• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

There's more to pressing than putting pressure on comics to flatten them out. The process involves heat, moisture and pressure. The testing of the affects pressing has on the paper is in it's early stages. I won't knowingly purchase any pressed books for my personal collection until it has been proven that pressing doesn't damage the book.

Didn't the scientific analysis that was done prove that pressing actually improved the book?

Was that whole thing swept under the rug or is short term memory not being fully utilized?

Nothing was proven. It was agreed by those involved the sample was too small to do anything other than indicate further tests may be warranted.

The counter argument is valid as well. Nothing was proven that pressing does damage a book.

There's more to pressing than putting pressure on comics to flatten them out. The process involves heat, moisture and pressure. The testing of the affects pressing has on the paper is in it's early stages. I won't knowingly purchase any pressed books for my personal collection until it has been proven that pressing doesn't damage the book.

Didn't the scientific analysis that was done prove that pressing actually improved the book?

Was that whole thing swept under the rug or is short term memory not being fully utilized?

Nothing was proven. It was agreed by those involved the sample was too small to do anything other than indicate further tests may be warranted.

The counter argument is valid as well. Nothing was proven that pressing does damage a book.

From what I remember the book WAS nicer.It didnt hurt the book at all.

I wasn't making an argument. It was stated the tests proved pressing was beneficial. I was simply pointing out nothing was proved due to the small sample size. (shrug)

Yes, of course, and masturbation is good for you too! lol

Is the world still flat where you live David?

It's pretty damn good for me. :hi:

Taking a comic book that's been folded in half from a subscription crease and laying it flat inside of bag/board is technically "restoration", since you are "restoring" it to it's previously flat state after it's been damaged.

That is not technically or even theoretically restoration. You have not restored it to a previous state by putting in a bag/board. The inherent structure of the book is not impacted. Take it out of the bag and you have a book with a sub crease. You have not altered the book.

But earlier you said...

Again, preserving an existing condition is not the same as reverting to a previous condition. And reverting to a previous condition is restoration. It may be quite benign restoration but it is restoration.

:idea: So flattening out a sub-creased copy, which was previously folded in half, is technically restoration.

Whether a press is good or bad for the comic aside, what about the possibility of damage, especially at the staples ? I have brought this up on the boards several times without much response though I always seem to get some PM's with personal experiences.

Whether a press is good or bad for the comic aside, what about the possibility of damage, especially at the staples ? I have brought this up on the boards several times without much response though I always seem to get some PM's with personal experiences.

Yes, let's talk damage.

What about all the covers ruined by tape pulls? What about all the books that get torn attempting to place them in open top Mylars? What about the books that get caught in the seam when the inner well is sealed at CGC?

There's inherent risk every time you work with a comic book; from bagging and boarding, to putting them in Mylars, to having books CGCed. To single out staple pops from pressing is prejudicial.

I'm posting right now to give this thread more Ph. D. credence. I am enjoying this thread - very educational.

Balls give everything more credence.

:ohnoez:

Taking a comic book that's been folded in half from a subscription crease and laying it flat inside of bag/board is technically "restoration", since you are "restoring" it to it's previously flat state after it's been damaged.

That is not technically or even theoretically restoration. You have not restored it to a previous state by putting in a bag/board. The inherent structure of the book is not impacted. Take it out of the bag and you have a book with a sub crease. You have not altered the book.

But earlier you said...

Again, preserving an existing condition is not the same as reverting to a previous condition. And reverting to a previous condition is restoration. It may be quite benign restoration but it is restoration.

:idea: So flattening out a sub-creased copy, which was previously folded in half, is technically restoration.

The good Dr had the Balls to suggest putting a book in a board/mylar so the sub-crease does not seem to show is reverting to its original condition. You did not flatten out the crease IN THE BOOK by just bagging/boarding it. The crease is till there. Just more difficult to discern while it is in the bag. You did not alter the condition of the book. You did not revert the book's condition to a previous state. It remains in the same state. That is what "reverting to a previous condition" means. The book did not revert. As I said, take it out of the bag and the crease remains.

One may as well say the book has been "re-glossed" (a ridiculous term) by putting it in mylar because it looks shinier there.

But earlier you said...

The good Dr had the Balls to suggest putting a book in a board/mylar so the sub-crease does not seem to show is reverting to its original condition. You did not flatten out the crease IN THE BOOK by just bagging/boarding it. The crease is till there. Just more difficult to discern while it is in the bag. You did not alter the condition of the book. You did not revert the book's condition to a previous state. It remains in the same state. That is what "reverting to a previous condition" means. The book did not revert. As I said, take it out of the bag and the crease remains.

One may as well say the book has been "re-glossed" (a ridiculous term) by putting it in mylar because it looks shinier there.

Well then if you pressed it the color breaking crease line would still be there so it also couldn't be considered restored since it would still be in the same condition, only harder to discern.

Nothing was proven or swept under the rug. A much larger round of testing will most likely take place next year.

But earlier you said...

Well then if you pressed it the color breaking crease line would still be there so it also couldn't be considered restored since it would still be in the same condition, only harder to discern.

For people who feel pressing is a form of restoration, the pressed book would be considered restored. For those who do not, the pressed book would not be considered restored.

Success is not a determination of whether it has been restored.

But earlier you said...

For people who feel pressing is a form of restoration, the pressed book would be considered restored. For those who do not, the pressed book would not be considered restored.

Success is not a determination of whether it has been restored.

Success or failure has no bearing on the point being made. You have three states being compared here...a comic which is folded in half, a comic which has been flattened by hand and placed in a bag and a board, and a comic which has been further flattened by use of a press. No mention of grade, but the assumption is that a complete vertical color breaking crease results the same grade on all three books. Your claim is that only the latter is considered restored because it was "reverted to a previous condition". In this instance it was not. Therefore it must not be restored.

Popped staples are always a risk. If you know what you are doing the risk can be greatly minimized. I pass on pressing many books becasue I know the staples are just waiting for that extra pound or two of pressure to go "pop". But, I can honestly say the same can happen if the owner decided to open the book to read it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

As long as CGC doesn't consider it restoration (I don't know enough to know if pressing can be consistently detected) then there is another factor that contributes to the motivation to press.

Each individual draws the line on where they stand and I respect their opinion.

From Classics Inc:

What exactly is pressing and how did it begin?

Pressing removes minor defects from comic books, such as dents, folds and bends to make the comic appear flatter and less flawed. Because CGC’s grading system is based on point deductions for each defect, pressing can possibly raise the grade, and thus value, of a comic book.

In a general sense, pressing has been around since the beginning of comic book collecting. Crude and simple methods of pressing were employed in the beginning, with little thought given to long term effects. By the ‘80s pressing became more sophisticated, serving as part of the evolving restoration process. In the ‘90s pressing became linked to water and solvent cleaning (hence the catch phrase “cleaning and pressing”) as general cleaning broke away from the restoration process. Some did not consider cleaning and pressing to be restoration during this time.

That all changed when CGC entered the market in 2000. CGC immediately considered water or solvent cleaning to be restoration. This left pressing as the sole technique allowed on unrestored comic books. We were in the restoration business at that time, but recognized the massive potential of pressing, and immediately set about developing a process that maximized its effect and minimized the hazards while (most importantly) adhering to CGC grading standards.

We’re proud to say that a decade later we are the true leader in comic book pressing. Our secret, multi-step process has been modified and honed through thousands of hours of research and pressing tens of thousands of comic books. The ultimate key to successful pressing is to understand how it relates to CGC’s grading standards, which we have achieved through thousands of CGC submissions each year.

One misnomer about pressing is that it is easy; this is based on peoples’ awareness of unsophisticated pressing techniques from prior decades. It results in poor, ineffectual pressing that can adversely affect your comic books. There are people who claim to press comics today that in fact have very little experience under their belt. Given the many variables involved with pressing—Golden Age vs. Silver Age vs. Moderns, DC vs. Marvel, low grade vs. high grade, tanned pages vs. white pages, the countless combination of defects—there is no simple way to press a book. It is important that you consider who has invested the most time and effort into how to account for these variables to insure your books safely reach their full potential.