• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

If I had a stack of early 90s Image comics, buried them far beneath the surface and let mother earth's natural heat and pressure guide them to an alternate state, would I have diamonds, cubic zirconium, or diamonique in a few millions years?

You just might if you burned them first.

That's what mother earth's heat is for. :baiting:

On the other hand, I'm not sure they'd burn. hm

Perhaps the diamonds we cherish so much were once a couple of skids of Image comics from a long lost utopian society from a million years ago. hm

Anything is possible.

If I had a stack of early 90s Image comics, buried them far beneath the surface and let mother earth's natural heat and pressure guide them to an alternate state, would I have diamonds, cubic zirconium, or diamonique in a few millions years?

Perhaps the diamonds we cherish so much were once a couple of skids of Image comics from a long lost utopian society from a million years ago. hm

Unlikely. 'Utopia' and 'image comics' are mutually exclusive.

Unless Image comics caused the destruction of the utopia. hm

sometimes i hear people talking about pressing a comic book .. what is that exactly and does it affect grade count as restoration and affect value of comic ????

To press a book you just need to get a 400 lb woman all hot and sweating and have her sit on the comic for about 30 minutes and it will be magically in perfect condition. :cool:

Unless Image comics caused the destruction of the utopia. hm

hm I can see that.

sometimes i hear people talking about pressing a comic book .. what is that exactly and does it affect grade count as restoration and affect value of comic ????

To press a book you just need to get a 400 lb woman all hot and sweating and have her sit on the comic for about 30 minutes and it will be magically in perfect condition. :cool:

Shows how much you know about comics, pressing, and women.

I'm sorry,but I will never knowingly buy a pressed book.Nor wood I have a book pressed. :popcorn:

Speaking of wood - if I have an antique file cabinet that has a bunch of small surface dents and dings - would it be unethical for me to steam out the small imperfections and clean the surface?

There's a difference between thinking pressing is restoration is and thinking it is unethical. If I had an Action 1 and it was to my financial benefit to have it restored, I might do so.

And it would also be to my financial benefit to get it slabbed. And that's where it gets murky. CGC cannot reliably and consistently detect pressing (nor do they try). And since they don't look for it, they can't apply the purple label. Therefore pressing is no longer considered restoration. It damn sure used to be, and still is with most paper collectibles.

For my personal collection, I don't press or buy pressed if I can help it.

I'm sorry,but I will never knowingly buy a pressed book.Nor wood I have a book pressed. :popcorn:

Speaking of wood - if I have an antique file cabinet that has a bunch of small surface dents and dings - would it be unethical for me to steam out the small imperfections and clean the surface?

There's a difference between thinking pressing is restoration is and thinking it is unethical. If I had an Action 1 and it was to my financial benefit to have it restored, I might do so.

And it would also be to my financial benefit to get it slabbed. And that's where it gets murky. CGC cannot reliably and consistently detect pressing (nor do they try). And since they don't look for it, they can't apply the purple label. Therefore pressing is no longer considered restoration. It damn sure used to be, and still is with most paper collectibles.

I guess I'll always be surprised at how many people are militantly anti-pressing, for what seems to be personal and ambiguous reasons - other than calling it "restoration". Taking a comic book that's been folded in half from a subscription crease and laying it flat inside of bag/board is technically "restoration", since you are "restoring" it to it's previously flat state after it's been damaged. There has to be varying degrees of establishing how you care for a comic and how it affects it - and the physical equivalent of putting weight on them to flatten them out seems pretty low on the list.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just saying as an outsider and new person on the boards, the fight against pressing just seems way overboard. Like most debate-able topics - no one can seem to find the middle ground, so the pressing issue goes on...

I guess I'll always be surprised at how many people are militantly anti-pressing, for what seems to be personal and ambiguous reasons - other than calling it "restoration". Taking a comic book that's been folded in half from a subscription crease and laying it flat inside of bag/board is technically "restoration", since you are "restoring" it to it's previously flat state after it's been damaged. There has to be varying degrees of establishing how you care for a comic and how it affects it - and the physical equivalent of putting weight on them to flatten them out seems pretty low on the list.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just saying as an outsider and new person on the boards, the fight against pressing just seems way overboard. Like most debate-able topics - no one can seem to find the middle ground, so the pressing issue goes on...

No fight,just a personal preference.I don't care if people press their books,it's just something that I prefer not to have.I would hope if a book that is for sale and pressed be revealed before the sale though.

Shows how much you know about comics, pressing, and women.

Suppose, instead, that I have the 400 pound woman sit on my face so that I can magically forget about pressing (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I have had books pressed that were for my own collection....it depends on the book....usually for waves only. I had a restored book pressed a while back to make it nicer. I've had books pressed by joeypost ( :cloud9: ) that still look unpressed, not flattened to wafer thin state, which I don't prefer. Joe does a GREAT job. If any of you avoid pressed books simply because you think you SHOULD, but don't have any basis in first hand experience....you owe it to yourself to send him one sharp but wavy book to see for yourself. I'm saying this as a friend.

No fight,just a personal preference.I don't care if people press their books,it's just something that I prefer not to have.I would hope if a book that is for sale and pressed be revealed before the sale though.

So my question is, Oak - what is it about pressing that turns you off about it? I'm curious, and I know you'll give me a legitimate answer.

There's more to pressing than putting pressure on comics to flatten them out. The process involves heat, moisture and pressure. The testing of the affects pressing has on the paper is in it's early stages. I won't knowingly purchase any pressed books for my personal collection until it has been proven that pressing doesn't damage the book.

So my question is, Oak - what is it about pressing that turns you off about it? I'm curious, and I know you'll give me a legitimate answer.

In my opinion pressing is manipulating a book to a former state,restoration.Whether CGC can detect it or not doesn't matter to me,what matters is that it is restoration in my opinion.I don't like pressed books because I don't want restored books.I also am not against restoration,given the right book to preserve.An Action 1 or Tec 27 I would want to preserve a book such as that,so restoration could benefit.

In my opinion pressing is manipulating a book to a former state,restoration.Whether CGC can detect it or not doesn't matter to me,what matters is that it is restoration in my opinion.I don't like pressed books because I don't want restored books.I also am not against restoration,given the right book to preserve.An Action 1 or Tec 27 I would want to preserve a book such as that,so restoration could benefit.

Gotcha. I guess that is the argument for disclosure - some people don't want to have those books in their collection, so it's considerate to disclose if a book has been pressed or not.

Gotcha. I guess that is the argument for disclosure - some people don't want to have those books in their collection, so it's considerate to disclose if a book has been pressed or not.

I'm not a seller,or dealer,just a collector.When I purchase a book it's for my own collection not to flip or sell,so I want a book I can be happy with, that's all. (thumbs u

Taking a comic book that's been folded in half from a subscription crease and laying it flat inside of bag/board is technically "restoration", since you are "restoring" it to it's previously flat state after it's been damaged.

That is not technically or even theoretically restoration. You have not restored it to a previous state by putting in a bag/board. The inherent structure of the book is not impacted. Take it out of the bag and you have a book with a sub crease. You have not altered the book.

There's more to pressing than putting pressure on comics to flatten them out. The process involves heat, moisture and pressure. The testing of the affects pressing has on the paper is in it's early stages. I won't knowingly purchase any pressed books for my personal collection until it has been proven that pressing doesn't damage the book.

Didn't the scientific analysis that was done prove that pressing actually improved the book?

Was that whole thing swept under the rug or is short term memory not being fully utilized?

Didn't the scientific analysis that was done prove that pressing actually improved the book?

Was that whole thing swept under the rug or is short term memory not being fully utilized?

Nothing was proven. It was agreed by those involved the sample was too small to do anything other than indicate further tests may be warranted.

Nothing was proven. It was agreed by those involved the sample was too small to do anything other than indicate further tests may be warranted.

That and the added moisture actually improved the hydrogen bonds in the paper and therefore made it more flexible.