• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,553 posts in this topic

I paid the 2004 OPG variant price in fine ($50, i think), not the regular issue price ($30 something)

Not something I usually do, but on this issue I made an exception.

Do you still think a Fine variant goes for what a 9.0 is listed at for the variant issue in OPG ($182)?

If so, does slabbing a mid-grade issue like this make any sense? Is the $180whatever dependent on a slabbing? A good scan ought to give people a good idea of the grade. I only ask because I've seen some of these variants in low grade slabbed and I don't understand why.

If I can triple my money it may make sense to move it. It would make my wife happy, give her the impression that I can actually turn a profit on the comics every once in a while (so long as she doesn't chase after my 10,000 other treasures!)

so you paid $75 for a slabbed VG variant or $180 + 50% ($270?)?

i see darthdiesel slabs the mid and low grades.

darth, is there a reason? are people worried about "fake" variants?

just curious.

i vaguely remember seeing a slabbed VF variant go in the mid/high $200s a couple of months ago.

so you paid $75 for a slabbed VG variant or $180 + 50% ($270?)?

i see darthdiesel slabs the mid and low grades.

darth, is there a reason? are people worried about "fake" variants?

just curious.

i vaguely remember seeing a slabbed VF variant go in the mid/high $200s a couple of months ago.

hi.gif I was probably involved in all transactions you mentioned in above post.

The reason I slab the X-men 98-100 variants is to increase confidence in the product for buyers who don't know me from the next guy. For instance, I know Harry (ShieldAgent) prefers unslabbed books so if I come across an upgrade for him, I'll offer it raw. But then again we have deal history behind that trust.

Slabbing also has to do a lot with the general feeling on ebay that all sellers overgrade. So with midgrades, even with a large scan which I use, it can be a guessing game for certain new buyers and I'm guessing they'll bid lower based with that "sellers overgrade" bias in mind. To me, even the mid grades are worth slabbing on these since you not only get variant collectors' attention on these Xmen but the general larger X-men comic collecting population takes some notice of these semi key issues. Also I've come across many copies where stuff is cut out - slabbing coupled with a fairly large scan reduces pretty much all doubt about what you will end up with in hand.

As for fake variants, we have had some discussed on here, i.e. Iron Fist 14 and Star Wars 1 - usually the 35 cent variants. Some sellers may not include a scan and call something a variant which is truly a reprint. Yeah I'd say that when it comes to higher dollar deals for these books, I'd be concerned about the variant's authenticity, especially from unproven sellers or those with scans that look like they were stolen from past auctions.

Okay club members since I am trying to complete a 30 cent variant set I have become keenly aware of how tough some of these variants are to get. Since Paul has categorized them from Cat 1 to 5 I was wondering how many of these variants exist. Based on my limited experience in collecting them for the past 5 months I have these estimates:

Cat 1 Common (401-550 per title exist)

Cat 2 Uncommon (276-400 per title exist)

Cat 3 Very uncommon (151-275 per title exist)

Cat 4 Scare (26-150 per title exist)

Cat 5 Rare (less than 25 per title exist)

Now this is just a range and certain variants fall within the lower range and others in the upper range. For example among the Cat 4 variants I don't think that the X-Men are nearly as tough to find as Two-Gun Kid. I am in the ballpark here?

What would your esimates of the above be? Let us know.

thumbsup2.gif

Edited by metarog

Okay club members since I am trying to complete a 30 cent variant set I have become keenly aware of how tough some of these variants are to get. Since Paul has categorized them from Cat 1 to 5 I was wondering how many of these variants exist. Based on my limited experience in collecting them for the past 5 months I have these estimates:

Cat 1 Common (401-550 per title exist)

Cat 2 Uncommon (276-400 per title exist)

Cat 3 Very uncommon (151-275 per title exist)

Cat 4 Scare (26-150 per title exist)

Cat 5 Rare (less than 25 per title exist)

Now this is just a range and certain variants fall within the lower range and others in the upper range. For example among the Cat 4 variants I don't think that the X-Men are nearly as tough to find as Two-Gun Kid. I am in the ballpark here?

What would your esimates of the above be? Let us know.

thumbsup2.gif

Category 0: Howard the Duck 3 and 4, and Eternals 1. More variants exist than non-variants.

I mentioned to some of you that there may be another deal in the works. 400+ boxes were purchased about 90 miles south of Toledo and brought back to atlanta. You know what is strange..... Not 1 single variant in the whole thing. Now this could be explained by various reasons like....

1. cosmic has known about this all along and picked them all out!!!!

2. Only about 150 boxes fit the correct era requirements

But still not a single one???? Esp weird since the basement has been untouched since 1985. I guess we were spoiled by that last big Ohio find.

Maybe these things are RARE?

Edited by finecomics

hey guys,

just wanted to post a little warning about a guy out in Vegas:

Avengers 164 Variant

yes used the buy it now. waited a week and i got

THE REGULAR 30 CENT ISSUE!!! frustrated.gif

when i tried to contact the buyer

did not respond to any emails.

called the number he left at ebay and that is not his number.

paypal will not honor their protection policy, seems it has nothing to do with goods, only if the shipment does not arrive or is never shipped. What a gimmick for paypal!

filed a square trade complaint. waiting to hear.

Any of you guys ever deal with this guy? Seems like a vegas scam to me. mad.gif

any suggestions on what i should do next?

appreciate the help!

foreheadslap.gif

That auction seemed very tricky. Shows the 35cent comic, but the auction is for 35 books. Sends the regular 30 cent issue. The picture was mis-leading, but never in the auction description does he mention any variants.

That isn't tricky--that's just plain wrong.

Part of the real game--The picture shows a variant--Either you know it is a variant, or you don't. Comichunter is one of the best at finding these types of "hidden" variant auctions.

Frank(comichunters)--you lose because you did not get what was pictured--for that you should get a refund and shipping costs because the picture was mis-leading.

I doubt it was a scam--if it was they should have picked a better variant and jacked the price higher than $45.

It reminds me of the time I saw you bid on another auction where the seller lifted someone elses picture (milehigh) for their auction, and they happened to choose a variant..........remember that one?--the guy was from a test city also.

Make sure they get their neg.