• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

More for us.

I personally would only want to have the All Star #3 in my collection.If I had the opportunity to have one that was pressed or one that wasn't I would opt for the unpressed.Nothing wrong with people who press their books,just not for me.

Oakman, how many slabbed books do you own? If you own any type of slabbed key or semi-key, there is a good chance you own a pressed book and don't know it.

I own 65 slabbed books,not many I know.Most of my books are raw.

65 is alot more than I own. Whenever I buy a slabbed book, I just assume it is pressed, especially if it is a key or semi-key or has a value above $500.00.

More for us.

I personally would only want to have the All Star #3 in my collection.If I had the opportunity to have one that was pressed or one that wasn't I would opt for the unpressed.Nothing wrong with people who press their books,just not for me.

Oakman, how many slabbed books do you own? If you own any type of slabbed key or semi-key, there is a good chance you own a pressed book and don't know it.

65 is alot more than I own. Whenever I buy a slabbed book, I just assume it is pressed, especially if it is a key or semi-key or has a value above $500.00.

The percentages are in favor of it, but it is not an absolute.

More for us.

:idea: ....I just had an idea. If you could only invent an "unpressing" device....maybe with some sort of vacuum pump....you could stand a chance of doing the impossible, making EVERYONE happy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

More for us.

I agree completely. Best way to make an educated guess is to call for notes. If there are one or more "pressable" defects, there is a good chance it is not pressed. Another way is hand a book to an expert in the field, such as yourself. Since you deal with thousands of books, I'm sure you have a pretty good rate of telling if a book has been pressed or not.

I understand what you are saying. If I had the opportunity to have one that was owned by an exterminator or one that wasn't, I would opt for the one that wasn't owned by an exterminator.

The chemicals they could be indirectly exposed to COULD have a harmful effect on paper.

I know the jury is still out on whether those could be harmful, but there is enough of an "if" factor for me to want to avoid those books. There's nothing wrong with exterminators owning books, it's just not for me.

lol

You can call it pressing, restoration, conservation, Implants, Billy-Jo, or whatever you want. It's most certainly manipulation and that's ok! Just not in my collection.

I 100% agree. (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure you would both be more than happy to have these in your collections...

mm4.jpg

allstar3.jpg

ddhitler.jpg

mm33.jpg

whiz19.jpg

superman9.jpg

Not really a G.A guy,but if they were pressed I would not want them.

Just so you know...

Bought the Marvel 4 with the assumption that it was pressed. It used to be an 8.0. At the time I bought it the next highest was a 6.5. Also I had owned it previous to Cage (I sold it indirectly to him) so I knew what an outstanding copy it was, press or no press.

Got the All Star from a boardie who I know had pressed it before having it graded. It is the Detroit Trolley.

The DD Battles Hitler was an interesting story. I was attending a Heritage auction sitting with Matt when this book came up. It was a PLOD 8.5 slight. I mentioned to Matt that the color looked like it could easily come off. It was very minor in the color break that is so common on golden age books. We worked out a deal as he was bidding. He won the lot and the book turned out gorgeous.

The Marvel 33 was another Cage book which had come from me. That book was graded 8.0 or 8.5 the first time around. A travesty. It was, and is, one of the nicest books in the Cage run. I was the underbidder (to Heritage) then, but won it as a 9.2. I'm so happy to have it but it did cause some friction.

Bought the Whiz 19 raw from a boardie. It is the Detroit Trolley copy. It was originally sold by Marnin as a 7.5. I had Matt press it. Why? Because I wanted to. I love the book.

Bought the Superman 9 recently here. It was bought with full disclosure.

I understand that you are not a golden age fan. That's cool. I also understand that you do not like pressed books. That is also cool. But please understand that with rarer comics, and especially golden age, the idea of passing on a book simply because it may have been pressed could mean doing without that comic - ever. And I don't understand the concept of foregoing the experience of acquiring a high grade, beautiful looking, rare old comic book simply because some pressure was applied to it.

I understand what you are saying. If I had the opportunity to have one that was owned by an exterminator or one that wasn't, I would opt for the one that wasn't owned by an exterminator.

The chemicals they could be indirectly exposed to COULD have a harmful effect on paper.

I know the jury is still out on whether those could be harmful, but there is enough of an "if" factor for me to want to avoid those books. There's nothing wrong with exterminators owning books, it's just not for me.

You know, that's a perfect suggestion! I'll have to remember that...Right now, I only try and avoid books that have been smoked:)

Oh wait, an exterminator can get rid of silver fish... hm

Darn;)

You know, that's a perfect suggestion! I'll have to remember that...Right now, I only try and avoid books that have been smoked:)

Darn;)

I hate flagged books.

Bropper and Cronze, Bropper and Cronze

Ev'ryone wishes for Bropper and Cronze

How do you measure its worth?

Just by the pleasure it gives here on earth.

Bropper and Cronze, Bropper and Cronze

Mean so much more when I see

Bropper and Cronze protestations

In ev'ry Christmas thread.

More for us.

:idea: ....I just had an idea. If you could only invent an "unpressing" device....maybe with some sort of vacuum pump....you could stand a chance of doing the impossible, making EVERYONE happy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hm

Some sort of vacuum pump? No weights or pulleys? Guaranteed results? Makes everyone satisfied?

More for us.

exactly. unless oakman slabbed his own original owner books, he's likely to have 65 pressed books. i guess he'll put them up for sale now. hope he has some on my sig line!!

More for us.

I agree completely. Best way to make an educated guess is to call for notes. If there are one or more "pressable" defects, there is a good chance it is not pressed. Another way is hand a book to an expert in the field, such as yourself. Since you deal with thousands of books, I'm sure you have a pretty good rate of telling if a book has been pressed or not.

there you go; every time i have my eye on a book, i'm going to start calling in for notes. like i'm not already spending too much time with this hobby.

Darn;)

hooked on the horns of a dilemma; i feel for you sha'---and happy holidays!!

More for us.

there you go; every time i have my eye on a book, i'm going to start calling in for notes. like i'm not already spending too much time with this hobby.

Seems that is an option that has now gone the way of the Dodo.

I tried to return a comic at a Brentano's but it had been flagged as having been in the bathroom. No biggie, I then sold it to Bedrock. :banana:

I love that book :cloud9: