. I agree, there are less back breaking ways to squeeze a few bucks out of comics for sure.

It's weird but he drives them to Jacksonville, FL (from central SC) and trades them to a guy there for slabbed keys. Apparently the guy has stores in Miami and maybe up North and can't find bulk. He usually takes about 200 boxes every other month to the guy. I don't know ALL the details, but it must work for all parties involved as they've done it numerous times. 

17 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Spawn 240 thru 244 - Pulling $100 raw.
Just crazy money.

249 is not much behind it - around $80.  Killer cover. 

Patrick

What is going on!

I have a mint 242 I bought off rack that I never read...

Think it's a good time to sell it or will this keep going higher?  

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What is going on!

I have a mint 242 I bought off rack that I never read...

Think it's a good time to sell it or will this keep going higher?  

Everybody bought Spawn for the 1st 100.  In the scheme, not too many with higher prices due to supply.  Then we all dropped it.  

McFarlane dragged thru 120 thru 219 with low numbers.   Honestly shocked he continued doing it, but he seems to be a milestone guy.   NOTE: The 185 storyline definitely peaked some larger interest. 

The homage issues came out and it really got people re-thinking the book (221 thru 231).  That's when people started to realize that 120 thru 219 were pretty low numbers. 

232 thru 249 were coming out and the numbers massively dropped (though I believe the early 230s were still higher based on the success of the homage issues and the cross-over w/ Haunt).  People were definitely more focused on the 120-219 (really 120-199 as 200-219 were kind of ignored).

250 was an anniversary issue and 251 was a kind of re-boot that interested people (return to Al Simmons).   251 thru 290 seemed to have good sales, but nothing crazy.  With 120-219 being a bit of old news, people realized that many between 232 thru 290 were not too common.    NOTE: Sure did dislike those Larsen issues; they seem so opposite of typical Spawn.

The looming anniversary and record-breaking issues definitely caused a craze and it hasn't let down.  

Those 240 issue prices were shocking.  People just can't find them and it's driving the prices up like crazy.  In all honesty, they've been pricey for a little bit now.   I imagine there are a ton of people trying to complete runs and can't.  

The 210-219 run has some expensive issues too.  Hell, so many Spawns are expensive.  I can't think of any series with this many non-keys that are so expensive.  Tons are $15 each which is a low-key kind of crazy.

Patrick

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

spawn books that have recently done well (better than before) especially graded in 9.8

119 cameo gunslinger 9.8s are done way better (full disclosure I have one for auction)

122 1st NYX who becomes she spawn last 9,8 sold for $2500 not sure how legit that sale is but I have one up now for auction so we will see where it ends up

141 1st She Spawn 

Good list of books. 

119 was so weird.  People wanted to keep their head stuck in the sand on this one.  

Don't get me wrong.   I LOVE me some 174/175.  But that "cameo" is pretty damn big in 119.

122 and 141 make total sense with the recent appearances and I believe she'll have her own book? 

Those 140 issues are such low print.  Unbelievable covers too.  Before the craze, I tried to find and buy the 140s thru 150s.  They were tough to find then, impossible now.

Patrick 

I haven't read Spawn since the early '90s when the series launched. Are the new books any good? Or could the renewed interest just be nostalgia for the hype of when it was released; people remembering Spawn, seeing it's still around, picking up the new books and looking for books from the lean years. If that's what's driving the demand rather than the quality, it seems likely that interest (and prices) will wane again, no?

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Everybody bought Spawn for the 1st 100.  In the scheme, not too many with higher prices due to supply.  Then we all dropped it.  

McFarlane dragged thru 120 thru 219 with low numbers.   Honestly shocked he continued doing it, but he seems to be a milestone guy.   NOTE: The 185 storyline definitely peaked some larger interest. 

The homage issues came out and it really got people re-thinking the book (221 thru 231).  That's when people started to realize that 120 thru 219 were pretty low numbers. 

232 thru 249 were coming out and the numbers massively dropped (though I believe the early 230s were still higher based on the success of the homage issues and the cross-over w/ Haunt).  People were definitely more focused on the 120-219 (really 120-199 as 200-219 were kind of ignored).

250 was an anniversary issue and 251 was a kind of re-boot that interested people (return to Al Simmons).   251 thru 290 seemed to have good sales, but nothing crazy.  With 120-219 being a bit of old news, people realized that many between 232 thru 290 were not too common.    NOTE: Sure did dislike those Larsen issues; they seem so opposite of typical Spawn.

The looming anniversary and record-breaking issues definitely caused a craze and it hasn't let down.  

Those 240 issue prices were shocking.  People just can't find them and it's driving the prices up like crazy.  In all honesty, they've been pricey for a little bit now.   I imagine there are a ton of people trying to complete runs and can't.  

The 210-219 run has some expensive issues too.  Hell, so many Spawns are expensive.  I can't think of any series with this many non-keys that are so expensive.  Tons are $15 each which is a low-key kind of crazy.

Patrick

Hmmm, so do you think I should offload my 242 now or hold?hm

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I haven't read Spawn since the early '90s when the series launched. Are the new books any good? Or could the renewed interest just be nostalgia for the hype of when it was released; people remembering Spawn, seeing it's still around, picking up the new books and looking for books from the lean years. If that's what's driving the demand rather than the quality, it seems likely that interest (and prices) will wane again, no?

The art is fantastic, but you have to know quite a bit by then to understand the story. I would start at 100 and work your way up storywise. 

25 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

The art is fantastic, but you have to know quite a bit by then to understand the story. I would start at 100 and work your way up storywise. 

I'm not asking about the art. If a comic has the most amazing art but the story isn't interesting, then the art won't hold my interest alone. So if one does know the background, is the story interesting? Or is it just one of those things that one keeps up with because they've invested the time to read hundreds of issues?

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps