• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

Heritage has a great internet system but it is really a pisser when you send in a bid only to have it disappear into the ether.
that happened to me on the MMC40...I kept clicking and nothing happened :cry:

Ashcans.

Stunned.

:facepalm:

Not an accurate reflection of true value and especially the rarity. Heritage did a great job with the pr spread but admittedly there is a limited market for the books. Apparently the key people who needed to be bidding weren't this time. Hit or miss, and it missed.

if you really want the book always use phone bid, they call you.

My choice is Red Raven # 1 if cost is no object. I bid on it early this month and then a few things happened

I will let you know my thinking on this. My thinking was the billy collection down the road will gather steam and value....I was wrong, the whole world knows about this 3.4 million dollars later, I knew when it hit USA today and all over it was gonna be big, not that big.

But, I was thinking the MH is 9.0 sold for over 70K and I could get this book for 35K and down the road when the pedigree gathered steam, I would add a great book to my collection with a killer cover, have a solid investment for the future, and be able to enjoy owning the book in my collection.

one thing stopped me, Theo...he too knew this book had great upside for the right price, and so I backed off, he bid and the book sold over both of our estimates(30-35K) and david got it for over 44k.

so be it,

I agree with you on that. It's not the first time it's happened to me and I should just go ahead and phone bid on everything.

My choice is Red Raven # 1 if cost is no object. I bid on it early this month and then a few things happened

I will let you know my thinking on this. My thinking was the billy collection down the road will gather steam and value....I was wrong, the whole world knows about this 3.4 million dollars later, I knew when it hit USA today and all over it was gonna be big, not that big.

But, I was thinking the MH is 9.0 sold for over 70K and I could get this book for 35K and down the road when the pedigree gathered steam, I would add a great book to my collection with a killer cover, have a solid investment for the future, and be able to enjoy owning the book in my collection.

one thing stopped me, Theo...he too knew this book had great upside for the right price, and so I backed off, he bid and the book sold over both of our estimates(30-35K) and david got it for over 44k.

so be it,

So... MANNUP OFF?

Ashcans.

Stunned.

Not an accurate reflection of true value and especially the rarity. Heritage did a great job with the pr spread but admittedly there is a limited market for the books. Apparently the key people who needed to be bidding weren't this time. Hit or miss, and it missed.

Yes, certainly feel sorry for Gary since the ashcans are indeed one of a kind and should have done better.

Maybe the recent trend of focusing on only the first tier titles and key issues dampened the interest in the ashcans. :(

Ashcans.

Stunned.

The market is VERY shallow.

Ashcans.

Stunned.

I think Moondog is a class act and I really feel for him. He offered me the opportunity to buy a quality example of one of his ashcans about six months ago or so when I expressed interest, but I decided the price point was too high. Not so much because I couldn't afford the one issue he offered me, but because I knew if I started buying ashcans I'd want them all, and when I did the math at the number he quoted, it became readily apparent that the financial commitment was more than I wanted to make for a commodity with little market history that I couldn't rationally view as an investment.

When I saw this lot, I thought about bidding. I gave serious consideration to just limiting myself to picking up the ashcans of Boy Commandos and Commandos, along with going for the regular Boy Commandos issues in the auction as I thought that's be neat. But, again, I intentionally stayed away because I knew that I'd end up wanting first all those other ashcans that have Boy Commandos on the cover, and then all the other ashcans, and the math just didn't make sense at the pre-sale estimates (which usually are low) so I decided it was better not to go down that road.

But, I'd have easily paid these prices. Boy do I regret my choice. I hope one person got all those ashcans, so that Gary has the leverage to negotiate better deals when that person comes looking for the rest. It's a shame if they just get dispersed, as I think the ashcans are some of the coolest items around.

Ashcans.

Stunned.

I think Moondog is a class act and I really feel for him. He offered me the opportunity to buy a quality example of one of his ashcans about six months ago or so when I expressed interest, but I decided the price point was too high. Not so much because I couldn't afford the one issue he offered me, but because I knew if I started buying ashcans I'd want them all, and when I did the math at the number he quoted, it became readily apparent that the financial commitment was more than I wanted to make for a commodity with little market history that I couldn't rationally view as an investment.

When I saw this lot, I thought about bidding. I gave serious consideration to just limiting myself to picking up the ashcans of Boy Commandos and Commandos, along with going for the regular Boy Commandos issues in the auction as I thought that's be neat. But, again, I intentionally stayed away because I knew that I'd end up wanting first all those other ashcans that have Boy Commandos on the cover, and then all the other ashcans, and the math just didn't make sense at the pre-sale estimates (which usually are low) so I decided it was better not to go down that road.

But, I'd have easily paid these prices. Boy do I regret my choice. I hope one person got all those ashcans, so that Gary has the leverage to negotiate better deals when that person comes looking for the rest. It's a shame if they just get dispersed, as I think the ashcans are some of the coolest items around.

All but two of them went to a very good home. ;)

Ashcans.

Stunned.

:applause:

Ashcans.

Stunned.

Which didn't you get? I assume Action Funnies and ....?

The other reason I was hesitant to buy an ashcan off Moondog through the private sale he offered, was I guessed that you might have an effective right of first refusal becuase of your past dealings. When I saw these at Heritage, I thought he made a great move by putting these up for auction instead of just offering them to you at a set price because he'd get the benefit of competitive bidding, but now I see I overestimated the value of Heritage versus a private sale for items of this type.

Ironically, I have a vague memory of Moondog once posting that he'd had bad luck selling through Heritage, but perhaps I misremember.

Ashcans.

Stunned.

Which didn't you get? I assume Action Funnies and ....?

The other reason I was hesitant to buy an ashcan off Moondog through the private sale he offered, was I guessed that you might have an effective right of first refusal becuase of your past dealings. When I saw these at Heritage, I thought he made a great move by putting these up for auction instead of just offering them to you at a set price because he'd get the benefit of competitive bidding, but now I see I overestimated the value of Heritage versus a private sale for items of this type.

Ironically, I have a vague memory of Moondog once posting that he'd had bad luck selling through Heritage, but perhaps I misremember.

I let the Action Funnies go b/c I already own one, although the one Gary had is in nicer condition (although for ashcans I honestly don't care that much).

And I lost out on the Commandos ashcan b/c I screwed up on the online bidding and mistakenly turned off the bidding function and by the time I discovered I did so it was too late. Otherwise I would have won it. doh!

Gary and I, of course, discussed all the books in advance but quite frankly it was too many at once and I was hoping he would be able to obtain a TON more money through Heritage than via me. That would have been great for us both. He gets a lot of money and I would hopefully derive the residual value by having strong prices paid for ashcans.

I think Heritage did a great job with the marketing of the books. You can't beat the spread that was given. I suppose one could argue one way or the other about whether it was good or bad for the books to come directly after the Wright books. But that would be nothing more than academic because we would never know if the bidders on the Wright books would have pursued the ashcans.

At the end of the day, the right people just weren't watching. It happens. Hopefully next time it will be different.

When that will be I don't know b/c for the time being these books aren't going anywhere other than in my collection. (thumbs u

Of course, Gary always has visiting rights. :hi:

the auction is far from over,,,,we have a lot of billys books left both in this auction and the 30 on the sunday auction. Folks some the rarest stuff is yet come, smart collectors know what I am talking about.....and some collectors do not just bid on the internet, I see better prices ahead