• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I also have one shop semi locally that prices books at the counter from ebay. It's his shop he can do what he wants.
I haven't been back since. Took him another 30 minutes to price the books. If I wanted
to do that I would buy from ebay and not have to leave my house.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, fastballspecial said:

I also have one shop semi locally that prices books at the counter from ebay. It's his shop he can do what he wants.
I haven't been back since. Took him another 30 minutes to price the books. If I wanted

On a related topic, in the 1980s, 1990s, and into the early 2000s; yes, a "long time ago"; every direct sale LCS I purchased from offered a discount on the price of new comic books typically ranging from 10 to 20 percent. I do not recall newsstands where I resided offering a discount. Since then, all the LCS I visit only offer a discount (5 to 10%) if you have a subscription service/pull list with them.

Unfortunately, it was my limited experience many years ago that a great many of the comic books the shops pulled were not "pristine," which I view as NM to NM/M (although 9.4, even 9.6, for almost all new comic books was not a "great" grade and, of course, NM/M did not "exist" in the 1980s and 1990s) but, on average, from 8.0 to 9.2. Whether the grade of store pulled comic books has improved I do not know because the last time I had a pull list was, give or take, 1984.

In sum, I imagine that since the LCS you mention prices based on eBay sold and/or for sale prices they do not offer a discount if, at least, one selects their new comic books from the shelf.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

Daredevil 51 was no where
to be found. I had sold 3 copies in last 2 days was hoping I would find more. Nope not an issue from 51 to 55 to be found

Funny you mention those particular books as I just listed a nice newsstand set on eBay. I appreciate when you give us updates, it’s always informative. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:57 AM, fastballspecial said:

Hit a point that I agree with.  

If stores are doing that, then just use E-bay.  With any patience, you'll get it cheaper.  

I stopped going to multiple shops in Colorado because it got so bad.  As of 2 months ago, I quit buying completely (1st time since 1990).  

It really has me wondering, what is the point of a store?  I can see a very tiny shop with new releases.  But the rest are better served to sell online (FB, E-bay, etc) with minimal overhead and the remainder are often junk.  

On a side note: With multi-collectible stores, are you seeing in-game playing again?  For instance, like Magic and Pokey?  Is there cross-pollination buyers with the different collectibles (meaning, someone is as likely to buy a comic in the shop as buy/play Magic).  My experience on the last is that the collectors are pretty distinctly in their own lanes.  

Patrick

On 12/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, followtheleader said:

Hit a point that I agree with.  

If stores are doing that, then just use E-bay.  With any patience, you'll get it cheaper.  

I stopped going to multiple shops in Colorado because it got so bad.  As of 2 months ago, I quit buying completely (1st time since 1990).  

It really has me wondering, what is the point of a store?  I can see a very tiny shop with new releases.  But the rest are better served to sell online (FB, E-bay, etc) with minimal overhead and the remainder are often junk.  

On a side note: With multi-collectible stores, are you seeing in-game playing again?  For instance, like Magic and Pokey?  Is there cross-pollination buyers with the different collectibles (meaning, someone is as likely to buy a comic in the shop as buy/play Magic).  My experience on the last is that the collectors are pretty distinctly in their own lanes.  

Patrick

Covid has killed in the game playing period in my LCS stores. One of my local shops was one of the strongest in game playing stores in the state. Now currently its almost nothing. It will probably stay that way till this ends as I think they dont want the liability.

I am not sure how much cross over they get. Stores sometimes are unwilling to discuss that or I come in
when they owner isnt there.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, Corona smith said:

Funny you mention those particular books as I just listed a nice newsstand set on eBay. I appreciate when you give us updates, it’s always informative. 

I sold my newsstands way to early. I had no idea this character would blow up like this. 

On 12/11/2021 at 7:45 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:
On 12/11/2021 at 7:33 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

I wonder if part of it is maintaining a good looking inventory on display. If someone every once in a while comes in and pays full price, it's a win for them, and if slabs have been sitting around and they have new ones to show, they can just sell the old ones online.

Yes, I believe that the LCS is displaying the CGC graded comic books to not only sell them but as a draw to, among other things, bring in new and repeat customers, to improve sales, and to, of course, sell them because, as we know, some folks will drop, let's say, $400 on a comic book that you can purchase via another venue for $275, as any retailer worth their salt, comic book dealer or otherwise, does.

Edit: I failed to add that some folks either don't care to look for/find a cheaper price, don't know to, it may be easier for them to purchase it then and there, they can inspect the graded comic book, etc.

Hence the "brick and mortar" benefit and need. :bigsmile:

On 12/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, followtheleader said:

Ennis the Pro? 

Oh man, that should not be on TV.   But I'm all about it.

Patrick

Gotta agree. I don’t think I’ve intentionally watched a tv show in more than 10 years, but if they make The Pro into a show, that’s like an impending train wreck…you know there’s the potential for all kinds of strange ugliness but you can’t not watch.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:26 PM, thehumantorch said:

It had to happen and I can't blame the LCS.  Why would they allow customers to buy hot books for cheap?  The owner of a LCS who has been around for 30 plus years didn't believe in CGC or pressing.  A local flipper bought a SA key off him, pressed, graded and flipped it for 10X what he paid for it.  That LCS owner got religion fast and now does his own pressing and sends tons in to CGC.  These guys aren't dumb and they have tons of suddenly valuable back stock and many opportunities to buy collections from their long time customers.

There is still one store in town that does not slab books..........but they are the outlier. Everyone else does now and has been doing so for a few years. I think it is good for the stores as it will help them survive longer term.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

While I left with a good haul for a days work:manhero: I left thinking this is going to get much harder now. :ohnoez:Probably buying collection in large scale
is going to have a stronger route with me going forward then I really want or speculation faster on books that are more a gamble. I prefer discussing comics with shop owners while looking for books its more enjoyable. :cloud9: Its just the margins are getting tighter. :violin:

Set up a bulk discount rate with a LCS owner in your area and speculate on new books that look like winners. There will be the odd miss, but the vast majority will pan out longer term and cover off the odd miss. Even then, the misses move well in $2 bins at shows since stores are ordering so tight on shelf copies now. That mitigates the downside.

I will say this - right now it is easier to hit pre-order spec wins than in recent years since all publishers are letting everyone know in advance about new characters. And, there are a few creators that are consistent winners with their new books that you just need to follow. The only question is how many copies do you need to order...........

Edited by kimik

On 12/11/2021 at 8:48 PM, divad said:

Hence the "brick and mortar" benefit and need. :bigsmile:

Indeed.

Of course, I, like many other folks posting here and, I believe, especially, if you will, comic book folks who may have never heard of CGC or other comic book grading companies, enjoy the heck out of going to a comic book store. There is something visceral about the experience; intellect be damned.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, fastballspecial said:

I discovered Rice's books toward the end of college in the mid 90s. I think these are a cheap investment that should sell well when the show gets closer  There tons of Ann Rice fans

She certainly was influential. I wonder if the Twilight or True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse) novels, among many others, would've existed without the trail she blazed.

Edited by jdandns