• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

So every country in Europe gets it's Marvel fix on a regular basis, but I have to wait ten years in between english translations of Jaques Tardi's Nestor Burma adaptations. Boooo!

lol

If you think that as they finally presented Blake & Mortimer in the US, it was treated as a "children’s book", you see there is definitely something wrong.

In Italy we are still waiting to see the Golden Age of comic books as a whole, anyway. That makes about 70 years… ;)

Question for those of you who are experts in this sort of thing: It's my understanding that El Sargento Furia not only reprinted Marvel's Sgt. Fury stories, but also presented new stories done by Mexican creators after Marvel stopped doing new content for the book. I was wondering if anyone knows which issues of El Sargento Furia contain new material, as I'd be very curious to read some of these original Mexican Sgt. Fury tales.

Question for those of you who are experts in this sort of thing: It's my understanding that El Sargento Furia not only reprinted Marvel's Sgt. Fury stories, but also presented new stories done by Mexican creators after Marvel stopped doing new content for the book. I was wondering if anyone knows which issues of El Sargento Furia contain new material, as I'd be very curious to read some of these original Mexican Sgt. Fury tales.

Although there are missing covers and some don't exactly match up, the best place to see the covers compared to their American counterparts, is to see Raul Pantojas' El Sargento Furia collection. He has them very well organized and scanned:

http://www.bauldelcomic.com/portadas.php?edi=mex&cve=epsf&pag=1

For everyone which may be interested:

All Turok, Magnus Robot Fighter and Solar had italian editions, which are not exaggeratedly cheap but not exaggeratedly hard to find.

@Crimebuster: That’s great about the Sergeant Fury mexican editions.

We have had just 13 episodes of the series published in Italy, way before the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, and those are among the rarest italian Marvel editions.

I started collecting some German Gen 13s by Splitter that featured JSC's interior work from the series blown up and used on the cover. Sadly, half of the ones I bought were really, really substandard printing quality and they don't look very good. (they scanned at too low of resolution when reproducing the cover art) But thankfully, my favorite one turned out looking good:

Gen13G4.jpg

I think I'm going to have JSC sign them, but the sad part is that they're not going to come back probably any better than 8.5s. They all have a massive corner crunching on them.