• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

For baseball cards it's Honus Wagner

Isn't that upside down plane a holy grail stamp?

Inverted Jennys are the most famous error in American philately (they number approx 100)

thus most sought by American collectors, but by no means most valuable or rare...

I don't understand what you mean? The OP asked for equivalents of Action 1 for other hobbies. These examples are just that... Holy grails for other hobbies.

The above examples are the action 1 equivalents in baseball cards and stamps.

I posted the Action 1 equivalent for philately on Page 1

The Inverted Jenny would be an equivalent Superman #1

I posted the Action 1 equivalent for philately on Page 1

The Inverted Jenny would be an equivalent Superman #1

well said.

I guess to me the difference is in somethings uniqueness...

There are multiple action comics #1 (53 in CGC census, plus how ever many raw)

So its possibly not the rarest comic (Im sure there's something out there rarer, just not as valuable), but it is the most consistently valuable, and most prized.

Comparing it to 1 of a kind items doesnt jive (since there are more than 1) so the prototypes and uniques dont seem to me like Action Comics #1s... to me they are more like original art, very valuable, but one of a kind (like say if someone owned the Cover Art to Action Comics #1).

I guess I was not necessarily asking what the most valuable item was in other hobbies (its a factor for sure) but what other hobbies "crown jewel" is... and by that I mean when you hear someone has "one of the greatest collections of ___________" you assume that means they have _______

fill in the blank:

Joe has one of the top comic book collections in the world. He has an Action Comics #1.

Sam has one of the top GI joe collections in the world. He has a MIB 1950s GI Nurse.

Susan has one of the best Beanie Babies collections, including a Peanut the Royal Blue Elephant

and so on.... without the item, people would see the "top" collection as incomplete...

so I guess that was what I was thinking when I asked what the Action Comics #1 was for other hobbies...not just about cost, but also what is iconic but attainable in that hobbies collection...

'52 Mantle can't be far behind, can it?

'52 Mantle can't be far behind, can it?

there are over 1000 graded Mantles

There were somewhere between 60 and 200 produced T-206 Wagners...

the '52 Mantle is more of an Amazing Fantasy #15 to me... Iconic but not as rare...

Classic muscle Cars; all Shelby's? Vintage Ferraris?

I think it's too collector/era-specific. '57 Chevy Bel-air is valuable grail for the era. So are '32 3-window coupes, '41 Willys, '50 Mercury, so forth. Just depends on if you're into traditional hotrods, gassers, musclecars or even the Eurotrash stuff like Ferarris and Yugos.

My personal musclecar grail? 1970 Superbird. 1500 made, street-legal 200mph car, changed NASCAR forever and inspiring avid ricers to buy non-functioning spoliers. $100-$150k makes it a grail for sure.

plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg

Classic muscle Cars; all Shelby's? Vintage Ferraris?

I think it's too collector/era-specific. '57 Chevy Bel-air is valuable grail for the era. So are '32 3-window coupes, '41 Willys, '50 Mercury, so forth. Just depends on if you're into traditional hotrods, gassers, musclecars or even the Eurotrash stuff like Ferarris and Yugos.

My personal musclecar grail? 1970 Superbird. 1500 made, street-legal 200mph car, changed NASCAR forever and inspiring avid ricers to buy non-functioning spoliers. $100-$150k makes it a grail for sure.

plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg

:takeit: classic!

Rock-era vinyl LPs: The Beatles Yesterday and Today, sealed mono "butcher cover", 1st state...

myt2553.jpg

I have a really sweet copy of this that I picked up at a yard sale for a dollar back in the 70's..not sealed though, and not first stae (is second state, but was an undetectable peel job so I could easily pass it off as first were I more like Robo).

I stopped paying attention to video games as collectibles a few years back, but at the time the Nintendo World Championships Gold cartridge would probably have been the Action equivalent.

There were some damn rare Neo Geo carts that would have been up there as well, such as Kizuna Encounter.

Edit - I guess that's what I get for taking forever to type my post.

Pretty sure the Action 1 of magazines is the 1887 edition of Beeton's Christmas Annual containing the 1st appearance of Sherlock Holmes.

You could say this is the Action 1 of pulps too. If not, then it's the October, 1912 issue of All-Story Magazine containing the 1st appearance of Tarzan.

I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan, yet never knew this. Thank you for this post!

For electric basses, the Jaco Pastorius'es 1962 Fender Jazz bass, frettless.

wow, I had never heard this was found! I always hoped it would turn up, somewhere

is a video of Will Lee playing it.