• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

It is a form of resto, IMO.

I'm (usually) not a d-bag and I have a life , so........

off. (thumbs u

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

It is a form of resto, IMO.

I'm (usually) not a d-bag and I have a life , so........

off. (thumbs u

Maybe I need to reread this thread it appears I glanced over a post or two before I made my last statement.

On a side note I have a few books with Joey I can't wait to see back in my possession. This is my third time pressing books and I have liked the results so far.

If a book is not lying in a state of rest there is the possibility for damage.

Even in a state of rest something could fall on it.

I thought about that, but as soon as something hits it, it's no longer in a state of rest during that moment.

;)

I thought about that, but as soon as something hits it, it's no longer in a state of rest during that moment.

;)

WTF

;)

WTF

Oh! You guys are just silly. :insane:

One of the reasons I enjoy discussing this with you is that you do have a very thorough understanding of all the technical aspects of the various processes. And you are thoughtful in responding.

From my perspective it is the labeling of pressing as restoration that creates some of the misconceptions. To me pressing is just a process to flatten the book. That process is not restorative (again, from my perspective). It just flattens the book. Whether it is detectable or not does change that for me. It just means that a) the book had defects which were not able to be flattened (color breaking creases, dust shadows), or b) the book was pressed incorrectly thus creating new defects. This may be a bad analogy but I liken it to reading a comic. Some people read them in such a way that it is undetectable that the comic has been read. Others read them so that it is very obvious that some passionate reading was taking place. Now I am not advocating that folks press their comics. And I understand that some would prefer their comics not be pressed, though I think that many of those hold that preference specifically because they are under the impression that pressing is a form of restoration (the great circle of life). In other words some have a problem with pressing simply because others categorize it a restoration, not because of anything inherently wrong with the process itself.

Why thank you. I appreciate that. And the part I bolded in your quote (pardon the liberty!) expresses perfectly what I have been trying to say on the boards for a long time.

Take a process and call it restoration and many will reject it. Take the same process and say it is not restoration and many of the same people will accept it. You are right. The word restoration itself brings such negative connotations that many see the word and are controlled by it. Accepting or rejecting a process because somewhere it is or is not termed restoration.

Again, I understand the monetary impact, but even that monetary impact is often governed by fear/dislike of the word "restoration".

Debates over pressing, staples cleaned and dry cleaning are still going on. Even if the word "restoration" were removed from all of them, it does not change the process that has been done to the book. I really do not understand it, beyond the monetary aspect.

I really do not understand it, beyond the monetary aspect.

The process adds to the visual appeal.

So does waxing a car but it isn't considered restoration. If you replace parts, pull/fill dents, then it will be restoration. Pressing a book, my opinion, is the same as waxing a car. The same goes for dry cleaning (if done right).

So does waxing a car but it isn't considered restoration. If you replace parts, pull/fill dents, then it will be restoration. Pressing a book, my opinion, is the same as waxing a car. The same goes for dry cleaning (if done right).

I understand what you are saying, but cars are made of metal and plastic. Wax would not have a harmful affect on them. Water and heat COULD have a harmful affect on paper.

I know the jury is mixed on whether those could be harmful, but there is enough of an "if" factor.

I mean...does anyone take their comics in the shower with them?

As for looking better, I had one book pressed by Joey, he really did a beautiful job...I had 3 pressed elsewhere that looked like a badly ironed shirt.

Personally, I don't care what you call it, restoration or not...it's just something I'd like to be aware of...and my feeling IS (and I could be wrong) that if it's not called "restoration" then more people would feel they didn't have to disclose the process.

Actually, pressing out dents on cars is not considered restoration in the automotive industry.

Paintless/invisible dent removal is a common practice in dealerships and it happens to 1000's of cars every day.

Nobody thinks twice about it.

;)

WTF

WTH?!?!

For me, the excitement of collecting 'old things' is happening upon something, be it furniture, pottery, a comic book etc, that has maintained its great condition over a long period of time. That's something really cool and special and I collect that.

If something has been 'manipulated' in some way to appear as if it has maintained its great condition over a long period of time, when it really hasn't, that does not interest me.

You can call it pressing, restoration, conservation, Implants, Billy-Jo, or whatever you want. It's most certainly manipulation and that's ok! Just not in my collection.

For me, the excitement of collecting 'old things' is happening upon something, be it furniture, pottery, a comic book etc, that has maintained its great condition over a long period of time. That's something really cool and special and I collect that.

If something has been 'manipulated' in some way to appear as if it has maintained its great condition over a long period of time, when it really hasn't, that does not interest me.

You can call it pressing, restoration, conservation, Implants, Billy-Jo, or whatever you want. It's most certainly manipulation and that's ok! Just not in my collection.

I 100% agree. (thumbs u

I 100% agree. (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure you would both be more than happy to have these in your collections...

mm4.jpg

allstar3.jpg

ddhitler.jpg

mm33.jpg

whiz19.jpg

superman9.jpg