• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

I would say undervalued would be Savage Dragon, the story was great and could easily have been done into a movie...

maybe some of the later issues once the print runs really started to shrink... I love Savage Dragon and think it's still one of the best books going, but there's just no way those early issues are ever going to pick up steam...

The early IMAGE issues will never be worth anything.

If there is ever a movie Megaton 2, 3 and Graphic Fantasy #1 will be the books to see a big bump. 2c

I dunno about that, NM 98 was actually a semi-hot book pretty immediately...but in those days we're talking $5 and it was considered a breakout from the other Liefield NM books except 87.

hm

hm hm hm

deadpool_1.jpg

(thumbs u

I remember buying that book back in the day. Read it a few times (and liked it, I think...) but never got the rest of the series. I think I sold it on ebay a few years ago...

I've never quite understood why Birds of Prey 8 broke out like it did. And remains so highly sought after today even. I figured it would be like Green Arrow 101, once the demand subsided, it would come back down to earth. But nope... (shrug)

Chew 1 jumps to mind as overvalued. The series has a set "end". Definitely reminiscent of Preacher, hot until the end, settles at a nice number but no where near what it's going for now.

Chew will follow the same path as Y: The Last Man, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Sandman, etc. Great books in their day but the demand will wane. It will be possible to pick up Chew #1 and other issues at lower prices; you just have to be patient.

When is the Chew series going to end, have they given an approx. date?

What do you all think is a fair price for the white cover Ultimate Spiderman 1 in CGC 9.6, 9.8 and raw?

9.8's have been selling for about $650 - $700 on eBay as of late. Not certain about the 9.6's and raws, but I think the 9.6's go for around $350ish? I think the Blue Target Variant is more rare (I think?) but it doesn't have the clout of the white one and sells for a little less, but more than the DF Variant AFAIK.

As for over/under's on moderns:

Over:

GFT's (but sex does sell, so people - like me! - will pay it)

WD #1,

New 52 Sketches,

Spider-Man #1 ('90) Platinum,

Sup's 75 Platinum Variant

and maybe Chew #1

Under:

TF #1 is the only one that comes to mind atm

Jerome

I dunno about that, NM 98 was actually a semi-hot book pretty immediately...but in those days we're talking $5 and it was considered a breakout from the other Liefield NM books except 87.

hm

hm hm hm

deadpool_1.jpg

(thumbs u

i got this from a 50p box at the weekend

When is the Chew series going to end, have they given an approx. date?

What do you all think is a fair price for the white cover Ultimate Spiderman 1 in CGC 9.6, 9.8 and raw?

9.8's have been selling for about $650 - $700 on eBay as of late. Not sure about the 9.6's and raws, but I think the 9.6's go for around $350ish? I think the Blue Target Variant is more rare (I think?) but it doesn't have the clout of the white one and sells for a little less, but more than the DF Variant AFAIK.

Jerome

Not sure of a date, but I'm pretty sure Layman has said that it will run about 60 issues...

I've never quite understood why Birds of Prey 8 broke out like it did. And remains so highly sought after today even. I figured it would be like Green Arrow 101, once the demand subsided, it would come back down to earth. But nope... (shrug)

Have you read the issue? Its an excellent story. The print run isnt very high as well. There is a sequel to the story as well in an annual, but dont remember which one I think it was nightwing although I cant say 100%. Id much rather see an issue like this maintain its value.

Have you read the issue? Its an excellent story. The print run isnt very high as well. There is a sequel to the story as well in an annual, but dont remember which one I think it was nightwing although I cant say 100%. Id much rather see an issue like this maintain its value.

Nightwing Annual #2 is the sequel. Agreed that BOP #8 is a nice book, although I also agree that it's overpriced. (that's why I currently have 9.6 and 9.8 copies for sale.) It's also possible to find them relatively cheap; I think I found both of these copies for around $10 each raw.

Unless issue 60 of Chew ends with everyone getting their brains blown out that doesn't eliminate the possibility of a second series or periodic TPBs or whatever keeping things alive. Grendel/Primer I guess is one where the value has held up even though we don't see much Grendel nowadays. also, the Hellboy firsts, though Mignola does pop out a Hellboy mini now and then (no reason Chew can't have one every year or two).

I do hear you on the Preacher 1/Sandman 1 comparison though, though both, I assume, had hefty six digit print-runs given their era.

:applause:

I do hear you on the Preacher 1/Sandman 1 comparison though, though both, I assume, had hefty six digit print-runs given their era.

FWIW, Comichron says Preacher #1 had a print run of 28,200: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1995/1995-02Diamond.html

but also says "These are rankings for Diamond. Capital City's rankings are coming soon."

I can see a smaller print run because of the high cover price, being a Vertigo book, and since Garth Ennis was only starting to become popular (Hellblazer + Demon).