• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 9:11 PM, PeterPark said:

I don't care what something costs, but at least have a price. How else can you decide?

I buy in bulk quality - I would never pick through 34 boxes. If I see a collection with 50% or more well-stored and HG, I usually will pull the trigger on the whole lot. Just my style, I guess. I prefer evaluating the books over time in my own surrounds. :peace:

Edited by divad

On 12/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, divad said:

I buy in bulk quality - I would never pick through 34 boxes. If I see a collection with 50% or more well-stored and HG, I usually will pull the trigger on the whole lot. Just my style, I guess. I prefer evaluating the books over time in my own surrounds. :peace:

Just curious, what pricing do you go by personally? For instance, if they have 50 boxes and most are inventoried through some sort of app or program that calculates the cover price value along with what grade they assign, raw and graded, is there a percentage that you deduct from their proposed value or asking price? I ask because I am in a unique position looking at a collection of 42 boxes equaling approximately 6600 issues at a "value" through the inventory app (comicspriceguide.com) of roughly 75k. Maybe this is more of a pm type of question for you. Any thoughts appreciated and from the photos I have, it appears this person is way "anal" (if that's allowed) about their storage practices. But obviously I would not want to pay that much...yet they are asking for about 20k.

On 12/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Just curious, what pricing do you go by personally? For instance, if they have 50 boxes and most are inventoried through some sort of app or program that calculates the cover price value along with what grade they assign, raw and graded, is there a percentage that you deduct from their proposed value or asking price? I ask because I am in a unique position looking at a collection of 42 boxes equaling approximately 6600 issues at a "value" through the inventory app (comicspriceguide.com) of roughly 75k. Maybe this is more of a pm type of question for you. Any thoughts appreciated and from the photos I have, it appears this person is way "anal" (if that's allowed) about their storage practices. But obviously I would not want to pay that much...yet they are asking for about 20k.

Depends but usually dealers want to pay a nickel or a dime a book or ideally $30-50 a short $70-100 a long

On 12/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, littledoom said:

Depends but usually dealers want to pay a nickel or a dime a book or ideally $30-50 a short $70-100 a long

Yes I might pay a little more if I see that its high grade books, desirable back stock and that are stored well. Show me a box of junk and you get a junk offer.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:
On 12/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, divad said:

Like anyone with a buying advantage, you have the money and they need the money (regardless of the reason). However nice the books are and meticulous they are (which of course is absolutely key,) they need to realize that the collection cannot be sold based upon values generated by an inventory app, regardless of which one they use. Those apps may be used to generate an insurance value, but not an actual resale value. It takes a LOT of work to realize value. Depending upon the age of the books and whether or not the collection has been "pruned" should guide your decision. Even without looking at the books, a seller's estimate is generally at least 200% of the resale value. I have never bought a collection that was indexed, priced, and for example, completely Mylar-ed. That is all value-added work. If that's the case, then I may be interested.

However depressing it may sound, the best position to buy in is that of a recently deceased collector who has left his books either in his parents garage or with his widow (or no one) like the Church collection. :bigsmile: That said, you want to be fair, but you need to consider both sides of the transaction. Not from a collector who doesn't want to do the work to realize full value. :whistle: If they are asking $20k, they are aware of this as well. The $75k estimate is pure puff.  You'll have to actually go and randomly poke through the the collection and do what your gut tells you. You can always say, "No thanks." Q: are they 42 long boxes or short boxes?

On 12/17/2021 at 7:48 AM, littledoom said:

I've paid much more than that for the real deal. :bigsmile:

On 12/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, divad said:

Like anyone with a buying advantage, you have the money and they need the money (regardless of the reason). However nice the books are and meticulous they are (which of course is absolutely key,) they need to realize that the collection cannot be sold based upon values generated by an inventory app, regardless of which one they use. Those apps may be used to generate an insurance value, but not an actual resale value. It takes a LOT of work to realize value. Depending upon the age of the books and whether or not the collection has been "pruned" should guide your decision. Even without looking at the books, a seller's estimate is generally at least 200% of the resale value. I have never bought a collection that was indexed, priced, and for example, completely Mylar-ed. That is all value-added work. If that's the case, then I may be interested.

However depressing it may sound, the best position to buy in is that of a recently deceased collector who has left his books either in his parents garage or with his widow (or no one) like the Church collection. :bigsmile: That said, you want to be fair, but you need to consider both sides of the transaction. Not from a collector who doesn't want to do the work to realize full value. :whistle: If they are asking $20k, they are aware of this as well. The $75k estimate is pure puff.  You'll have to actually go and randomly poke through the the collection and do what your gut tells you. You can always say, "No thanks." Q: are they 42 long boxes or short boxes?

Thank you. Four of them are long and the rest are short. And believe it or not they are all bagged and boarded. I did look at the inventory list and will most likely look at these in person myself because it sounds very similar to the way I have my own collection. The database is the comics price guide which basically gives a value based upon the collectors input and estimated grade. I collect but also grade and sell comics to feed my comic habit of course :) so I definitely have to look at what I would need to do to make profit on the books. They're mostly mid-80s forward.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 12/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

They're mostly mid-80s forward.

If that’s the main age range, and unless there is some amazing stuff in there, I probably wouldn’t pay more than $0.10 - $0.25 a book. A lot of the stuff in the collection will sit and sit and sit, which requires space. If the collection is made up of some valuable and highly liquidable books then of course I’d pay more, but you’ve got to factor in things that don’t easily translate to dollars and cents.  

Also, unless the books were freshly bagged and boarded or kept in an ideal environment, there is a chance you’ll have to rebag and reboard the books. If that’s the case, you’ll have to factor in the time it will take, as well as the cost of supplies and how hard it is to track down in the current supply chain. With the last few collections I’ve bought, this has been the case and is something I factor in when purchasing or making an offer  

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 12/18/2021 at 7:35 AM, Wolverinex said:

Picked up a copy of Odinn's eye 1 to see what all the fuss is about...Man, what a gritty tale...

Consider yourself lucky to have found one. Bad Idea limited the numbers to what was initially pre-ordered as part of the package of the last 5 titles. I imagine most stores only ordered the number of bundles that were paid for, figuring they could increase orders when the books were solicited individually.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Consider yourself lucky to have found one. Bad Idea limited the numbers to what was initially pre-ordered as part of the package of the last 5 titles. I imagine most stores only ordered the number of bundles that were paid for, figuring they could increase orders when the books were solicited individually.

There were 2 copies at my LCS, guess not enough demand

On 12/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Wolverinex said:

There were 2 copies at my LCS, guess not enough demand

Thats exactly it. They are catering to high end speculators. 
I've yet to see a copy from that company on any shelf in 6 cities 
I visit that have shops. And when you ask nobody even knows
a title or cares.

It certainly didn't help their brand development with the stupid stunts they have pulled over the last while.  I don't think any retailer was particularly impressed with how their customers were treated from Bad Idea nor their bizarre demands on distribution and sales practices.   

On 12/18/2021 at 1:01 PM, fastballspecial said:

a title or cares.

Yeah they are certainly rare.  If you have a shop near you, it's an easy flip.  The Odin's eye 1 is selling well online esp since there are only 2500 print run.  The story is pretty good too at 80 pages.  You just have to  jump through  a lot of hoops if you don't have a store nearby.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, fastballspecial said:

a title or cares.

There are two stores here that carry shelf copies in addition to file orders. Valiant has done well here through all of their iterations so it made sense that Bad Idea did as well. 

FWIW, I have their books on my pull list just in case. I might have to actually read one now to see what Odinn's Eye is about. lol 

On 12/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, kimik said:

There are two stores here that carry shelf copies in addition to file orders. Valiant has done well here through all of their iterations so it made sense that Bad Idea did as well. 

FWIW, I have their books on my pull list just in case. I might have to actually read one now to see what Odinn's Eye is about. lol 

Prices have certainly shot up in the last 24 hrs.  Only 13 copies on ebay

On 12/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, Wolverinex said:

Prices have certainly shot up in the last 24 hrs.  Only 13 copies on ebay

And on that one site I mentioned the other day in the Bad Idea thread, they are sold out now.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:08 PM, Wolverinex said:

How much on that site? Last few ranging from $60 to $70 sold today.  Also do u think the remaining issues will hold this premium?

They were going for 9.99 - wish I could tell the future it's so hard to know with speculative plays but it seems to be a great story though I haven't read it yet. Eniac 1 did not hold it's value graded so it's hard to say. Hopefully I can get a few graded before the steam runs out, if that happens, if not then of course that would be nice. 🙂

Edited by CHASEnBLUE