• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,768 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Are you looking to maximize return? I'd get the high grade stuff graded, any first appearances, then sell the stuff related to the first series. Unless you have a #1 hold that. Then as season 2 and season 3 roll out any 1st apps that appear in those can be shed.

I haven't read the book or watched the show but those that have said season 1 barely scratched the surface in terms of the story arcs available in just the series as it stands. They could get more seasons out of it and if they really want to extend beyond the source material they don't need to tie it to new comics to do it. But IMO unless you have very, very high grade issues you probably want to sell most of the non-keys in the run raw.

Not so much maximize 

Just do I have time to slab is what I'm looking for. I can hold slabs and upload from my phone on the go, with bought having to keep scans of raws on my phone and coordinating it with the correct book as slabs have cert numbers for keeping pics and listings and books on the go is all :foryou:

Slabs are more liquid and I can hold the high grades for my own collection if value holds!

I dont have a lot into these raws I'm just not familiar enough with the pricing since most were cheap before and I havent been in this position before

No worries

6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its on different then any book other it goes in cycles based of news and tv/movie rights. Just follow
the cycles nobody ever gets top dollar all the time. 

I am not sure there is much disagreement here. Slabs are not the majority of the market and never will be.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not so much maximize 

Just do I have time to slab is what I'm looking for. I can hold slabs and upload from my phone on the go, with bought having to keep scans of raws on my phone and coordinating it with the correct book as slabs have cert numbers for keeping pics and listings and books on the go is all :foryou:

Slabs are more liquid and I can hold the high grades for my own collection if value holds!

I dont have a lot into these raws I'm just not familiar enough with the pricing since most were cheap before and I havent been in this position before

No worries

I'm not worried about selling to audiences per se. There will be a buyer, and I'm wondering about at what value. The who of the buyer doesnt really concern me to an end at all

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not so much maximize 

No worries

I don't see this comic taking a nose dive like many quick runs/hype price-wise we've seen over time - I think of Batman Damned 1 out of the gate as a somewhat recent example, as well as Eniac 1 and others. The prices fizzled rather quickly. I think you have time with Invincible if you have keys to grade. As others mentioned, the likelihood of future movement/announcements/shows/ etc. will fluctuate the price, but I'm betting it will keep a sustainable value 2c

Raws that are much lower grade should go fast right now if you can afford to let go of some.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not so much maximize 

No worries

If you have keys that will continue to be important in seasons 2 & 3, or were just from more popular episodes of season 1, and you have them in very high grade then yes you have plenty of time to slab. It takes a ton of time to produce animation and Invincible had a long run-time. I'm guessing season 2 drops in the first half of 2023 and season 3 comes in late 2024. So even with CGC's wait times you're in good position if the books are truly high grade.

If the books are worth it - I'd say books that sell for $100+ raw and have 9.6/9.8 potential - I'd get them pressed and prescreened. If your LCS partners with CGC you may be able to prescreen way fewer than 25 books which can help you spread your costs out a bit. You have plenty of time IMO but I generally don't look to get anything that doesn't sell for at least $30 raw slabbed and when I do I prescreen 9.6+. I relax that a bit for books that sell over $100 raw but not by much.

Along with wondering if I have time to slab, I wonder as it's only 144 issues of content if itll be blown through in 3 seasons, then if a new invincible in any media will start up again, so it is the unknown 

I was more interested in the book invincible, value is 2nd to that, but in the end time is a factor and I've not been in this position 

Logic towards past trends is that I have time before 2 more seasons are over and done with, then at that time I'll have more info, still wanted a lifeline not to sell to soon so when mentioned I asked no worries 

1 minute ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I don't see this comic taking a nose dive like many quick runs/hype price-wise we've seen over time - I think of Batman Damned 1 out of the gate as a somewhat recent example, as well as Eniac 1 and others. The prices fizzled rather quickly. I think you have time with Invincible if you have keys to grade. As others mentioned, the likelihood of future movement/announcements/shows/ etc. will fluctuate the price, but I'm betting it will keep a sustainable value 2c

Raws that are much lower grade should go fast right now if you can afford to let go of some.

Invincible is more up my alley, because I had a college friend who raved about it. Umbrella academy or other Netflix I just havent gotten into

Just now, CHASEnBLUE said:

Disclaimer: The only things for certain in life are death and taxes. :)

For sure

1 minute ago, BoogieWoogie said:

If you have keys that will continue to be important in seasons 2 & 3, or were just from more popular episodes of season 1, and you have them in very high grade then yes you have plenty of time to slab. It takes a ton of time to produce animation and Invincible had a long run-time. I'm guessing season 2 drops in the first half of 2023 and season 3 comes in late 2024. So even with CGC's wait times you're in good position if the books are truly high grade.

If the books are worth it - I'd say books that sell for $100+ raw and have 9.6/9.8 potential - I'd get them pressed and prescreened. If your LCS partners with CGC you may be able to prescreen way fewer than 25 books which can help you spread your costs out a bit. You have plenty of time IMO but I generally don't look to get anything that doesn't sell for at least $30 raw slabbed and when I do I prescreen 9.6+. I relax that a bit for books that sell over $100 raw but not by much.

And those both of you are all good points, which brings me to, if the ones I have are keys kinda or near the main keys but are not any of the first 20 issues etc

I know the first 20 are hot now, I've got minor toward the middlekeys, and I just dont want to lose hope,  as some of those are starting to pick up now,

32 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its on different then any book other it goes in cycles based of news and tv/movie rights. Just follow
the cycles nobody ever gets top dollar all the time. 

I am not sure there is much disagreement here. Slabs are not the majority of the market and never will be.
Just higher values.

I moved to the invincible thread to not clog up this one, but the problem also with selling raws is I dont know which ones to keep for my collection 

Which of mine are 9.8's and not 9.6's to keep for my collection 

I really need to send them all to cgc to double check the doubles

Which even I admit sounds ludicrous on my part hahaha

Can't even count how many times in hindsight I felt that I sold to early, should have graded more, should have sold sooner, etc. Over the last 4 or 5 years my focus has been selling on my store while at the same time adding to my pc. I say that because I'm more focused on buying several issues at times and more often than not it works out but sometimes it doesn't. I do as much research as I can and watch trends, as well as go with my own intuition based on experiences in the past.

A more recent example for me is Strange Academy. I have three of the number 1 A covers I'm keeping in my PC not graded, and they're high grade, and two of the wraparound covers. I've sold off four graded in total and just going to ride the spares out for a while - but I've already made my money back and then some so that one's a win! (Makes up for a few other spec fizzles over the last year) 😂

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

Just now, CHASEnBLUE said:

Can't even count how many times in hindsight I felt that I sold to early, should have graded more, should have sold sooner, etc. Over the last 4 or 5 years my focus has been selling on my store while at the same time adding to my pc. I say that because I'm more focused on buying several issues at times and more often than not it works out but sometimes it doesn't. I do as much research as I can and watch trans, as well as go with my own intuition based on experiences in the past.

A more recent example for me is Strange Academy. I have three of the number 1 A covers I'm keeping in my PC not graded, and they're high grade, and two of the wraparound covers. I've sold off four graded in total and just going to ride the spares out for a while - but I've already made my money back and then some so that one's a win! (Makes up for a few other spec fizzles over the last year) 😂

Yes it's tough but that's what it comes down to is personal life and habits.

I didnt realize how much I would be posting about my personal collecting habits, and why i was taken aback at first...

I just didnt see how it all played a part whether subconsciously or just actual collecting habits Haha

I cant assume that y'alls are the same, I guess I was expecting yall to share how yall view it is all, so thanks!

Speaking of Invincible, I'm amazed at how the Larry's edition of #1 keeps creeping up more and more. I keep thinking it's going to pull back some but not yet. It'll be interesting to see how this paces out with the original Invincible #1. I sent one off to get a quick press though just to have one on hand when I think I'm ready to pull the trigger!:bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes it's tough but that's what it comes down to is personal life and habits.

I didnt realize how much I would be posting about my personal collecting habits, and why i was taken aback at first...

I just didnt see how it all played a part whether subconsciously or just actual collecting habits Haha

I cant assume that y'alls are the same, I guess I was expecting yall to share how yall view it is all, so thanks!

That's why I really like these threads and wish I would have been more active before I finally became active. I've learned so much just from other collective perspectives and experiences here.

2 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Speaking of Invincible, I'm amazed at how the Larry's edition of #1 keeps creeping up more and more. I keep thinking it's going to pull back some but not yet. It'll be interesting to see how this paces out with the original Invincible #1. I sent one off to get a quick press though just to have one on hand when I think I'm ready to pull the trigger!:bigsmile:

Ya I definitely wasn't trying to go all out for this series, but while most of it is out of my reach, the little I do have I'm trying to be wise with it.

I settled for the 1st cameo appearance of invincible in noble causes family secrets #3 I didnt even go with the variant lol

Which the variant is the 1st cover appearance as well  :)

Speaking of strange academy is it the first with multiple variants that has held the value without moving goal posts?

I get that cover A is the main one still have to wonder if anyone has time for the variants or if it is a novelty gesture?

The only other I can think of would be 1st silk, but it still has less than SA

1 hour ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

It’s crazy that people are paying that much for a reprint that came out almost a year later.

8 minutes ago, bellrules said:

It’s crazy that people are paying that much for a reprint that came out almost a year later.

People pay for the Golden Records reprint and some of the most valuable copper and bronze age books are free giveaways, mail away books, and reprints.

The All no-price variant of Amazing Spider-Man #184 is one of my white whales in the series. Same with Maximum Carnage #1, a reprint that came with the deluxe edition of the video game...

17 minutes ago, bellrules said:

It is getting to where not much surprises many of us in this current market state...

25 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

It is getting to where not much surprises many of us in this current market state...

HAHA, so true. 

I'm more surprised when something isn't expensive now.  Feeling like someone's pulling a fast one on me. 

Patrick

4 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

HAHA, so true. 

I'm more surprised when something isn't expensive now.  Feeling like someone's pulling a fast one on me. 

Patrick

Very true and great point! I feel like high prices are the norm now and when something is unusually low, I'm like what is wrong with this book (condition) and what's the catch? 😂