• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

Yeah, I went around to the four LCSs that I frequent here in Studio City / Burbank / Glendale area of Los Angeles. All were out of WD issues prior to 90, and actually difficult to find some of those issues in the 90s. I take that back, one had a bunch of issues between 50 and current, but in ratty condition.

I really was going around to find Suicide Squad 6 and 7. Nope! Only found one copy of 6 (1st printing) and two copies of 7 (which just came out last week for pete's sake! (shrug) ). I have a feeling the issues were severely under-ordered.

Only found 1 copy of Invincible 89. Mind you, I'm talking about four different comic shops with all this.

Well ...... mabye just mabye our hobby is not on its last legs after all.

lol

The guys who bought 50 copies of Superman 75, saying they were going to put their kids through college when they sell them, look like the keepers of the flame at this point.

Just so this thread isnt about WD all the time a couple of books that are already on fire and one is really starting to break out.

X-men 128 - Cant keep the book in stock. Sells like wildfire in high grade and its a pain in to find in high grade due to black cover. This book will really blow up if Phantomex gets a series which he will probably get in the future. X23 all over again this time with a better character.

New Mutants 98 - Sold a NM- copy in under a day I think.

X-men 128 - Cant keep the book in stock. Sells like wildfire in high grade and its a pain in to find in high grade due to black cover. This book will really blow up if Phantomex gets a series which he will probably get in the future. X23 all over again this time with a better character.

Have a picture of the cover so I know what to look for?

Found 2 copys of New X-Men # 128 and 129 for a dollar each at a Craigslist private sale at someones home. Pulled a lot of good books out for a dollar each.

4 total and I wouldn't have used any for the bottom of my cats litter box.

Reminds me of back in the day...when the Clone Saga was as hot as WD is now, and at a convention the dealer next to me, after watching me sell through a dozen copies of ASM #149 at just stupid prices, traded me his entire booth (6 long boxes of books, 25 sets of cards, and 2 dozen carded action figures) + $75 for my last copy of #149 which was no better than F/VF.

You have to love how insane some people can get in this hobby. lol

Wow, that was you? I ended up selling that #149 about a half hour later for $250. Made some dough and got to head home early that day. (thumbs u

Oddly, it was at the end of the show. The guy's girlfriend was making him sell everything, she even had a nice little jar that she kept his wang in....was that you? :o

:( Yeah. That was me. But things are much better now...

i could see grabbing 1-27 (high grade) of the weeklys but not sure i'd want the latter part of the series at cover price. (30+) are just selling for around $1 over cover. If you can find them for less than cover go for it but if you're dumping them on ebay after fees not really worth it.

Not sure the Weeklys are something you put back and sit on.

Edited by krighton

Just so this thread isnt about WD all the time a couple of books that are already on fire and one is really starting to break out.

Don't forget New X-Men 129 is his first cover...

Anyone else been following Web of Spiderman 119? Not that many on ebay as of last night and I can't find a copy anywhere. With Kaine becoming Scarlet Spider, think this will sustain?

Edited b/c I see mycomicshop has some issues for around $2 up now. I guess the $24 sale was an anomaly.

Edited by aggr1103

lol

The guys who bought 50 copies of Superman 75, saying they were going to put their kids through college when they sell them, look like the keepers of the flame at this point.

I was thinking the same thing.

I admit, I got out of WD too early by the looks of it when I thought I was probably getting out of it at its peak. If I still had the collection now then I would be quids in.

You win some, you lose some.

lol

I admit, I got out of WD too early by the looks of it when I thought I was probably getting out of it at its peak. If I still had the collection now then I would be quids in.

The only things worse than getting out too early are getting in too late and getting OUT too late.

In the grand scheme of things your pain is incredibly less so than the other two groups will be.

lol

my brother's father in law bought a boatload of comics when my nephew was born to help pay for his college- stack of Robin #1's. needless to say, he wouldn't be able to buy lunch in the commissary w/ what they're worth.

lol

The only things worse than getting out too early are getting in too late and getting OUT too late.

In the grand scheme of things your pain is incredibly less so than the other two groups will be.

+1 A few years back, I attended an investment seminar. On thing stuck with me. The guy drew a curve on the white board and drew a line near the top and the bottom. He said you don't have to try to be in the the first 10% to get in or the last 10% to get out of a rising stock, but anywhere in the middle you will make money. If you bought WD #1 for $50 and sold for $300, you still made an amazing return. The real trick is knowing where those 10%'s lie but if you give yourself a little room for flexibility, you will take some of the pressure off yourself.

But alas, I agree with thousands of previous posters that if you treat this like an investment, you will rob yourself of the joy of the hobby. As a collector, I feel your pain.

lol

+1 A few years back, I attended an investment seminar. On thing stuck with me. The guy drew a curve on the white board and drew a line near the top and the bottom. He said you don't have to try to be in the the first 10% to get in or the last 10% to get out of a rising stock, but anywhere in the middle you will make money. If you bought WD #1 for $50 and sold for $300, you still made an amazing return. The real trick is knowing where those 10%'s lie but if you give yourself a little room for flexibility, you will take some of the pressure off yourself.

Bulls make money.

Bears make money.

Pigs get slaughtered.

What are you selling the 128s at?

i've got plenty of Xmen 128 129. Actually had a boardie put in a best offer on ebay today and then retract it an hour later. He's a swell fella. How do you enter wrong amount of $24 for a $35 best offer auction?