• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

Image Comics Publisher on Sell Outs

Posted on 03/28/12 at 8:11 PM in Articles, Items by Ron Richards 7 Comments

One of the things that causes us comics media to roll our eyes the most is the never ending press releases about comics titles selling out. It seems that many of the comic book publishers are constantly selling out their titles, which of course is a great PR message, but when we see the sales numbers declining across the most of the entire comics industry (with a few exceptions) month after month, it becomes fishy.

Image Comics is no stranger to this tactic, with many of it’s titles (especially recently) selling out at the distributor level. We’ve heard lots of criticism about this in and around the industry and today Image Comics publisher Eric Stephenson spoke out on the topic, and it’s not what you’d think.

In a blog post on his personal blog, Stephenson made the following comments about selling out:

Selling out – it’s great PR, but ultimately, it’s not exactly great business. It creates a roadblock between between readers and the material they want to read, and between retailers and the books they want to sell. In short, it does more harm than good.

Addressing retailer complaints about selling out Saga #1:

A couple retailers have made what I consider to be a fair comment: We should have known a new series by Brian K. Vaughan would do well and could have printed way more than we did.

But using that exact same logic, here’s the thing:

They also could have ordered more.

Shedding light on Image’s publishing strategy:

There’s not a single title we currently publish that is part of some event-oriented marketing scheme. We are not out to create short-term spikes. We lived through that war, and we’ve learnt our lessons well. That’s why we’re committed to publishing the absolute best comics we can, with an eye not just to selling them month-to-month, but over the long haul – as trades and hardcovers that grow sales and keep readers coming back for more.

Bottom line: We all lose when we sell out.

Sure, it gets Image some nice PR, and there’s a lucrative secondary market for sold out books with high demand, but that stuff is fleeting.

We’ve all got the same goal – and that is to get books in the hands of readers.

So let’s do more of that.

For those interested in the behind the scenes/business side of the comics industry, this is a must read as Stephenson shares details of ordering strategies and what the challenge is in terms of being a publisher and meeting demand. If you’ve ever gone to the comic shop and was disappointed because they didn’t have a book you wanted, this could be part of the reason why. It’s no shock that it’s a tough market out there these days, but it’s clear that somewhere along the lines, the system is broke, be it at the publisher level and/or the distributor level and/or the retailer level. It’s refreshing to see behind the curtain though to see how these things work and you can’t help but wonder if the other publishers (Marvel and DC) are having the same frustrations.

Think about it. If Image is having a hard time meeting demand, that’s because the retailers and Diamond aren’t accurately communicating to them what that demand is. Every time someone goes to a store and the store doesn’t have the book they came looking for, there’s a better than good chance that that store lost a potential, long term customer. Especially if they’re a Brian K. Vaughan fan. They’re in it for the long haul. Imagine if everyone who went to the comic shop could get what they wanted. Would it be such a rough marketplace then?

http://ifanboy.com/articles/image-comics-publisher-on-sell-outs/

That's it!

These Walking Dead speculators have taken it too far.

Now they are starting to bid up books that affect me.

(check my signature line for my collection, but remember it is marked a spoiler for a reason)

A recent NM #48 hit $45.

Someone needs to stop them.

Better start with the weekly version now :sorry:

That's it!

These Walking Dead speculators have taken it too far.

Now they are starting to bid up books that affect me.

(check my signature line for my collection, but remember it is marked a spoiler for a reason)

A recent NM #48 hit $45.

Someone needs to stop them.

Better start with the weekly version now :sorry:

i grabbed up some weekly today, all NM. Need to buy a few fillers then dump a couple runs for sale.

I understand that Image Comics titles America’s Got Powers #1, Danger Club #1, Secret #1, Hell Yeah #2, Bloodstrike #26, Supreme #63, Darkness #101, Saga #2, Thief Of Thieves #3 and Manhattan Projects #2 have all sold out before publication, and will see second prints running through April and May.

They join other recently announced sell outs and second and third prints for the likes of Invincible #89, Fatale #3, Peter Panzerfaust #2, Prophet #23, Glory #24, Thief Of Thieves #2, Hell Yeah #1, Rebel Blood #1, The Manhattan Projects #1 and Saga #1 – the latter two have gone to third print, with Saga #1 second print being significantly allocated as a result if increasing demand

any word on the hottness of Skullkickers #1?

I understand that Image Comics titles America’s Got Powers #1, Danger Club #1, Secret #1, Hell Yeah #2, Bloodstrike #26, Supreme #63, Darkness #101, Saga #2, Thief Of Thieves #3 and Manhattan Projects #2 have all sold out before publication, and will see second prints running through April and May.

They join other recently announced sell outs and second and third prints for the likes of Invincible #89, Fatale #3, Peter Panzerfaust #2, Prophet #23, Glory #24, Thief Of Thieves #2, Hell Yeah #1, Rebel Blood #1, The Manhattan Projects #1 and Saga #1 – the latter two have gone to third print, with Saga #1 second print being significantly allocated as a result if increasing demand

Not Hot ... someone has been selling a 9.8 CCG for 29.99 for 19 days on ebay. I've not read the title, but plenty of people have said they enjoy it. For whatever reason it just hasn't took off.

lol

I'm not sure which is more entertaining. Watching the large influx of people determined to watch their money go up in smoke or watching you be ignored while you warn them.

lol

I'm not sure which is more entertaining. Watching the large influx of people determined to watch their money go up in smoke or watching you be ignored while you warn them.

I'm still in shock that Thief of Thieves 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $80 ... I can't believe I didn't send my small stack to CGC ... I was convinced that I wouldn't even get my money back w/ two variants and an awful first issue. Did you check out the Image exec trying to blame retailers and consumers for the sell outs and trying to convince people that the sell outs were bad for the publisher? I don't know what shocked me more that press release or the Thief of Thieves sale.

27 :whistle:

lol

I'm still in shock that Thief of Thieves 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $80 ... I can't believe I didn't send my small stack to CGC ... I was convinced that I wouldn't even get my money back w/ two variants and an awful first issue. Did you check out the Image exec trying to blame retailers and consumers for the sell outs and trying to convince people that the sell outs were bad for the publisher? I don't know what shocked me more that press release or the Thief of Thieves sale.

Wow yeah i saw that today i sold the other 2 ToT 9.8s early in the month. I think i will send off the rest of my ToT now and see if i cant make some more money.

27 :whistle:

dang, was gonna throw that in there but decided on subtlety.

Only image titles?

Does seem like Image is turning out the best stuff.

The examples seem to be over speculated image flops. :facepalm:

Saga, Manhattan Projects, & Fatale are going to suceed as titles. Hell Yeah has a lot of potential. I'm not certain that Glory, Prophet or Supreme will go anywhere but they have strong creators working on the books and a number of people whose opinions I respect are excited about these titles. I think No Place Like Home could take off. I don't know that Peter Panzerfaust will go anywhere, but I enjoyed it enough to keep reading. Thief of Thieves and Invincible are written by my favorite writer in comics and I'll support them. I didn't buy Rebel Blood and there weren't any copies at my LCS so I'll wait to hear more about it before I pick it up. Image is enjoying a renaisance or sorts, and I'm happy about it. It's nice to see Image matching good writers with good artists. The relatively low print runs are making the books more excited than they would be if they were available in large numbers like Marvel and DC books. I think its short sighted to describe them as flops. I imagine that your description was more hyperbole than anything else, but I'm interested in hearing why you think they are or will inevitably flop. Again a Thief of Thieves 1 CGC 9.8 sold for $80 and it was one of the worst written issues of the bunch (although I will say that issue 2 was considerably better).