• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Pulled Interview and Vampire Lestat a while ago to list time to do that I guess. Here's something interesting I found about Lestat. Issues 1-5 in my lot have barcodes, while 6-12 don't. I bought these when they came out, but I don't think I picked them up from a newsstand. Another lot on eBay also have 6-12 without barcodes, and 2-5 with barcodes, so I assume that 2-5 only have a version with barcodes. But issue 1 in that lot doesn't have a barcode, so it appears there are 2 versions of issue #1, at the very least. No confirmation yet on the other issues.

IIRC the Barcodes were distributed to Bookstores and large music chains like Tower Records. I also seem to recall, but could be wrong, that the bar-coded copies are NOT the first printings. From my experiences over the years collecting Lestat is that I've seen them in approx equal numbers. However I'm sure some folks will want to believe the UPC copies are more rare for fi$cal reasons.

P.S. I do not sell comics but has become annoying that my Interview's have been sitting in Sarasota since April, unboxed in June :grumble  

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/6/2021 at 9:50 PM, MAR1979 said:

IIRC the Barcodes were distributed to Bookstores and large music chains like Tower Records. I also seem to recall, but could be wrong, that the bar-coded copies are NOT the first printings. From my experiences over the years collecting Lestat is that I've seen them in approx equal numbers. However I'm sure some folks will want to believe the UPC copies are more rare for fi$cal reasons.

P.S. I do not sell comics but has become annoying that my Interview's have been sitting in Sarasota since April, unboxed in June :grumble  

I checked the indicias and there is no indication of printings on the inside.

Aw geez, are the Innovation Vampire books actually selling? I got a stack of them in a collection I picked up last year. They were dead as a doornail, so I gave them to the wife, who is an Anne Rice fan. She doesn't read comics, but I couldn't sell them, so I thought she'd flip through them and then who knows. I think that Lestat book ended up under the couch. Ah, well. I guess we truly do live in a time when you can't get rid of even the drekkiest drek!

On 12/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, jdandns said:

John Bolton covers are far from drek.

Love John Bolton. Still couldn't give away Lestat/Interview books until recently. Drek is something of a term of endearment around here.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, jdandns said:

Those were super hot at release, but I remember not liking the story or the interior art.

It appears that if you live long enough, everything comes back in to fashion eventually.

This is absolutely true. I remember them being wall books in their heyday. But in recent years they were dollar bin fodder, if even that. But you're 100% right, I should have known better, because everything that even had a whiff of heat in the last 30 years seems to have rebounded somewhat. Except Fish Police. Damn it.

I love Fish Police.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, jdandns said:

Those were super hot at release, but I remember not liking the story or the interior art.

It appears that if you live long enough, everything comes back in to fashion eventually.

I discovered Rice's books toward the end of college in the mid 90s. I think these are a cheap investment that should sell well when the show gets closer  There tons of Ann Rice fans

On 12/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, F For Fake said:

This is absolutely true. I remember them being wall books in their heyday. But in recent years they were dollar bin fodder, if even that. But you're 100% right, I should have known better, because everything that even had a whiff of heat in the last 30 years seems to have rebounded somewhat. Except Fish Police. Damn it.

I love Fish Police.

Fish Police was an excellent series.  I should pull it out and reread it one of these years.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:13 PM, littledoom said:

Sales are coming in white hot. My sales have been ice cold for 2-3 weeks and the past days God has blessed me.

JLA Avengers 1-4 is white hot. On eBay and at the con. It was at the top of the wall. I would estimate about 20-30 ppl asked “how much” after someone finally bought it on day 2 for $100. At the con I left behind JLA/Avengers 2 & 3 beaters for $2 each. Now I’m regretting it. Perez is such a legend. His art is worth every penny. JLA/Avengers was one of the first back issues of my collection in the early 2000s

Wolverine 27 (Jim Lee) & Batman 404 both sold for $50 full price no questions asked in NM raw conditions wow!

Why JLA/Avengers? 

That book seems to jump and drop pretty frequently. 

Patrick

On 12/8/2021 at 10:09 PM, followtheleader said:

Why JLA/Avengers? 

That book seems to jump and drop pretty frequently. 

Patrick

Because it's unlikely to be reprinted, since it requires that 2 mega corporations agree on something, and nostalgia with the announcement that the artist of the book has terminal cancer.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Because it's unlikely to be reprinted, since it requires that 2 mega corporations agree on something, and nostalgia with the announcement that the artist of the book has terminal cancer.

Yikes, I hadn't heard that last part.  

Awful news. 

Patrick

On 12/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I thought there is a very limited hardcover that came out once. I have personally never seen a copy, but have seen them sell on ebay for large amounts. And they look fantastic I would buy one if I found one in the wild. It might the nicest hardcover edition I have ever seen.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/8/2021 at 8:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

you can add Superman MCU Eternals mention.. that 4 issue classic has so much going for it.. It's way better than the DC Versus Marvel 90s series

It was a long-time in the making, as I recall, originally planned (with Perez as artist) in the mid 80's, although it didn't actually become reality until 20 years later.

The fans are clamoring for a reprint to honor the great man, and I hope it happens in time for Perez to see it and he and his family to benefit.