• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

I know Mitch pretty well; he's a nice guy in person, and passionate about comics, but message board-speak and communicating in person are two different things. (shrug)

His garbage has got zero to do with 'internet miscommunication' and everything to do with his head not being wired right. (thumbs u

FT, you...have good people skills;

meh

(tsk)Here is the unedited version reprised:

FT, you're an excellent communicator and have good people skills; can't you cut the poor bloke a little slack?

Who knows, after a couple of pints of good English ale you might come off less articulate than Mitch!

BTW, if you want to test my theory I'll buy the first pint! My wife and I are touring the UK in support of her books next month.

Context is everything. I was encouraging Flaming Telepath to cut Mitch some slack in spite of how bellicose his posts come across at times. Just trying to wind down the vitriol a bit. (shrug)

Having never met the gentleman, I'll admit that I don't know whether or not FT has good people skills, but I'm assuming that he does if he's well liked here.

The bottom line: it doesn't matter if my approach is glass half full and FT's is glass half empty as long as both pints of ale get consumed! :grin:

FT is not only a scrupulously honest dealer but a nice guy. It is because of his efforts that things like the hugely successful board dinner at the recent London Con happen. RMA is just up to his old tricks again, so my advice is :troll:

BC: everybody opinion counts....and while some disagree with my viewpoint, I do not see you bidding 40K on the check, in fact I do not see any board member bidding that kind of money on a cashed check.

Why do you attempt to justify this purchase because somebody wants it, so they want, I am not saying for $500 bucks they should not add it to there collection, we are talking about 40000 big ones...something is wrong here BC...it is outta wack with comic book world reality. Just like paying, say $250,000 for a restored comic book.

In this instance, I can say with certainty that you are incorrect.

I know Mitch pretty well; he's a nice guy in person, and passionate about comics, but message board-speak and communicating in person are two different things. (shrug)

His garbage has got zero to do with 'internet miscommunication' and everything to do with his head not being wired right. (thumbs u

meh

FT, you're an excellent communicator and have good people skills; can't you cut the poor bloke a little slack?

Who knows, after a couple of pints of good English ale you might come off less articulate than Mitch!

BTW, if you want to test my theory I'll buy the first pint! My wife and I are touring the UK in support of her books next month.

Context is everything. I was encouraging Flaming Telepath to cut Mitch some slack in spite of how bellicose his posts come across at times. Just trying to wind down the vitriol a bit. (shrug)

Having never met the gentleman, I'll admit that I don't know whether or not FT has good people skills, but I'm assuming that he does if he's well liked here.

The bottom line: it doesn't matter if my approach is glass half full and FT's is glass half empty as long as both pints of ale get consumed! :grin:

Not only is FT articulate in person, he's more articulate after "a few pints" than most people who have not touched a drop.

I'm not so sure drinking and posting is Mitch's problem. It might be more arrogance and posting.

In either case, it's nice of you to defend him, but he seems to enjoy the flak. I asked Mitch a while ago what schools he went to, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was wondering if he had earned his degree by clerking, rather than attending actual universities.

Since he did attend both undergrad and grad schools, I can't imagine how he could have graduated with the grammar and spelling he exhibits here, so I can only believe he has very little respect for the people he's addressing.

He's proven that by the way he writes and the things he says in writing.

meh

Not only is FT articulate in person, he's more articulate after "a few pints" than most people who have not touched a drop.

I'm not so sure drinking and posting is Mitch's problem. It might be more arrogance and posting.

In either case, it's nice of you to defend him, but he seems to enjoy the flak. I asked Mitch a while ago what schools he went to, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was wondering if he had earned his degree by clerking, rather than attending actually universities.

Since he did attend both undergrad and grad schools, I can't imagine how he could have graduated with the grammar and spelling he exhibits here, so I can only believe he has very little respect for the people he's addressing.

Way to stick it in him, Sharon.

meh

In either case, it's nice of you to defend him, but he seems to enjoy the flak. I asked Mitch a while ago what schools he went to, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was wondering if he had earned his degree by clerking, rather than attending actually universities.

Law school is not as hard as you think it is.Anybody with average intelligence can go to law school and succeed.Maybe not Harvard or Yale, but the hundreds of law schools in America are not hard to get into,as long as you can pay and get decent b grades.It`s a hyped myth.There is more unemployed lawyers then working lawyers right now. What`s scary is they are the majority of people making the laws who are running the country. Now on the other hand medical school that`s much much harder. ;)

enought of the BS

got 1 question mmehdy......is it your money?

if no then shut up and go away you have no say in what someone wants to spend on whatever they feel, why are you bringing it up here

contact the buyer and person_without_enough_empathy at them if this is as it seems a HUGE bug up your about it

just bc you wouldn't buy it at that price doesn't mean others wouldn't (or buy it at all)

me personaly i would love to buy it, and i would be able to if i was willing to take that big of a hit in taxes......but just bc you can do something doesn't mean you should

i'm sry but i don't see your PoV of how this check going for 40k is going to kill the comic market or whatever your preaching about

how can this check in our comic book world justify a price of 40K....it cannot and should not.

There are two aspects of our hobby.

We are looking at the comics itself which is the driving force.

We are also looking at comics ephemera.

Both Lines are Part of Same Hobby but Separate and will not signal the end of one or the other.

If you had the chance to purchase the desk Siegel and Shuster created and drew Superman on would you say no? What about the typewriter they used to write the stories?

What about SOTI. Its not a comic but it is part of hobby.

Don't let the existence of one dim your love of the other.

+1

This pretty much happens in every pop culture collector market. People like to own odd or "fringe" items associated directly or indirectly with what they are actually collecting.

For instance - a Beatles collector purchased John Lennon's tooth for $30,000. A Marilyn Monroe fan bought an x-ray of her chest for $45,000. An Elvis collector bought a clump of his hair for $15,000. A Star Wars fan bought the light saber used by Luke Skywalker in the first movie for $240,000. A Terminator movie fan bought a T-800 endoskelton from Terminator 2 for $488,000 and so on and so on.

Are these collectibles? Are they worth these prices? They certainly are to these "superfans" who buy them and it certainly doesn't diminish the rest of their "true" collection. In fact it probably brings more attention to that collectible market and hopefully more fans to that hobby.

BC: everybody opinion counts....and while some disagree with my viewpoint, I do not see you bidding 40K on the check, in fact I do not see any board member bidding that kind of money on a cashed check.

Why do you attempt to justify this purchase because somebody wants it, so they want, I am not saying for $500 bucks they should not add it to there collection, we are talking about 40000 big ones...something is wrong here BC...it is outta wack with comic book world reality. Just like paying, say $250,000 for a restored comic book.

In this instance, I can say with certainty that you are incorrect.

also, if that statement is true, then why Mitch are you preaching here? you should be standing in front of Metro office with a sign and blow horn.

You and I both know that we had better get some reality in the collectors market. Just today a movie poster seller who made phony posters was given 7 years in jail....just wait till it hits the comic book world if this phoney stuff comes into the market and we are inviting this type of fraud with $40,000 price tags on an old check...

Your stock in trade is Criswellian predictions, Mitch, but you blew it on this one. I predicted the check would bring $50,000... and I was close. Investments are critical to you, so you really should have bought the check. At $40k, had I had the money, I'd have bought it as a promotional item for my shop... it could easily be worth that in advertising revenue if handled properly.

MY prediction... down the road, if it comes up for sale, it will top $100k in not too many years. Paired and elegantly framed, with say, a low-grade copy of Action #1, it would make a fantastic historical display item.

BTW -- the check didn't steal Superman. A contract (this first one) agreed to by all parties was signed, and a check paid. DC had no way of knowing Superman would be any more or less successful than a hundred other characters they were paying for and trying out at the time. It's called risk-reward... sometimes it pays off, and sometimes you lose your shirt. In 1938, the comics business itself was highly risky. Reneging on a contact years later... now THAT'S stealing.

I love you guys, but you can all be so full of mess sometimes.

People flock to these threads because they derive some satisfaction, either from mocking Mitch, or watching him get mocked by others. Why is it so hard for people to admit that they take pleasure in absolute ing nonsense? The righteous indignation act is as much of a self-deception as Mitch's delusions of comic-grandeur.

ouch. yeah, I suppose you're correct. I'm just not deriving any pleasure from mm bashing. I do enjoy it when it happens to Cal, just not to Mehdy for some reason. At least Cal has some sort of a sense of humor.

meh

Law school is not as hard as you think it is.Anybody with average intelligence can go to law school and succeed.Maybe not Harvard or Yale, but the hundreds of law schools in America are not hard to get into,as long as you can pay and get decent b grades.It`s a hyped myth.There is more unemployed lawyers then working lawyers right now. What`s scary is they are the majority of people making the laws who are running the country. Now on the other hand medical school that`s much much harder. ;)

Are you another one of the board lawyers? lol

That stat you sort of cite about more lawyers "unemployed then (sic) working" should actually read "more lawyers not practicing law than practicing".

There are plenty of lawyers who use the skills they learn to be writers, businessmen, real estate investors, or any of a dozen other fields where their skills may help in their success but never actually "practice law". Those stats normally include those that voluntarily cease their registration as well, such as those that retire.

There are just over 1 million lawyers practicing in the US, and while there will be some that exhibit, ahem, less than impressive mental acuity, to say "average intelligence" is all that is needed to get through law school may be an incorrect statement. When less than 4/10th of 1% of the population of a country have reached that professional level I don't know if "average" anything gets you there.

Let's not let the least of our brethren be the standard bearer for the battalion.

You and I both know that we had better get some reality in the collectors market. Just today a movie poster seller who made phony posters was given 7 years in jail....just wait till it hits the comic book world if this phoney stuff comes into the market and we are inviting this type of fraud with $40,000 price tags on an old check...

Your stock in trade is Criswellian predictions, Mitch, but you blew it on this one. I predicted the check would bring $50,000... and I was close. Investments are critical to you, so you really should have bought the check. At $40k, had I had the money, I'd have bought it as a promotional item for my shop... it could easily be worth that in advertising revenue if handled properly.

MY prediction... down the road, if it comes up for sale, it will top $100k in not too many years. Paired and elegantly framed, with say, a low-grade copy of Action #1, it would make a fantastic historical display item.

BTW -- the check didn't steal Superman. A contract (this first one) agreed to by all parties was signed, and a check paid. DC had no way of knowing Superman would be any more or less successful than a hundred other characters they were paying for and trying out at the time. It's called risk-reward... sometimes it pays off, and sometimes you lose your shirt. In 1938, the comics business itself was highly risky. Reneging on a contact years later... now THAT'S stealing.

Jeez, you come on here with your years of experience and professional expertise, posting in an articulate, reasonable manner using logic and common sense to make your excellent points. Don't you know how this place works yet? :baiting:

meh

Dude, why do you even bother? The more you defend Mitch the stupider you look. Why subject yourself to that? Don't you know that Mitch wipes his assssss with your collection? (Yes, even if he sold you something from his collection and it's now in your collection, your collection still sucks.)

Action comics #1 if the mile high copy ever hits the market and is the highest graded say at 9.6 would approach 5 million if not today then in the near future, if the copy was to be flipped say in 2020 it could hit 10 million, there is no other collectable in comics that comes close to the upside of this book. If you have a 9.0 graded copy today it would bring 2.5 million.

there is no other collectable in comics that comes close to the upside of this book.

I respectfully disagree here. Not sure whether you're talking about the Mile High copy of Action 1 in particular or any copy of Action # 1, but original art (particularly covers) from many of the Top 100 Golden Age and/or key Silver Age books--if they a) exist and b) were up for sale, could smoke Action # 1.

Again--they're different animals--comics themselves vs. comics ephemera. But there are unique comics-related items (such as top-tier original art) that I believe would bring more than an "average" copy of Action Comics # 1.

And for me, original art pages to a book like Action 1, Detective 27 or Superman 1--if they exist and featured the key characters in costume--could and should bring more money than even the Mile High copy of Action 1. _And_ present more "upside" potential.

meh

Dude, why do you even bother? The more you defend Mitch the stupider you look. Why subject yourself to that? Don't you know that Mitch wipes his assssss with your collection? (Yes, even if he sold you something from his collection and it's now in your collection, your collection still sucks.)

Obvious irony aside, it comes down to mind over matter. I assume you know the rest of that colloquialism. :grin:

I wipe my azzzzzzzzz with your Action # 1.

hmCharmin. You seem to be on a roll; what do you do for an encore? :blush:

there is no other collectable in comics that comes close to the upside of this book.

I respectfully disagree here. Not sure whether you're talking about the Mile High copy of Action 1 in particular or any copy of Action # 1, but original art (particularly covers) from many of the Top 100 Golden Age and/or key Silver Age books--if they a) exist and b) were up for sale, could smoke Action # 1.

Again--they're different animals--comics themselves vs. comics ephemera. But there are unique comics-related items (such as top-tier original art) that I believe would bring more than an "average" copy of Action Comics # 1.

And for me, original art pages to a book like Action 1, Detective 27 or Superman 1--if they exist and featured the key characters in costume--could and should bring more money than even the Mile High copy of Action 1. _And_ present more "upside" potential.

Well stated, and a very valid point. Determining the market value of comics reproduced from original art is based upon multiple copies of existing issues evaluated through demand, but original art is a unique collectible.