• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,885 posts in this topic

Outside of UK reprints does anybody know if Marvel's bronze age Defenders books have foreign variants?

Hi Comicopolis, you have a big Defenders fan here! :)

The series was published initially on Albi dei Super-Eroi (confidentially A.S.E.) of which our friends lscomics, Define999 and Liaton-9000 already have some issues.

It was an antology title, so the Defenders appeared in rotation with other titles, but just to give you an idea here’s #1 (reprinting Marvel Feature #1 and #2).

K6QyGw9h.jpg

Then, given the success of certain characters (including the Defenders), the italian publishers launched a shared title called "Hulk e i Difensori" which lasted for … issues:

HULK_DIFENSORI_C_001.jpg

Finally, there was a 15 issues Difensori series which was interrupted when the publisher experienced economical problems, and then went bankrupt:

USABnySh.jpg

We had to wait until the early 1990s to have a new title (also an antology) presenting the Defenders. Title was called "All American Comics":

ALL_AMERICAN014.jpg

This was a special "Marvel Collection" issue picking up a batch of stories initially left out to bridge the gap between the "I Difensori" series (ended in 1982) and the "All American Comics" run in the 1990s (which starts with issue 14 above):

MC1.JPG

Excellent - many thanks for that. (worship)

Do you know if there were any issues that reprinted the cover for Defenders #4?

Outside of UK reprints does anybody know if Marvel's bronze age Defenders books have foreign variants?

Oh yes, the Dutch company Juniorpress reprinted about 80 issues in the late 70's through to the mid 80's

5727.jpg5737.jpg15176.jpg5683.jpg

Excellent :applause:

I want some now doh!

My son has the complete series. Will see if he has any doubles.

(worship)

Excellent - many thanks for that. (worship)

Do you know if there were any issues that reprinted the cover for Defenders #4?

Hi Comicopolis (I really like your avatar!),

yes, and like all the other issues (of the various titles) published in A.S.E. they opted for a cover frame design. Where the cover wasn’t originally a cover frame (previous or subsequent time frame) they turned it into a cover frame.

I have this copy available, but if wdb23 wants it, I’d give precedence to him as he asked first.

I have a good number of the other Defenders-related italian titles, but up to now I have kept them and I’m still unsure if I should let them go… hm

If either wdb23 or yourself is interested, send me a PM. I think it would not be exaggeratedly difficult to find another copy in decent grade, if needed.

5j9lnORh.jpg

All I can tell you is that an italian edition using the covers DOES NOT exist (the title was published as a backup feature of Fantastic Four, and that’s how I read it – and loved it – as a kid). (thumbs u

your a walking italian encyclopedia

maybe it was you that told me they did the same thing with Superman #76 story and never used the cover in the 60s