• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

ehheeh...I partially disagree with you...

– Magazzino from NM9.4 to NM/M 9.8 but sometimes people call Magazzino the so called "copie di resa" : colored sides and found in special gift bags used to clean the publisher warehouses. These colored-sides copies are worth no more than the "Buono".

– Edicola anything between VF+8.5 and NM9.4

with Edicola minus being NM- 9.2

with ottimo/edicola being VF/NM 9.0

– Ottimo the entire range F/VF 7.0 to VF+8.5

with Ottimo plus being VF+ 8.5

– Buono from VG 4.0 to 6.5

– Discreto from G to VG

– Mediocre in the FR to FRG range

...my intervention is just to underline the confusion in Italian Superhero collectors...

In some cases people overgrade the books, but most of the times grades are erratic because 90% of the collectors were born and will die as readers...

You can understand how difficult it is to build a real HIGH grade marvel collection....

I have seen a similar attitude in UK too!

PS my Marvel italian collection is one of the largest and most complete of Italy and I tend to grade with the american standard....The minimum grade I purchase for 70s books beeing 9.2!

Ciao Federico

As far as the terminology goes, there are generically a lot less "grade" terms.

More or less:

– Magazzino (this should stand for "Mint", but it’s debated)

– Edicola (literally "Newsstand", means the comic is in high grade, VF to NM);

– Ottimo (the equivalent of F);

– Buono (a rough equivalent of GVG to VG);

– Discreto (more or less a G);

– Mediocre (in the FR to FRG range).

Terms may vary a little, but you get the picture.

I thing germans have developed a way better numeric system for grading comics. hm

More or less:

I thing germans have developed a way better numeric system for grading comics. hm

Thanks for the clarification CLaudio! hm Makes sense for sure....

I have heard about the Germans way of grading and how their grading scale was pretty advanced? Do you know about it? Is it similar to the 10 point CGC scale we have here? Curious now..... I have also been told by some that of all the countries in Europe the Germans were the most obsessed about grade and condition. High grade CGC-able German books are more readily available I have seemed to notice and been told by some others? is this true in your opinion? hm

More or less:

I have heard about the Germans way of grading and how their grading scale was pretty advanced? Do you know about it? Is it similar to the 10 point CGC scale we have here? Curious now..... I have also been told by some that of all the countries in Europe the Germans were the most obsessed about grade and condition. High grade CGC-able German books are more readily available I have seemed to notice and been told by some others? is this true in your opinion? hm

This is the answer about the german grading scale:

http://www.comicguide.de/php/faq.php?nr=205

now, all we need, is someone who speaks german.

I posted a link in Copper with single pics....mucho gracias Hector and Matt this my be my1st completed set since I started summer 2012. If anyone finds another batman 423 please let me know so i can kill myself :tonofbricks:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7114570#Post7114570

20131013_185609_zpsfe44d763.jpg

awesome. Congratulations! (worship)

More or less:

comicfangermany (Thomas) comes on here every couple of months, and he is German!

– Magazzino from NM9.4 to NM/M 9.8 but sometimes people call Magazzino the so called "copie di resa" : colored sides and found in special gift bags used to clean the publisher warehouses. These colored-sides copies are worth no more than the "Buono".

– Discreto from G to VG

You know well that they are being quite arbitrarily applied, Federico, so it’s a lottery anyway. ;)

BTW, there are no people in the frame of mind to properly judge a NM- and call it "Edicola", let alone "Ottimo/Edicola", which at its best is generally a VF.

And when a dealer says "Ottimo" we see it pretty much covers the range from 5.5 to 8.0 – so as I said: it’s always a gamble unless you have the book in hand. :P

– Discreto from G to VG

You know well that they are being quite arbitrarily applied, Federico, so it’s a lottery anyway. ;)

BTW, there are no people in the frame of mind to properly judge a NM- and call it "Edicola", let alone "Ottimo/Edicola", which at its best is generally a VF.

And when a dealer says "Ottimo" we see it pretty much covers the range from 5.5 to 8.0 – so as I said: it’s always a gamble unless you have the book in hand. :P

man i wish i could find a nice Italian high grade Superman #592 (Flash 175)

I have not checked the link posted by Matteo, but some eBay dealers use a ten point scale (without decimals), so it’s 1-10, and you have no 7.5 or so…

Germans are precise anyway, so I guess they’ve found a way to make up for that (maybe with further descriptions?). :)

For those that have not seen a Foreign Comic Book blank...RedHead Batgirl by Mike Lilly...from Germany:

013_zpsbcef1342.jpg

Thats just freakin cool Hector!!!!! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Thank you, I waited for a long time

More or less:

comicfangermany (Thomas) comes on here every couple of months, and he is German!

Umm... my fiancee is from Germany. :baiting: Of course getting her to sit down and translate it for me is probably close to impossible. lol